Tripadvisor
Beijing
Review Highlights
Great Wall Spur - Nov 2019 - Excellent Experience!

Reviewed December 26, 2019
Aili P
Christmas hike on the Great Wall

Reviewed December 25, 2019
jenniferakh

Recommended experiences in and around Beijing
from $98.00
from $79.00
from $89.00
from $188.00
More Info
All reviews own pace west lake walled village amazing hike great wall hike lunch provided unrestored sections day trip small group hiking poles these guys hour hike clear instructions local guide views are amazing jinshanling section spoke great english
Selected filters
Reviewed December 26, 2019

This review is a little delayed, but I really, really enjoyed my trip with Beijing Hikers! My friend and I did the Great Wall Spur on 3 Nov 2019, and I have been raving about the trip ever since. The hike was exactly as described on the website. The guides were well organized, spoke good English, and informative without being over-bearing. The bus picked us up on time at Liangmaqiao subway area; then we drove to the Lido Metropark Hotel Starbucks to pick up another set of hikers. We were there about 15-20 minutes, which was enough time to get a coffee/use the restroom. Once back on the bus, it was about a 2 hour trip to the start of the hike, which commended in a small village. Before we got underway, the guides distributed bottles of water, maps, emergency phone #s, hiking sticks, and snacks (snickers, bananas). The hike up to the wall took about an hour; we spent about an hour walking on the wall; and then it took another hour to get back to the village where a hearty lunch (family-style Chinese dishes, soft drinks, and beer) were provided. (Everyone had access to the same dishes; there was no opportunity to order specific dishes. Numerous vegetarian options were included.) The hike up was challenging, but the guides were patient and we weren't rushed. The trail up to and on the wall was a bit rough in places, especially since that section of the wall is not restored, but I was okay in sneakers. (Although I wish I had had boots.) Layers were essential, as it was cool starting out, but then we worked up a sweat walking uphill, but then it was cool again on top of the wall. I felt that the price was very fair, considering everything (transport, lunch, snacks, water) was included and it was a full-day excursion. The views were incredible; bring an extra battery for your phone/camera as you will wear yours out taking zillions of photos! We stopped for bathroom breaks on the way to/from the hike and before/after lunch; the public toilets are primitive and it is recommended to bring your own TP and hand sanitizer. On the trail, there are no facilities; the guides recommended leaving your pack as a marker if you need to "step off the trail for a private moment" so you don't get left behind. :)

Date of experience: November 2019
HaydenOpie, Manager at Beijing Hikers, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2020

Hi Aili P - thanks for coming back to write your review of the hike.

Great overview of the way we operate the hikes, and good tips about layers and "private moments".

The Great Wall Spur is one of my favourite shorter Great Wall hikes - so much to look at on the trail.

Reviewed December 25, 2019

This was a great way to spend Christmas Day! A pretty strenuous hike but great exercise. Really enjoyed the meal afterward and the camaraderie. Would definitely do another one if back in Beijing.

Date of experience: December 2019

Hi jenniferahk, thanks for the review.

The Christmas hikes are a special experience, especially with snow on the Great Wall. It sounded like it was a fun group for that one.

Say hello if you come back to Beijing!

Reviewed November 21, 2019 via mobile

Just a fantastic way to see the Great Wall, both restored and unrestored sections. The hike is strenuous enough to get heart rate and sweat up (under three layers) but it’s still entirely enjoyable. Glad I had good boots with ankle support. Scenery is wonderful. We almost had the wall to ourselves. Lunch was filling and delicious. Well organised and easy communication. I strongly recommend Beijing Hikers and I’ll use them again.

Date of experience: November 2019

Hi Schwags - that's a pretty steep one you did!

Your photos look great, and thanks for the recommendation.

See you again soon, I hope!

Reviewed November 19, 2019 via mobile

Booked last minute as a tour company let us down with one day left before my flight home. Beijing Hikers was a lot cheaper than any other way of seeing the Wall. The trail set off with all walking at their own pace and reaching the wall within 1 1/2 hours. Our guides (Tina, harry, Ben and our local guide) were friendly, efficient and kept us all safe. This was an enjoyable hike for regular hikers, although if we weren’t used to walking we may have struggled - not one for anyone less athletically inclined!! A fantastic group taking members and non members alike to absolutely deserted parts of unrestored wall - well worth it not to just see the tourist trap nearer to Beijing! An unforgettable experience, thank you!

1  Thank lbrown89

Hi lbrown89,

Happy we could help you out - would have been terrible to miss out on a visit to the wall. And it sounds like you got to a special spot. I'm going to guess it was the Zhenbiancheng Great Wall, a pretty rough one!

I'll pass on your compliments to Tina, Harry, and Ben.

Thanks for the review!

Reviewed October 20, 2019

Our guide Victoria (together with another local guide) did a great job! Gave us the right amount of information but most of all they let us enjoy the amazing views. We were with a group of 15 but everyone could hike at their own pace. Just a guide at the front and one at the back worked out fine.

Date of experience: October 2019
1  Thank MickG1991

Hi MickG1991 - thanks for the review!

We bring plenty of guides to allow the group to stretch out and so there's time for photos and rests. Good to hear that worked well for you, and glad the views were amazing!