“"What a great experience"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Beijing Zoo

Beijing Zoo
Book In Advance
More Info
$108.00*
and up
Private Tour: Panda House Visit And Cruise To The Summer Palace With Imperial...
Beijing
“"What a great experience"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Everything around so beautiful and natural. Lovers of nature, i think you should go there even often. It's really Great.

Visited July 2012

• Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“There has to be a better place to see a Panda”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Let's be frank: everybody wants to see a Panda. But although they have a handful of Giant Pandas at display, there has to be a better place to see them. In miserable tiny dirty cages, the animals seem really bad. The big cats area stunk like freaking evil, and seeing siberean tigers in small stone cages is not exactly a good experience. I'm not a specialist, but I'm sure this is not the right way to treat animals. I felt really good when I left.

4 Thank Vinnie P
Perth, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Concrete bunker for the animals' but go to the aquarium'”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Well we read the reviews on trip advisor prior to attending the zoo; and yes the zoo is in need of some expertise on how to look after and care for these animals.I could write a novel on all the sad things we saw there such as the polar bear who was in a concrete bunker with no water in his pool and pacing back and forth at the window stomping through its own excretement looking gaunt ;with painted pictures of a scenery on its bunker; i'm sure it was praying for death to escape that place ....but ...if your an animal lover I would say make a direct line from the front gate and definitely go to the Aquarium{towards the back of the zoo area} as I would would rate that as extremely worthwhile.{fish;and sea creatures looked cared for and calm} There is a tank full of fish who were watching the people as much as we were looking at them....kind of strange feeling...
The zoo was 40RMB to enter {about $6 aud} the Aquarium was 100 RMB on top ($15) and worth while.
If you go to see the panda...it will cost you 5rmb on top of the entry fee....and I am sure there are better places to see Panda's in China ....but if this is the only place on your scheduled trip...then read the trip-advisor reviews and take the reviews on board ...otherwise you might come out upset and angry .

1 Thank Jackie B
Toronto, Canada
265 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 278 helpful votes
“Beyond Helpless”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Yes the variety of animals is extensive, but those poor animals! They may be better off dead, than to subsist in this zoo. The facilities are depressing and the cages are way too small. There are pandas to be seen , but it may not be worth it, when encountering the rest of the zoo. Shocking, humbling experience.

4 Thank must_travel_soon_10
Melbourne, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Very interesting but antiquated treatment of animals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Before we came here, I was aware of how animals are viewed in Asian countries - they are a source of food.

I expected to see animals in cages or displayed in rundown concrete cells similar to western zoos some 30 years. I also expected to see visitors viewing animals similar to a visit I made to the Gangzhou Zoo years ago when I overhead a visitor talking about how tasty pandas were.

Unfortunately things haven't changed quick enough for animal rights activists or those use to western zoos. Be prepared for visitors banging on the cages, yelling at the animals and even feeding them junk food. The better the reaction, the better the photo opportunity.

Although we saw some rare and endangered animals, their role in life was to be on display for the humans. I often wonder what the animals thought of the humans and their behaviours?

With my 11 yo son who wants to become a vet, we spent as much time talking about human psychology as we did about zoology. The zoo is conveniently located about a subway station.

BTW the zoo had an Australian section with a cafe that sold "Australian Style Food". They even had bronze statues of kangaroos positioned in from of a large picture of Uluru. It was hilarious especially when the kangaroo statues had crocodile like snouts!! The food menu included Beef in black bean sauce - an Aussie favourite! Also on offer was "New York style burger with fries" - sounds like McDonalds to me and yes another Aussie favourite. Part of the zoo was the Beijing Aquarium. They were charging 200 yuan for the privilege. We gave it a miss because we didn't want to see a fake Barrier Reef, deadly blue ring octopus or man-eating white pointers...

Did we see what we came for? Yes.

Did we see what we hoped for? Not yet.

1 Thank bill s

Been to Beijing Zoo? Share your experiences!