WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Four Seasons Hotel Beijing

Four Seasons Hotel Beijing
Ranked #4 of 6,163 Hotels in Beijing
JAKARTA
“Re : Nice Room, Beautiful Restaurants”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Four Seasons Beijing, along with sister properties in Guangzhou, Shanghai Pudong and Shenzhen are part of Four Seasons rapidly expanding portfolio of luxury properties in mainland China. I decided to try out the Beijing property during my recent trip there.

Arrival

I arrived by train from Shanghai to Beijing and booked a limo to pick me up from the train station. There were some miscommunication and the driver waited at the wrong place but it was resolved in the end. The ride was about an hour, longer than expected due to Beijing's notorious traffic jam.

Upon arrival, a very nice expat lady staff escorted me to my room and checked me in. I booked a Four Seasons Room which at nearly 60m2 is very spacious and easily qualify as a junior suite. The hotel also throw in complimentary Executive Club lounge access in addition to my FSPP benefits.

The Room

The room has a basic layout with a sitting area, a large King Size Bed and a spacious working desk. There are spacious closets in the bathroom as well as in the main hallway. The room have amenities and features galore including a very stylish coffee machine, in-desk plugs and various A/V connections; LCD TV equipped with blu-ray player and automated curtains. The en-suite bathroom is very well equipped, with a deep soaking tub and a window view of Beijing skyline, dual vanities and separate shower stall and toilet cubicle. There is also an in-mirror TV in the bathroom. Typically Four Seasons, all the furniture and furnishing are very comfortable and of high quality. Another plus point is that there are lots of plugs in the room to charge your electronics, clearly the hotel is mindful of the needs of business travelors. Only issue I had is that the water in the shower stall took a while to get hot, about several minutes. Basically, everything works in the room and comfort factor is high as per usual Four Seasons standard.

Common Areas and Location

The hotel features an open lounge and two signature restaurants, one Italian and one Chinese. I dined at the lounge and the food is delicious especially the breadbasket. The breakfast also serve at the lounge is of good quality and variety. The interior design and furnishing of the two restaurants in the hotel are among the most posh and luxurious I have ever encountered in my travels, featuring authentic wood carvings, beautiful crystal chandeliers and very comfortable chairs. Clearly the owner spares no expenses to decorate the place. I tried dinner in the Chinese restaurant and food quality is very good, while at the same time feast my eyes on the interior decoration.

The Executive Club Lounge is spacious and has several servings of food and wine a day but I find the variety to be very lacking and the portions rather miniscule, perhaps as a cost cutting measure since there are hardly any guests using the lounge most of the time. There is also an indoor swimming pool, fitness centre and a Jacuzzi in men’s changing room. There is also a Spa which as usual I did not bother to try.

The hotel while a bit out of the way of the common tourist location, isn’t that bad. There are two shopping malls within walking distance from the hotel including the fame Beijing Lufthansa Centre with many high-end shops. A subway station is also nearby.

This is one aspect of the hotel where it is truly a hit and miss and generally very inconsistent. Some staff are clearly more friendly and more enthusiastic to serve than others, like the reception and front desk staff and some of the staff in the Executive Lounge. Then there are others that are kind of indifferent. The hotel is still new and perhaps more training is required. Staff, like other hotels in China, also tends to go by the book and apply the “rules”, whether they pleases the customer or not. For example, I was having a quick meal at the Opus lounge and asked for additional serving of bread. Usually, this was never an issue in just about any other Four Seasons I have stayed in. However, I was told by the waiter that each set meal was allocated only one bread basket and if I wanted more, then I have to order another set meal. Even more ridiculous is the check-out process, where I was told that as per company policy, I must settled the bill by credit card in full and cannot pay part of it with my spare change. For the later case, the hotel relented after I argue against it. In both cases, clearly it doesn’t make sense and decidedly “un-four seasons” like. Overall, despite these nit-picks, there isn’t anything major to complain about.

Conclusion

The Four Seasons Beijing is a decent 5-star luxury hotel and perhaps with time and further training, it will truly be worthy of the Four Seasons name. Certainly the physical product is very enticing and what it needs is better service. As of now, there are still some rough edges here and there. I will rate it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BENLEE123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Well what can I say - It is often with a level of trepidation that when you have had such a memorable stay or experience, that when you look to repeat it or revisit a location - you question will it be as good - will my memories be rekindled

I can say (with the exception of missing my Family who are not with me on this trip) that the Four Seasons experience in Beijing on this visit is equal to the very excellent service and experience of our visit in January.

The team made me feel like I was a friend coming home sounds like a cliche but its not.... (from Front of House, Concierge to the Executive Lounge team, and their own support staff ) - the entire team all remembered me and my family's visit from January !!! - how they do it is amazing - but as a guest it is so so rewarding and distinguishes this hotel amongst the very best

I will certainly be back and will continue signing your praises

Excellence in Beijing!

• Stayed July 2013
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed 4 nights with our 3 young kids and we had a wonderful time. The hotel rooms were spacious and comfortable. The service was impeccable across the board. The kids were completely pampered. They had toys and yummy desserts send to our room daily. Charlotte who is the Guest Experience Supervisor took such great care of us. She made our stay a wonderful and memorable one. We also loved hanging out at the pool after a long day of touring the city. I also recommend eating at the Italian restaurant. The service and the food were also exceptional. The location was not a problem at all, we were able to get to all the attractions easily. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sam017
Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

What can you say about the Four Seasons Brand? In my book, you can always count on impecable service and wonderful environment. Well, while staying at the new Four Seasons in Beijing Liang Ma Qiao Road, the service needs to be improved. I stayed there for business just recently from June 23 to June 26. The check in process was fast and efficient which is always important for me as after a long flight the last thing you dont need is a long check in process. The rooms were great and bathroom was also nicely done. The illy single capusle coffee machines were a nice added touch. So far the hardware in my perception was great. Now comes the not so great, the service and training of the staff needs to be better organized and monitored. For starters the first morning when I went for breakfast, I was standing there for roughly 5 minutes without being seated, the breakfast area is actually their lobby lounge area and there were not many tables there at that time. Eventually, I decided to seat myself at a table for 4 and immediately an attendant came and told me this table is for 4....no kidding!!! Had there been someone to greet me I would have told him/her i needed a table for 3 as my partner and our client was joining us for breakfast. But, did it really matter? As there were plently of tables available which is a sure sign the hotel is not full.

On another incident, while most of my meetings took place at the hotel, when I went to my room around 3pm to retreive some documents I thought I entered the wrong room as my room was has not been made up yet...this is almost 6 hours after I went down for breakfast. I immediately called housekeeping via their direct line which rang about 20 times and no one answering. The problem was quickly resolved when I told front desk of the problem.

The final incident that took place again happened at thier lobby lounge, I guess the staff are just too eagar or not trained properly. As mentioned, most of my meetings took place at the lobby lounge and they took place one after the other, but after my 2nd meeting and without asking for the check, the server came and place the bill on my table during my discussion. I brought this to the attention of the lobby manager and problem was quickly resolved.

All in all the hotel is great very nice on the hardware but definitley needs more work on the service side. I hope to return very soon and see more improvements

Citizen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

This relatively new hotel really shines. It is well done in all respects. Some might quibble about where it is located, but the new well-appointed facility is exceeded by the amazing service of the staff.

The club level amenities are among the best I have seen in the world. It is a comfortable setting, and the folks who run the level can't do enough for you. The food is great as well. Most foreign countries in which I travel have an inability to understand dietary restrictions, but these guys just went out of their way.

The hotel is quiet and restful at night, a good place for a sound four hours (or more).

The health club and pool are terrific. My only quibble might be that although the health club is open 24 hours, the pool is not. For those of us traveling from the States, time zones mean very little...

The buffet in the lobby is well done, lots of tables, lots of choices.

Check in and check out upstairs was flawless.

Room Tip: Club or executive level, can't remember what they call it.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent three days here for business with a complicated itinerary. The hotel is stunningly beautiful and service was extraordinary. The staff could not have been more generous. I had arranged a private driver through the hotel, and the hotel worked with me to ensure that very detail was properly attended to, and kindly accommodated last minute changes to my schedule. The Tea Garden was lovely and buffet breakfast was similarly wonderful. I regretted that I did not have much chance for sight-seeing but would absolutely return to this hotel on a future trip. Worth stopping in if ever in Beijing just to view the exquisite floral arrangements!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at the 4 Seasons Beijing for a work trip.

It's a very good hotel: good room and good service. On the service, I appreciated that I was able to recover an important piece of jewelry after I checked out and left Beijing. I called a day later and they kept it in a safe until my colleague picked it up for me.

The downside is the location. For our two dinner meetings, it took about 45 - 1 hr drive to get to the two restaurants due to the traffic jams and the fact that 4 Seasons is on the eastern side of the third ring road. The location makes it convenient to get to the airport but not to meetings within the center of Beijing, IMO.