“So good”
Review of Austen Kitchen - CLOSED

Austen Kitchen
Cuisines: Diner, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Pleses make reservation in advance by phone or by email!Much appreciate! With a charming arrangement full of mahogany furniture, soft reading lamps and vintage music, Austen Cafe is an ideal place that is sweet and cosy enough for friends' reunion, couple's relaxation or colleagues' small talk after work. We serve Italian cuisine including pasta, lasagne, panini, breads and soups which are totally home made with top-shelf ingredients. And we also serve beef steak with authentic Australian red wine. besides, our cakes and deserts are favored most amoungst all we serve.Warm welcome to make a RESERVATION in advance!and Cash only now:)How to find us?A: Please take a taxi to the Nanluoguxiang(南锣鼓巷)the North entrance, go into the main street to the south, about 30 meters long, passing by a public toilet, on the LEFT hand the First hutong,named Xiaojuer Hutong(小菊儿胡同 )turn LEFT, go into about 20 meters you can see Austen Kitchen!B:By the No.6 subway get off at the Nanluoguxiang(南锣鼓巷 )station, go into the main street to the north, about 1000 meters passing by Starburks, on the RIGHT hand when you saw the Yogurt shop then ture right to the Xiaojuer Hutong(小菊儿胡同),go into 20 meters you can find Austen Kitchen!
“So good”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

So delicious panini and
Good wine
I like this place

Austen C, Owner at Austen Kitchen, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kindness!

I really want to know what kind of music did you listen?Haha~

Best wishes,

Beijing, China
“An absolutely delightful restaurant, well worth stumbling across!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Walking through the hutongs I happened upon Austen and immediately knew I had to return for dinner. When I started feeling hungry I came back and was welcomed into the adorable restaurant. I had a delicious bowl of mushroom soup and some fresh baked bread to accompany it. I loved this space. It was incredibly serene and the staff were very helpful and kind. I hope to come back during my stay. An added bonus is that they speak english very well.

Thank you for coming!

I am so happy to know you are satisfy with our food and our restaurant! It's fascinating of travel is meeting with incredible things!

Looking forward to seeing u again :)

London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fabulous, make a point of going!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

After a long week travelling around China, I found myself in a Beijing hotel on my last evening determined to experience something other than business meetings.

I had a strong desire to visit a night market that wasnt explicitly for tourists, something "off the beaten track" maybe and was recommended by a Chinese colleague to visit Nanluoguxiang Hutong.

I am sooooo pleased I did! Firstly the market, which comprises 100's of small shops, was alive and buzzing and I stocked up on many fabulous gifts.

But the real find was waiting for me down one of the side streets. Having spent the past week being feted with some amazing Chinese banquets, I was shamelessly desperate for some western food.

On gazing from one small restaurant to another, suddenly a big smile greeted me from inside of an Italian restaurant. I was looking at the menu from the outside when the lady (who later found out was the owner, Cici) kindly ran through the simple but for me, perfect choices. I allowed myself to be persuaded and went inside.

What a lovely place! There are just 5 or so tables but the decor, the music and the general ambiance was an oasis of tranquility among the hustle and bustle of the Hutong. Cici was fabulous - a really wonderful maitre d'!

Upon her recommendation I chose the home mad Mushroom soup followed by a spicy bacon and tomato pasta. I have eaten on many restaurants around the world, including many in Milan and Rome but this food was a match for them. All of the food is home made and freshly prepared by Cici's husband who, I understand, once trained under a Michelin-starred chef - and it told!

The food was exquisite and so was the conversation. Cici spent time chatting and made me feel very, very welcomed.

I cannot recommend Austen more highly. Since all of their food is freshly prepared, the menu is perfectly chosen for a small restaurant.

I am going back to Beijing in middle of December and will definitely be visiting Cici and her husband again and strongly recommend you do the same!

Cheers

Mike

1 Thank MrMr2011
Thank you for coming!

I am so happy to know you are satisfy with our food and our chatting, especially for that special time. Thank you for your kindness , let me realized the life is so beautiful!

Looking forward to seeing u someday in December :)

Beijing, China
“Perfection”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've been in this city for more than 10 years and tried many so-called "Western" restaurants which most often do a disservice to the cuisine they purport to represent. This is sad if we want locals to appreciate the fact that we take food as seriously as the Chinese and have just as much to offer in terms of subtleties of taste, texture and flavour.

However, happily we have Austen flying the flag for at least Italian cuisine: I second everything in JohnnydiScozia's comprehensive review and the others (below) and would add how delightful it is that Austen have been brave enough to reverse the paradigm of shouting loud and offering little in favour of quietly and consistently delivering 100% on both food and service; the home made lasagna, salmon, and pannacotta with raspberry coulis (to name but a few) were exquisite and make you sit up, slow down and fully savour every mouthful - add a glass of their special red wine (sadly strictly limited, get there quick) and you've nigh on checked in to food heaven!

In keeping with the spirit of the place, the owners Sissi and her partner are friendly but respectfully low-key and have that rare knack of neither being hysterically attentive or frustratingly absent throughout the meal: it helps that the place is so intimate and has no need for other service staff and it feels both nice and reassuring to have direct contact with the people at the heart of the business. In these days of anonymous chain restaurants and constant food safety scares (rat meat anyone?) I value such a relationship.

Respect and best wishes for continued future success to Austen and its owners :-)

Austen C, Owner at Austen Kitchen, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for coming and coming again!

Food heaven?I am not sure,but at least for me in China, i am agree with u! And we also value such comfy relationship,this is our spirit!

Looking forward to seeing u soon:)

China
“A hidden treasure”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We found this little restaurant (4 tables) by accident while exploring the hutongs in Beijing. Everything in this restaurant is made with love and passion for Italian food. If you want to get a place I'd recommend to make a reservation. Pasta is home made and that was one of the best Lasagne I ever had. Also the desserts are great...and the service was very (family) friendly

Happy family,keep happily!