“Amazing views and first class wall!”

Mutianyu Great Wall
Ranked #1 of 1,612 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: In 1368 AD, Mutianyu Great Wall was built by Xu Da who is the main general for Zhuyuanzhang in the Great Wall ruins of Northern Qi Dynasty. Linked to Gubeikou in the east and Juyongguan in the west,the section of the Great Wall is the military hub defensing of the capitalsince ancient times. There are several famous watchtowers such as Zhengguantai, Dajiaolou, Yingfeidaoyang,Jiankou and Beijingjie, which has profound historical and cultural values. Surrounded by the mountains, the Greening rate of the Great Wall reaches 98%, and its scenery is beautiful. Known for its gorgeous scenery, Mutianyu is one of the essence in the Great Wall of Ming Dynasty. Mutianyuhas the characteristics of the fresh air, sided embrasure, peculiar guards, intensive watchtowers, the strong feeling of three-dimensional and the existing of the inside and outside branch. The Closed Tram, Speed slide, the China dream stone sity, the Great Wall hotel, Yisonglou restaurant are constructed inthe tourist area, so its facilities and function are perfect.The tourist area was added to the national 5A scenic spot list by the National Tourism Administration of China in 2011. In June 28, 2014,the Mutianyu Great Wallintegrated tourism service area put into use. The integrated tourism service area, having service functions including a visitor center, the Great Wall Culture Exhibition Center, and catering and tourism souvenirs street,covers an area of 20 acres.In this way, Mutianyu Great Wall will provide a better travel experience for visitors.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Amazing views and a first class wall. Worth to go here instead of badaling if you have the time as its not as crowded. You can choose whether to walk up or take a cable car and then ride a sleigh down it is really fun unless you find yourself behind a slowmo.
If you take the local bus make sure to be there early for the way back because it was only one bus at 2 oclock and many people were left in the line, Then taxis tried to fool us to go to another station with them but we met up with people who did and we arrived in beijing the same time and we waited for the 4 bus.

There are newer reviews for Mutianyu Great Wall

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked a private tour to see the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, the forbidden city, Olympic views, jade and silk factories with a very good English speaking guide named Sophie , via china international travel service. Very knowledgeable, very helpful, and very clear understanding of what we want to know and understand for each adventure. Would definitely book her again. Starting with the Great Wall ...... In a word amazing !!!! To think this was made by over 1 million people by hand in days without automation.... ?????. As for the trek to the top. I'm pretty fit. Gym every day etc, but man I was sweating it up and sucking in the air as much as I could. Very steep, very uneven. But you must push on to the top, no matter how long it takes you !!!! Once there the view is simply stunning and worth the effort, not less the bragging rights.... I counted, and as best as I can get I counted 1,849 steps to the top from the entry, needless to say.... No gym was required today !!!! On my day there was many vomits on the ground..My tip.... Don't walk on full stomach and bring a full bottle of water, you'll need it. The earlier you go the better = less crowds and the heat of the sun....and ensure you have a full battery for pictures.... The views are.........AMAZING.

Tiananmen Square is so big and the surrounding buildings so big you feel like a Piece of Lego. Simply huge. Can hold 1 million people. Great for pictures, just don't take any of the soldiers.... You will be asked to delete them, but a sneaky one to include a building will be okay...

Forbidden city is equally as large. Stunning and with my guide Sophie, once you are told the background, traditions, and lifestyles you'll be amazed, so I won't post the stories as it would take away from your own experience, suffice to say... Ask as many questions as you can, especially about the meaning of numbers, the emperors, their wives and concubines.

Jade gallery was wery interesting to see how it is formed into jewellery, etc. interesting, but be mindful this is a business run by the Chinese government. There is a bit of a hard sell to buy items, but the one consolation is that you know when buying from there the jade is REAL, not marble or stone like the markets. So for me...... $ 1,200 AUD later my wife and daughter both had a very nice jade bangle.

Now we moved onto the silk house. Again this is a business, but again, you know you are actually buying silk.... Nice short tour explaining how silk is harvested, and made into clothes, bedding, etc. massive showroom for purchases of anything silk and cashmere. Again I spend too much on silk donnas, doona covers, pillows and scarves.......tread warily...

Now onto the tea house tour.... Very nice to see the origins and differing blends. Again this is a business. You are invited to share tea, and in my case a private tea party for me and my host. I honestly never thought tea could be so enjoyable, and tasty.... I know you are waiting to ask......... Yes I did buy too much tea. In fact if your in Melbourne soon, I'm holding my very own tea party !!!!! Everyone who reads this is invited !!! Lol.

My guide Sophia, even found me a shop to purchase some beers on the way back to the motel so I could enjoy a few whilst reviewing my photos and when writing this blog.

Sophia's contact number if you are looking for a very nice female guide who not only speaks english, but more importantly understands English is 13146134767 plus code for china. Email is ........ sophie0524@163.com. Hope this was helpful..

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Everyone HAS to visit the great wall and this is a great part to go to. It's not too crowded with foreigners so you can breath and not worry about being in everyone's pictures. They have a ski lift to take you up if you cannot walk or don't want to. And there's a slide thing that you can take back down that's a lot of fun! Great place to go!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I must qualify this review by saying that the day we visited Mutianyu, the sky was bright blue and completely clear! We visited on a Saturday morning and were pleasantly surprised that this part of the Wall was not crowded. We stayed for a couple of hours and took it all in. Simply amazing.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Visiting China in December is cold. However it was inspiring to go to the Great Wall. Travelling with 3 Children under 8 we caught the chairlift up to the wall. Walking the wall was so exciting. The more energetic climbed higher. The steps are steep and you need to be active to scale them. Our 8 yo did this with his Mum and uncle. I found seating with the younger ones. The serene setting was awe inspiring. To add some fun to the whole trip the family caught the luge/toboggan down. This was so exciting for the kids. I caught the chairlift back.

Been to Mutianyu Great Wall? Share your experiences!