“Worth the 2 hour wait! ”

Siji Minfu Restaurant Peking Roast Duck (Dengshikou)
Ranked #36 of 13,012 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

Two hour wait on a Tuesday at 5pm! Summer time is very busy in Beijing as the kids are out of school. As the kids go back to school I am sure the wait times will drastically decrease!

This is the locals favorite duck place! I will guarantee that you will be the only non-Asian in line, which means you’re at the best place! There are a few “famous” duck places but they gear to tourists. This is for the locals, a hidden secret for any tourist.
Upon arriving check in with the host and mention you would like your number paged in English. The line is so long it extends outside with massive groups of people waiting. They have a speaker system outside that pages the numbers in Chinese. However, if you mentioned to the waitress she will set up the machine for English for your number. We waited a few minutes over 2 hours. They have stools outside you can sit on. We went across the street to the convenience store bought a few beers and waited our turn.

The restaurant is huge we were seated upstairs. The process works like this you order all your food and they bring the sides first and you eat them. 45 minutes later they bring your duck as you have eaten all the sides already. You need to mention to the waiter who speaks great English you would like your sides to wait for the duck and have everything together.

The duck was the best any of us have ever had. Pair a glass of Chinese wine with it and we were all on cloud nine. Worth the wait of every minute we encountered.

They provide you a complimentary appetizer of fresh cold grapes! Make sure you order the pancakes to eat with your duck! Enjoy! Worth the wait!

3  Thank PlaneFun1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed August 6, 2018

When I travelled to Beijing, I was strongly advised to taste Pekin Duck in a good restaurant, so I picked Sifi Minfu based on the reviews and its central location. Knowing about the long wait, I still decided to go with the best and didn't miss. I came around 7pm, was notified about 1.5 hour wait and given a ticket. This time was spent walking around the neighborhood, which includes the famous Snack Street. When I got back, I checked my number and soon was seated at a single seat table. The atmosphere of the restaurant was lively and the service very good. I've ordered half a duck, the condiments and peking duck pancakes and they also brought some grapes for the desert. I checked with the waitress, how should I eat the duck, and it turned out similar to tacos, wrapping the duck into pancakes and add the condiments of your choice. The duck was delicious, even though a bit too big for me :), and the experience was outstanding.

1  Thank BMECTE
Reviewed July 29, 2018

Siji MinFu is a chain of restaurants based out of Beijing and currently has the highest reviews in Dianping (China version of Yelp). In the past we have always gone to QuanJuDe for Beijing Duck and like most Tourist, will come out feeling somewhat dissatisfied by both the taste and the cost. Sine Dianping has gone live, it has helped my family so much when we travel in finding the best restaurants.

I went to the one near WangFuJin. And that one wasn't our first choice. My husband checked in at about 5 pm at another chain store and there was already a 2 hour wait. He did a quick Baidu search and found this one just a few blocks away and it only had a 30 minute wait.

So be aware, Dianping typically does say there is an average of 1 hour wait. Their feature dish is the Beijing Duck and when you walk in, you can see one. They have their roaster right out front. They also have the best ZhaJiangMian. Everything we ordered was excellently. Unfortunately they won't start making the duck until you order, so it's supposedly a 40-50 minute wait from time of order to serving of the duck. It was closer to 50 minutes for us. They will slice in in front of you for 160 yuan for the whole duck and you can add another 20 yuan for duck soup. We had to skip the duck soup because we were then running late to a movie, which the restaurant was very willing to take the 20 yuan off our bill.

They have the traditional thin wraps for the duck, but they also serve this puffed up biscuit that was free. My kids loved that biscuit so much and kept asking for seconds and thirds.

Next time we are in Beijing, this will definitely be a must go to restaurant again.

1  Thank PJChiang
Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

As other reviews have stated - great duck! The service was pretty good. We arrived late (around 9.30pm) and we were seated straight away. It did take a while (45min) for us to get our duck, meanwhile we had finished all the other dishes ordered and complimentary grapes.
Only downside was I felt they didn’t give enough pancakes with the condiments plate, so we had to order 2 additional serves of the pancakes (5rmb each). We also did not know the duck soup was an additional charge of 20rmb, but it was nice anyhow - nice to cleanse the palate after all the fat of the duck skin!

We got the durian pudding/creme brûlée thing which I would not recommend. The durian tastes old or from a tin. Maybe stick to the traditional desserts or get desserts from elsewhere.

Reviewed July 24, 2018

A local friend of a friend told me that this might not be the most famous (the "brand name" as she described it) Peking Duck place, but it is considered by locals to be the best. It seems like Tripadvisor was already in the know ;) This was definitely the best meal I had in China. The duck is unbelievably rich, savory, and buttery, with flavour more subtle than I would have thought possible. Menus are almost completely bilingual (CN/EN). Be prepared for a long wait at dinner. We got there at 6:45 to take a number, was seated at 7:45, ordered the roast duck right away, and didn't receive it until almost 9. The wait was worth it. Order some side dishes and apps (generally good, and at least interesting) to nibble on while you wait for the duck.