“Wangfujing Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments”

The Imperial Mansion, Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments
Ranked #3 of 937 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Los Gatos, California
“Wangfujing Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Imperial Mansion, Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments in Wangfujing is a 5 star property that match the best of the 5 star hotels. Although it is only an executive apartments, its structure, layout, appearance, ambience, and furnishing,and anything a traveler would desire, could match the best of the best hotels, like Four Seasons, Peninsula, Ritz Carlton, etc. The only category that was not equal to these 5 star hotels is its service. As it is an executive apartment complex, and not a complete service hotel, one could understand that. However, it did not mean that the service was lacking in this establishment; it only meant that some minor services like nightly turn-down were not performed. The lobby is majestic.The suites are huge. The only hotel with larger suites is the Burj Al Arab in Dubai, among several dozens of 5 star properties experienced by this traveler. Equally well set up were the furnishing in the units, each having quality furniture and decorated in great taste. The linen and the bed-covers were also high quality. The staff were friendly and eager to help at any time. Even though it was only a serviced apartment, the front desk was staffed around the clock. Because it was not operated as a hotel, it did not have a dedicated concierge or a bell captain desk. Nevertheless, the reception desk staff and the door-persons were eager to assist the guests any time, including the mundane tasks of calling a taxi or getting a taxi to come at certain time to meet the guests. The staff's English were pretty good. There was no problem to communicate with them. The bathroom has a bathtub that was pool-sized! Can't imagine anyone using it as it would take forever to fill!

Room Tip: Take the upgraded one bedroom unit. It has a study in addition to the bedroom that is room-sized and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Doris L, Director of Sales at The Imperial Mansion, Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing The Imperial Mansion, Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments. We really appreciate your praise and been delighted to see that we were able to exceed your expectations. I hope we may welcome you back soon.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
West Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed here for 9 nights as a family of 5 in late July 2014. We arrived very early in the morning and although our apartment wasn't ready the staff helpfully provided a smaller apartment in the interim so we could refresh ourselves and rest after the long flight from the UK. This was exceptional service and a really welcome gesture for a family with 3 children under 10.

The 2 bedroom apartment we had booked was spacious and well equipped and easily large enough for 5 (with cot bed for the smallest child). The only downside was that - for an apartment with cooking facilities - there were no bowls or cutlery provided. These had to be requested specially. This is however a minor niggle. One great point is that the apartment came with a washer/dryer which meant we didn't have to pack as many clothes for a trip which stretched out to 3 weeks with other cities en-route. Another bonus is that the hotel also has a decent (although slightly chilly) pool which allowed us to take a nice refreshing break after a day's sightseeing in the hot July sun.

There is a restaurant on the 2nd floor and a resident's lounge. We didn't book the breakfast option because it just didn't seem economical to do so considering the relatively cheap price of food in China compared with the price of breakfast in the hotel. As a result we never used the restaurant so can't comment on this. I did however venture down to the lounge one particularly hot evening in the hope of grabbing a drink and maybe a chat with a fellow traveller. The lounge was however like a ghost town. It was just me and the guy vacuuming the floor. Luckily he didn't see me and I escaped to another hotel for my drink! Don't expect a vibrant bar scene in this hotel.

In terms of location, having lived in Beijing for a few years in the early 2000s I am familiar with the city layout. This holiday was a chance for me to show my kids the city and I believe these apartments are in one of the best locations in Beijing. The Forbidden City and Tiananmen are just around the corner, there are parks and lakes in easy walking distance and the amazing shopping street of Wangfujing is just around the corner. A big plus is the subway line is just a few minutes walk away and this opens up the whole of the city and beyond. One downside is that taxis outside the hotel are far and few between and they see any tourist as a chance to rip you off. I speak Chinese, I know Beijing and I know how to haggle - but the drivers still refused to use the meter (which is illegal) and wanted to charge me more than 4 times the normal meter fare for a relatively short journey. Incidentally a Chinese friend of mine told me the government doubled the minimum taxi fare a few years ago to help the drivers earn a decent wage in a city with an increasing number of taxis. However the unintentional result was that the drivers realised they only had to work half as hard to earn the same money!! My advice - use the subway!

One slight problem occurred shortly after our stay. I have the Marriott App on my phone as i frequently stay at their hotels. Early in the morning on departure day the app gave me the option of checking out online and receiving my bill via email. I chose to do this as with 3 kids I knew we'd be rushing on the last day to get our transport out of the city. I never received the emailed bill and the Marriott website would not let me simply request a bill without contacting the hotel - presumably because China is outside the normal Marriott network. When I checked my bank statement a few days later I found that I had been overcharged by almost 3000 RMB (about 300 quid when transaction fees are factored in). This meant I had to call the hotel directly to try and sort it out. Luckily the error has now been recognised but I am told it will take 20 days for the refund.

That said, this wouldn't put me off staying here again. It's a great place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Houziwang
Doris L, Director of Sales at The Imperial Mansion, Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments, responded to this review, August 5, 2014

Reviewed July 17, 2014

a nice hotel with good service , located in tian an men square area which is very convenience,can walk to tian an men easily .but don't know why that taxi drivers never find the place . also ,a shopping mall behind the hotel ,bad traffic sometimes though.
hotel is good for families and couples , nice breakfast and swimming pool , nice room and comfortable bed .we had good time in beijing .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Doris L, Director of Sales at The Imperial Mansion, Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments, responded to this review, July 21, 2014

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the Imperial Mansion, Marriott Executive Apartments in Beijing a week ago. I chose the apartment/hotel partly for it excellent central location - one block from the pedestrian only Wanfujing shopping street and within walking distance from Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City/Palace Museum. The hotel was only two years old. We had a very spacious 1-bedroom apartment with a full kitchen for the 3 of us. Our granddaughter had a sofa bed in the study. The living room and dining area were very comfortably furnished with a half bath in the entry way. We had a king bed in the master bedroom, separate shower, enclosed toilet and a large round tub in the bathroom. Service was friendly and accommodating. There was a large indoor swimming pool on the 8th floor with we did not utilize. We also did not take any meals in the hotel restaurant which had rather limited offerings. But there were ample good dining establishments in the neighborhood so that was not a problem. The only shortcoming was that the kitchen was not equipped at all. You had to ask housekeeping for pots and pans and silverware which was not very convenient. In any case, the Imperial Mansion was a comfortable place to come home to after being out in the city all day.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Henry L
Doris L, Director of Sales at The Imperial Mansion, Beijing Marriott Executive Apartments, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2014

If you are a tourist, this is a great hotel for your stay. It's close to many destinations such as the forbidden city and tienamen square. There is also in unit laundry which is great for if you are on a longer trip!

However, if you are looking to stay here long term in their executive apartments, I would not recommend it. We came to Beijing for 4 months for my husbands work and wanted to stay in a place where I would feel more at home. The apartment itself was very spacious and it was very clean. However, I was hoping that I would be able to cook while we were here. Unfortunately, the kitchen lacked larger pots and pans and didn't have an oven. Really, the kitchen could only be used to warm up something on the stove or in the microwave because of the lack of cooking pans and utensils. We also found that very few of the staff spoke enough English to answer basic questions about the neighborhood. Wangfujing, the neighborhood where the hotel is located, is a major Chinese tourist destination so we found it to be noisy, crowded and dirty for most of our stay. There was construction going on next to the hotel which meant there was banging all through the night making sleeping sometimes difficult!

On the upside, the breakfast in the mornings was phenomenal and we really appreciated that amenity. It was also great to have laundry in unit. The workout facilities and pool were well kept and almost everyday I had both of them to myself which was really nice!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Maggie Z
Dear Maggie,

You don't stay here...you live here.

Thanks for the postive comments to us, the limited kitchen utensils we are much sorry to bring inconvenience in the period of your stay. For your next stay, please dial the # " At Your Service" in your room, and our staff will be glad to help your on that. Please do let us to know which utensils your would like to use. 2nd for our first line staff just can be speaking enough english, apartment will be enhanced of the traning on that to improving accordingly. Last but not the least, the noise from the neighbor very very sorry about that, to make your bad sleep. We have warning to the neighbor such noise issue make the impacts for the guest. We are much sorry again about that!

Natick, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was the best hotel choice to spend my first time in Beijing - and in China. My husband and I booked the one bedroom executive apartment for our first 4 nights and we ended up coming back for 2 more nights at the studio apartment - after our stay in the northern part of Beijing hiking the Great Wall. The executive apartment had a front view of the Night Market and shopping mall street in the distance. Everything spotless. The room was on the 8th floor (pool floor), pretty big, spacious, very well decorated. The studio apartment was in the 5th floor, with a view of the front of the hotel, had the same layout as the first room, double sink, Jacuzzi, half bathroom at the entrance, smaller closet but still really big! We had a bottle of wine delivered to our room and we guessed it was because it was my birthday. Really nice touch! The staff was absolutely helpful, kind, always willing to help. We had breakfast twice and although really good, great service, we found other places around to explore and eat. The location is the best! We never got bored or without options on what to do or where to eat. We would definitely go back there!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Washington DC
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We booked the Family Plan from the United States for 2 adults and 2 children which includes a 2 BR suite, one way transportation from/to airport, complimentary breakfast and late checkout. I called the Marriott call center in the United States to find out how to make sure we got a ride from the airport. The call center told me to go to the desk in the Beijing airport and call the hotel. When we called the hotel, they did not answer the phone for 30 minutes. Once we could actually reach them, they said it would be 40 minutes before a car could come to the airport. So we took a taxi which was frightening because the driver could not find the property, despite the fact that we had the address written in Chinese. They don't seem to use GPS in Beijing cabs. If you are taking a cab from the airport, please be sure to have a map with the address in Chinese. Also, if you book the family plan and expect a pick up from the airport, be sure to make contact with the hotel directly. Do not trust the US Marriott call center and rely on a call from the airport information desk.

Besides our initial frustration at getting to the property, once we were there, it was wonderful. The breakfast was delicious with both Chinese and international foods. The 2 BR apartment was lovely with two huge bedrooms, a large kitchen, dining area for 6, a nice living room with huge TV and view of the courtyard. The staff were really great and tried very hard to honor all requests. The pool is nice, and there is a Kids Room with a ball pit/small slide and books (good for kids 2-4 yrs). The hotel is in walking distance of several malls. Right across the street is the opening for the Night Market and the Oriental Plaza Mall (which has many high end stores, spans 3 city blocks, and has a huge bustling food court in the bottom floor). Wanfujing is also within walking distance. The concierge can call you a cab easily as well!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor which was fine. Some people recommend being closer to the pool on the 8th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family