“Exceptional "quick" trip to China”
Review of WildChina Travel

WildChina Travel
Ranked #65 of 491 Tours in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: Chosen as National Geographic's BEST Travel Company on Earth for China & Tibet, WildChina is a trendsetting travel company based in Beijing. WildChina caters to the curious traveler, offering socially responsible travel and off-the-beaten path adventures in China and beyond.
Reviewed December 4, 2018

I contacted Wild China for a short extension to a business trip. My goal was to experience an intense but relaxing visit to two key cities, while learning as much about the people and culture as possible. I chose Wild China as I knew they are focused on authenticity and going beyond the traditional check list approach. Without a doubt I would recommend them to anyone wanting to experience the real China. I was on a private tour and my guides were exceptional. While a busy visit, the relaxing part was I did not have to worry about a thing once I was in Wild China's capable hands., My visit started in Hangzhou ( gorgeous) and we travelled to Souzhou then Shanghai. China is very safe, and while I could have explored on my own I know I experienced the very best of all three cities and was introduced to areas, shops, streets and people I would never found if exploring by myself. Travelling alone has its benefits but with a Wild China guide beside me I was able to really relax and enjoy myself.

1  Thank TravelPRVictoria
JennyZhao_WildChina, General Manager at WildChina Travel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2018

Hi TravelPRVictoria,

Thank you for your review of WildChina. We are very happy to know you had a good time exploring these three cities with us..

Suzhou, Hangzhou, and Shanghai are only a slice of what China has to offer. Now that you have a taste, I hope you are ready to explore more!

All reviews
"experienced travelers"
"private tour"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed November 28, 2018

We just returned from a 10-day trip to Beijing, Chengdu, and Shanghai with WildChina, and it was amazing. WildChina's recommended accommodations were just what we were looking for to celebrate our 5th anniversary. What really set this trip apart from previous trips we have done were the guides - who were phenomenal. We had Raymond in Beijing, Benny in Chengdu, and Joyce in Shanghai. The pacing of the trip was right on - shifting the itinerary each day to make use of optimal weather conditions - but fitting in everything (and more) that we wanted to see. The guides also helped us with restaurant recommendations and ordering when there was a language barrier (which was often). Also, Christine, who arranged the itinerary and fielded my many, many pre-trip emails, was beyond helpful and patient. In celebration of our 5th anniversary, Christine and WildChina arranged a champagne picnic for us on the Great Wall - it was incredible and a day we will never forget. We are looking forward to returning to China to see more of the country and will use WildChina again.

1  Thank MaegUT07
JennyZhao_WildChina, General Manager at WildChina Travel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2018

Hi MaegUT07,

Happy 5th Anniversary again! We are so pleased to know you had a great journey with WildChina! Christine is a star in the team and she was thrilled that she got to meet you in Beijing. We've shared your feedback with all the guides and they send their best wishes. They loved having the opportunity to show you the best of their hometown!

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, and we look forward to planning your next adventure with WildChina!

Reviewed November 27, 2018

We traveled with Wild China from Jinghong to Shangri-La. In other words, we followed the ancient "Tea and Horse" road, which links up with the Silk Road in Tibet. The trip was pretty amazing. First, it was well organized, and our guide, Jeff Fuchs, was incredibly knowledgeable and funny. Our first Chinese guide, Michael, was also super-organized, and the second one quite helpful. We learned everything you can possibly want to know about the origins of tea and how it became as important as silk for commerce in China and Central Asia. Our hotels were luxurious and gorgeous, the food was quite good - including Western-style breakfasts. We pushed for more vegetables and more vegetables we got. We visited tea farmers, pagodas, anciens quarters in old town. We went up mountains, went down beautiful landscapes and finally, made it to Shangri-La where a brand new monastery complex rivals with the one in Lhasa. The only hitch to the trip was our flight out of Shangri-La, which materialized only some 7 hours late, so that we missed our connection in Kunming and then had to rebook our international flight. It was none of Wild China's fault and the Chinese airline took care of us, but if do grab flight insurance if you travel inside China and need to make international connections. Overall, a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!

1  Thank Cholstc

Hi Cholstc,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! Jeff, our tea expert, Michael and Huang had an amazing time retracing the ancient "Tea and Horse" road with you. I'm sorry to hear about your flight delay out of Shangri-La. We'll be sure to better advise future clients about the need for flight insurance.

Reviewed November 19, 2018

My family (husband, 9month old baby, and in-laws) travelled to Guangxi for four days with WildChina. We were extremely pleased and impressed with the communication and organization of Agnes, who we communicated with over email. It did rain the four days we were in Guangxi - but honestly - I prefer the rain in low season to the inevitable crowds in high season. Getting around Guangxi with a baby wasn't super easy, but we managed using both the stroller and the carrier. Agnes was careful to recommend hotels that catered to kids - and that helped a lot. Our guide Micheal was extremely knowledgable and shared his own experiences growing up in the area. He is probably the best guide I have ever had in Asia. WildChina is of course expensive, but the headaches and time loss involved with navigating China on our own is just not worth it to us (we have no Mandarin language skills), so we see the value in paying for a company such as WildChina to help us.

Hi Natasha M,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Agnes is a rising star in our team, and your feedback really made her day! It’s never easy to travel with young children (I know from experience), and it's wonderful to know that Agnes, and our guides, helped to ensure you all had a wonderful time (despite the rain!).

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you to China again in the future.

Take care,

See more reviews
Reviewed November 19, 2018

I chose WildChina Travel for a first visit to China, planning a private trip based on their "Essence of China" tour with additional stops and asking for some more active, hiking options. The trip was well organised, with very knowledgeable guides and excellent logistical support. We visited the key sights at each stop, but much of the "hiking" turned out to be short, leisurely strolls along well manicured paths and some of the guides seemed resistant to varying their standard programme to match my personal interests. This was unexpected and somewhat frustrating for a private tour.

WildChina is an excellent tour operator and I recommend them for anyone planning a trip to China, but they may be best suited to those who want to book one of their standard tour packages. Otherwise, be very clear and very persistent about your requirements.

Date of experience: November 2018
JennyZhao_WildChina, General Manager at WildChina Travel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2018

Hi Kejijit,

Thank you for taking the time to share your WildChina experience. I really want to thank you for your honest review. We are glad to know that the trip went well overall, and I sincerely apologize that part of your WildChina experience was not as great as you had expected.

It’s a surprise to us that our guides were resistant to varying our programs to match your personal interests, and your feedback is invaluable in helping us to improve our services. We are looking into your comments now and have also sent you a separate email for further discussion.

Thank you again for your recommendation of WildChina. We hope to have the opportunity to take you off-the-beaten path on your next adventure.

Best,