“Modern and comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tangla Hotel

Tangla Hotel
Ranked #86 of 6,437 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Modern and comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a few nights. Though it's quite far from the historic centre of Beijing (Forbidden City), it is minutes away by metro (line 1). The Tangla hotel is a modern luxury hotel. Buffet breakfast in the morning is excellent. Good food served in the other restaurants of the hotel (though I have some reservations concerning the Japanese restaurants). There are some good authentic Chinese restaurants in the neighbourhood. Overall a good experience though not having wifi in the room was disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ulysses186338

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My client chose this hotel, owned by Hainan Airlines. Recently refurbished I was booked into a deluxe suite. Two rooms, 1.5 bathrooms! All the expected amenities including two flat screen TVs. The only complaint is the spotty Internet service and the need to retrieve a new password every 48 hours. The buffet breakfast was extensive, and I found plenty of choices. I did dine in one of the hotel restaurants, not to be repeated. Food was just ok.

This is not a western hotel, so if you need to be in an environment with other Americans or use a concierge or have many questions choose another option. However if you have business on the west side of Beijing it's definitely an option. Subway is nearby.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JZ16
Minster, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a really nice hotel and only about 1k from the popular areas of Beijing.
I am not sure if I will return to this hotel or not. The food is OK, but the rooms are pretty darn small. Comfortable, but small. The AC works fine and the bathroom is nice.

The internet system is a little goofy. You need to take your passport to the lobby kiosk and register, and it prints you a name and password. Not bad, but you get kicked off a lot, and you could never remember the password.

I will also comment that the managers have reasonable English, but the registration, the room service, and restaurant staff really struggle with English. This is not a problem for me, since I know how to clarify and get by this issue, but if you are a newbe, you might not be comfortable.

Room Tip: Most rooms are small. If you are not a smoker, but sure to ask for non-smoking. My travel partner di...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ricky S
long island, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Selected this hotel because we needed to be nearby for 5 nights. Our stay was okay. We booked a non-smoking room but were given one that allowed smoking. However, there was no odor of smoke, nor did we notice anyone smoking on our floor, so that worked out fine. The bed was comfortable by Western standards. The room was somewhat unusually designed, on the small side for the king size bed but a large bathroom with a lot of open space. There was no place to put luggage, except on the tiny loveseat or in the entry space. A luggage rack in the bathroom would have been useful. The in-room safe was a nice feature, but had it been placed on a different shelf in the small closet, it would have allowed someone to put a suitcase on the shelf. The slippers, toiletries, bottled water were all fine, and appreciated. It was nice to have in-room internet, but the Ethernet cable in our room was faulty - it was loose and frequently lost the connection. Maybe it could be replaced with a new one, because when it was connected the internet worked well.

The hotel is close to the subway, and we used it often. It is also walkable to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, about 4.5 km away. The hotel is right across the street from the Capital Museum, and that's an excellent place to spend a few hours.

Breakfast was ample, but we had a problem on the 1st day because they tried to charge us for one breakfast when our rate included 2. As someone indicated in another review, if breakfast is not included in the rate, it is very overpriced.

We also found the room rates to be quite high. We received a corporate rate, and that was good. But, if we had to pay the regular prices I would consider it expensive.

Most of the staff was helpful, but many of them have limited English skills. We were upgraded to the club/executive level (for some reason the room we booked was unavailable), but did not find any real benefits associated with this, except for some sodas, coffee/tea and fruit throughout the day. If there were additional benefits, no one told us about them. I would not pay extra to stay on the executive level.

The hotel staff seems to be trying to provide services that a Western guest would appreciate, but they haven't quite gotten there yet.

Overall, our stay was okay. If I had to be in the area, I would stay here again. If I were coming to Beijing to tour I would look for a different location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Idranet
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Being a business traveller, this is my first hotel in Beijing. The service is ok, the room is quite spacious but I find it a bit spooky. The room lights are poorly lit and the bathrooms are separate from you bedroom. The layout is a bit strange. The upside is the location. It's very near the Palace. Overall, so-so.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ramat Gan, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at Tangla Hotel for four nights at Sept. 2012 .

The hotel is very nice. Modern, spacious and clean.
The room I got had a double bed, a small sofa, a desk with an Ethernet cable for the free internet connection, LCD TV and a nice, modern, large bathroom with a shower, a bath, and everything you might need (from bathrobe, through toothbrush and toothpaste, and even slippers.

The breakfast was weird for me, as a first-timer to China.
There were two dining rooms - one for cold dishes and one for hot dishes. There was no milk or milk products. But I guess that as China goes, this is a good breakfast with various selection of dishes.

The problem with this hotel, is the language barrier.
The receptionists hardly speak English, and only the reception manager (which is not frequently there, but sometimes they call her) speaks English.
Here's an example: On my check-in, they charged my credit-card for more than what the whole stay should cost. I understood that this is some kind of 'deposit'. When I checked out, they wanted to credit my credit card with the difference. This was a bad idea, as I will pay for currency exchange twice - once for the charge and another time for the refund of the difference. I asked the receptionist that instead of doing that, to cancel the original charge, and charge me only once for the exact amount. The language barrier - once again - made this difficult. None of the three reception employees understood what I want. Eventually they called the manager and I had to explain what I wanted over the phone, then she told them in Chinese, and they did it.

When you get to China for the first time, you'd like to be able to consult with the hotel staff regarding of activities and sightseeing, but due to this language barrier - this was impossible.
They didn't even know what is the 'Silk Market', or when I asked how can I get to "that part of the big wall where they have cable cars that go up and you don't have to climb" they didn't even know what "the big wall" meant, until I showed them a picture on one of their own pamphlets.

So to sum this up, this is a great hotel, but they do have to improve their staff's English if they want to offer a better service for Western visitors.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank pilot1200
Xi'an, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Tangla Beijing can be described as a very good choice for a conference venue. I found the staff extremely courteous and helpful. Breakfast is a treat and there is plenty of variety on offer. Would I stay for leisure / personal vacation? Probably not. The hotel has a business / corporate feel to it and I much prefer a more relaxed and intimate style of hotel when on vacation. The only small downside (but it's not big deal) is the quality of cleaning in the rooms. It's very superficial. On inspecting underneath the bed (as we all do when we check out!) a variety of items were discovered and left in situ for the next guest who is brave enough to check the same!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business