“Terrific Job” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Private Guide in Beijing - Aurora Tang

Private Guide in Beijing - Aurora Tang
Ranked #96 of 373 Tours in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: Aurora Tang is very knowledgeable and flexible. She can tailor the itinerary to your needs and recommend real local food; the taste of real Chinese culture and life in a relaxed way. Her friendly way of explaining things has been a true "once in a life time experience”. If you come to Aurora, you start an enjoyable and safe tour…
Denver
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Terrific Job”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Aurora was a terrific guide during our 4 day stay in Beijing. Her services actually began far ahead of our arrival - she was very diligent in our e-mail correspondence, providing both timely and informative responses to my many questions. We worked together to shape our itinerary and Aurora was receptive to my suggestions and trying different ideas versus using a standard itinerary.

Most importantly, Aurora was friendly, honest and literally took care of everything including purchasing our tickets into attractions. I have heard stories of "guides" pushing tourists towards locations where they receive kickbacks (Jade Market, tea "shows", pearl market, restaurants, etc) or marking up prices to attractions and keeping the difference. Her itinerary was literally catered to our desires and we avoided all scams, pushy vendors, or places that weren't in our best interests. Restaurant selections were amazing (dumplings, Hot Pot, and homestyle restaurants).

Aurora arranged a car service from the airport for a reasonable price using a good driver who met us at the gate, complete with a welcome sign.
With the exception of the Great Wall trip, we did not use a driver because we wanted to experience Beijing at a more personal level. Aurora did an excellent job navigating the city via taxi, bus, subway and by foot. I think this is more work for her but she didn't seem to mind.

Aurora was very knowledgeable at all sights. We learned a great deal and her insights made each visit more valuable than doing a solo trip with a guide book.

By the end of the trip Aurora was more of a friend than a guide. We genuinely enjoyed her company. She is currently studying for an advanced guide certification through the government and we wish her the best.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank SurfColorado78

Singapore, Singapore
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Aurora: a wonderful guide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I've just returned from a 5 day break in Beijing with family and friends (4 adults and 3 teenagers). We went sight-seeing in the city with Aurora on 2 days. We had a wonderful time. Although her written English may not be superb, Aurora's spoken English is very good. We had no problem communicating and she is an excellent guide. We travelled by public transport as per our request and on foot some of the way. She gave us just the right amount of historical information when we visited the Forbidden City and she paced the tour to suit our needs. Her prices are very reasonable. More importantly, she wasn't intrusive and we all felt very comfortable with her.

Upon her recommendation, we saw a Kungfu show on one of the evenings and it was very enjoyable. She recommended 3 restaurants to us and all were good.

On the day that we went to the Great Wall, Aurora wasn't available so she recommended her friend, Jenny. Jenny is extremely knowledgable about the history of the Ming and Qing dynasties. However, we felt she was too aggressive in her touting. She was very insistent we visit some shops even though we made it very clear that we were only interested to go sightseeing.

You can contact Aurora through:
www.aflyprivateguide.com
flyprivateguide@gmail.com

An idea of her charges:

All in all, we had a great time in Beijing and a great part of this was due to Aurora!

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Mum912846
Toronto
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Touring with Aurora”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This review is coming abit late but I thought l should say a few words nontheless. After reviewing dozens of private guides for our our beijing trip, I decided to contact Aurora. From first contact to the time we book her, she was always keen to answer our questions and was very very personable to us. We booked with her in the end and met her in Beijing with car and driver as agreed. Every thing went according to plan for our family of 6. Aurora was able to plan our days out along with meals at local restuarants that are not touristy. We enjoyed our time with Aurora thoroughly, she truly works hard for her pay and is genuine to her clients. She is not one of those that will recomende you to the "best" shops bcos of commisions, in fact, she will be worried we get ripped off!! We appreciate that very much about her. Never once did she make us feel we are brought to some tourist trap.

I will be taking my son to Beijing again this summer and has contacted Aurora again after 2 years, her response and service level is still the same!! Undoubtedly the best and most honest in Beijing and we have alot of experience all around the world with private guides. I should mention, she is always helpful with the little kids too although she is not a babysitter as she has to do her job as a guide explaining the sites to us, she is always mindful that our crazy 2 year old was fussy and always lent a helping hand. :)

Visited December 2011
4 Thank ConneyToronto
Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Thanks Aurora”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I had read all the great reviews about Aurora, so we decided to contact her.

We wrote her an email, and she responded very fast. She suggested different tours and her prices were very reasonable. We got a very good feeling about her, she sounded like a very sweet and helpful girl, and we were not disappointed when we finally met her :-)

We started with booking a tour to the great wall, to the Mutianyu section. Aurora had decided this place, since it is not to crowded. Aurora planned to pick us up at the hotel at 9 am, and she came on time, in a nice big car. The day went absolutely perfect. She is a great driver and pointed out different attractions on the way. When we arrived she gave us the different options to get to the wall, and we chose the cable car.
When we arrived to the wall, Aurora told us about the history. She then gave us some time alone, which was really nice of her, so we could explore this wonder for ourselves. She was waiting for us, when we arrived back down with the cable car.
On the way back she showed us The Bird's Nest, we then visited a very nice tea house where we tried to some free samples and finally she drove us to Old Beijing (Hutong) where we had a nice walk. We were a bit tired when she drove us back to our hotel in the evening, but it had a been a wonderful day, and she really had done everything to make the day perfect for us.

We were so satisfied with her, that we dicided to book another day tour with her to Longqing Gorge. It is a canyon about 2 hours drive from Beijing. It was wonderful with another daytrip out of Beijing. This time she brought her friend to help drive the car. A very sweet and friendly young man. He was a great driver, and Aurora told us about the sights on the way. We passed by two parts of the Great Wall, one of them was the Badaling part. It was special to see the wall so close to the Highway.
It was wonderful to arrive to Longqing Gorge and this beautiful mountain area. A long dragon shaped escalator took us the dam, where we went on a boat cruise. You can go hiking, bungee jumping, rock climbing, lots to do. We went to a beautiful temple and took the boat back later on. A very nice place to visit. Aurora and her friend drove through a scenic landscape (national park) on the way back home. We stopped at a beautiful lake and took some pictures. The drive back was a bit hard, since a lot of chinese people drive like crazy even on small mountain roads, but Aurora's friend was such a good and careful driver, and we felt really safe with him as a driver.

Aurora also helped us with some tickets to the Chaoyang Acrobatic Show, she can get them cheaper, than if you buy them at The Theater. She also arranged airport drop up for us.
She can also help you with translations and much more. We got her to write different sentences in chinese on a paper. It is really good to have on you, since many do not understand english.

Aurora is a wonderful and sweet girl. She has lots of knowledge and a great sense of humor.
We are very glad that we chose her to be our guide, and the two days we spent with her, were the highlights of our trip!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Bobkitten74
jnbj
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Aurora made it all so easy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was in Beijing for just two days and I knew that if I stood any chance of seeing all that I wanted to properly then I needed a guide. Aurora was recommended to me by a friend. She responded quickly to my initial email and suggested an itinerary that hit all the spots i wanted to go to plus others. Aurora arranged a car to take us between places, which made everything so easy. We went to the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Great Wall and the Olympic site. We went out in Houhai and to an acrobatics show (which was definitely a highlight). Aurora was both friendly and informative and really added to the experience. I am sure I would have only seen a fraction of the things I did if I hadn't had Aurora to guide me. I will have no hesitation recommending Aurora to my friends.

Visited October 2012