“Great hike on the Great Wall”
Review of Beijing Hikers

Beijing Hikers
Ranked #16 of 147 Outdoor Activities in Beijing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fun and friendly hikes to the Great Wall, hills, mountains, and rivers of Beijing every week. We take care of all the organisation, leaving you free to enjoy the sights and scenery while hiking – more time for fun, less time spent negotiating the tricks and traps of travel in China's remote and rural areas. Beijing Hikers has been leading hikes and trips around Beijing & greater China since 2001 - visit our website to find the hiking schedule and more information.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

This was the high point in our trip. We hiked the Jiankou-Mutianyu trail, which took us way up for breathtaking views on our hike that was mostly down after the original ascent. Several of our group took a short cut across one section that went way up again, and steep down. We were glad we did the while trail but were really sore the next couple days. The guides were great. Knowledgeable and patient and helpful. I wish I'd had time to do another section of the Wall with them.

HaydenOpie, Manager at Beijing Hikers, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2014

Hello, davidmbolt!

I hope you feel the breathtaking views were worth getting sore legs. Most people think so!

Thanks a lot for writing a review for us, and we'd love to take you hiking again.

All reviews
"walking poles"
in 4 reviews
"contact person"
in 2 reviews
"plenty of bottled water"
"great wall hike"
"private group"
"jinshanling wall"
"hour hike"

Reviewed November 6, 2014

I come from Colorado so when I heard about this group, I just had to try it. I am an avid hiker and this group is so great. They start with reservations online and you can read about the hike and how long with elevation. They give tips on the hike itself and the rating to decide if its worth it. Then you get a confirmation email and you are all set. They have nice coach buses to pick you up in Lido or Shunyi for the hike. The meeting place is a Starbucks and who doesn't know where a Starbucks? Great idea!
Then we all load the bus and you meet friends right away because there isn't a seat for everyone to have two to themselves. The great guides, three per hike start with an introduction and give you a map of the hike. Its in English and spoken in English. Its great to see where you are going and the history of the hike. They pass out snacks and water and you are off. I have done three and all three times I have met lifelong friends. This group is becoming my favorite part about being an expat here. There are tons of travelers on the hikes too. You stop halfway through to go to the bathroom. Finally arrive and they provide sticks to hike with if you need them. Then you are off on the hike. I have gone on three of Tinas hikes and shes amazing! They are great fun and difficult hikes. Everyone shares beer and soda as well as a great meal at the end. You get back around six. These hikes are worth every penny and in three weeks I have done three. They have a great thing going here and you are missing out if you don't try it!
Local tip: Join the membership, gives you ten percent off each hike.

1  Thank Teacher2014
HaydenOpie, Manager at Beijing Hikers, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2014

Hi Teacher2014, great to hear you're loving the hikes!

Thanks for writing a review for us, and I'll let Tina know she's doing good work as a guide!

Reviewed November 5, 2014

Hiking on the Great Wall had been something I looked forward to for a long while now and Beijing Hikers did not disappoint. Hayden and team were prompt with my email enquiries and the trip was well organized from pick up to drop off - snacks, water and trekking poles all provided for. Our group (approx 20pax + 1 dog!) couldn't have been better looked after by our 3 local guides. I was puffing a fair bit on the 3+ Gubeikou hike (12km), but the incredible views more than made up for it. Definitely a climb of a lifetime!

1  Thank sk0r
HaydenOpie, Manager at Beijing Hikers, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2014

Hi Sk0r, thanks for writing about your day out hiking with us.

We're very happy you enjoyed the way the hike was organised, and it's great to hear that the scenery was well worth the effort!

I'll pass on your compliments to the guides, they're always happy to hear that their hard work was appreciated.

Reviewed November 4, 2014

These guys offer a great way to see the Great Wall without all of the tourists. We went out to a remote spot where there were very few other hikers. Hiked a nice section of the wall that was not restored, and a section that was. The staff was very helpful, even carried some of my heavy camera gear for me! And the meal afterwards that was included was the best meal I had while in China!

1  Thank Nox2013
HaydenOpie, Manager at Beijing Hikers, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2014

Hi Nox2013, thanks for taking the time to write a review for us!

Great to hear you enjoyed the meal so much, and I hope you got some excellent photos of the Great Wall - that camera equipment sure was heavy!

See more reviews
Reviewed November 3, 2014

I joined two one-day hikes with Beijing Hikers while visiting Beijing - and would have done more if I could. One hike was near the Ming Tombs and the other along the Great Wall (Walled Village to Huanghuacheng Great Wall - longer version). The former had 8 hikers (plus 2 guides), the latter about 20 hikers (and 3 guides). Both were great and required a fair amount of exertion - if you think the Great Wall is a nice flat surface to walk along, think again.

The meeting points in Beijing were well organised and toilet breaks were organised at the start and end of the road trips - water, bananas and an energy bar were provided before starting. The guides were knowledgeable and spoke good English and provided occasional historical and cultural insights making it more than just a hike. The first hike had snacks and drinks at the end while the second hike included lunch which was more of a feast with more than 10 different dishes to sample.

The haze of Beijing can reach out to the hiking sites but the air is still cleaner than the city and it is great to be able to be out on the trail and listening to birds instead if fighting with traffic, pedestrians and tour groups. I wholehearted recommend taking one or more of these hikes if you want to get out into the countryside and raise a sweat (although I'm sure that there are some easy options too).

HaydenOpie, Manager at Beijing Hikers, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2014

Hi Saydelah,

Thanks for joining the hikes! It's great you had enough time in Beijing to do a Great Wall hike and the hike over the hills to the Ming Tombs area.

About the strenuous and easy options: we rate our hikes from Level 1 to Level 5, with Level 1 being a stroll in the park, and Level 5 hikes being best suited to people who are used to tough hikes. We try to offer a good variety.

Again, thanks a lot for making us part of your Beijing itinerary, and thanks for taking the time to write us a review.