Silk Street & Pearl Market (Xiushui)
Open today: 9:30 AM - 9:00 PM

Ways to Experience Silk Street & Pearl Market (Xiushui)
from $38.00
from $39.00
from $54.99
1,257 results
All reviews asking price fake goods shop keepers louis vuitton bargaining skills pearl market hard bargaining story building silk scarves shopping experience initial price buy something great shopping fun experience subway station watches bargains
Selected filters
Reviewed September 2, 2010

If you want to be hassled , grabbed ,yelled at , ripped off then this is the place for you. The Silk market is very much like the Pearl market -- same goods , same rude employees , same inflated prices for tourists , same old spiel about "morning price" and "best price for first sale of day " etc etc. Yes it can be fun but mostly it is a turn off. You cant just browse the stalls and handle the goods without getting bombarded from all sides. The fact that the sales staff actually physically handle you is bad enough but i was told by one stall employee " i kill you if you but from another stall "!!!! No--this style of shopping is not for me and i think not for many others. Pity really as i intended to spend some money but left without buying anything. I did all my shopping in the street markets west of Qianmen street,South of Tiananmen Square. Nice , friendly , little bit of bargaining but most goods priced so you knew where you were.As for Pearl and Silk Market --- DONT go there !!!!

20  Thank rotovegas31
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Good deals to be had if you are an aggressive bargainer. Dont be fooled by their salemanship and positive comments. They are good at selling. Beware if you walk in and dont buy some of the girls are very aggressive and may shout insults at you. Also you may be physically manhandled as you walk past stores. Avoid eye contact with the proprietor if you are not interested in buying. Fake watches - dont much pay more than 100 yuan. We got caught the first time due to inexperience.

9  Thank tommomelbourne
Reviewed July 11, 2010

have fun!!! come prepared to bargain hard. offer 10% of what they tell you the price is and don't move very much. stand your ground. we bought prescription glasses. regular and sunglasses. hip trendy designer frames. they refracted us and lenses were ready in an hour. we are 2 weeks post trip and the glasses are great. we paid about 20$ each. we r stylin. frames are on 4th floor. first booth or shop next to stinky bathrooms, when u look at bathroom, shop is on your right, ask for nevi or navy, she speaks english. the long narrow designer scarves are also great. the stylish kind you can wrap around your neck. very cheap. so are the belt buckles,look hard some are good copies. ask for teh top quality belt. the purses are not the best copies. fun watches for 7$ and they are still ticking. you must ask them to show you the brands you want for ties and scarves, they will pull out big bags of goodies. the shoes looked really stiff and uncomfortable.

8  Thank airlandsee
Reviewed May 26, 2010

My son and I just returned from a very enjoyable trip to China. Of course, a trip to China wouldn’t be complete without visiting the many public markets for legendary Chinese fake / knock-off goods. So off we went to a number of markets including the famous Naijing Market in Shanghai and the Perl and Silk Markets in Beijing.

I love to shop and haggling and these markets are the height of fun for a shopper like me. My son also got into the spirit and learned to haggle on his own. However, after all the fun shopping, all the haggling and all the purchases at what seemed to be incredible deals I have great learnings to share with future China shoppers. First I’d like to give an idea of what I paid for various items after haggling. In some cases I’ll give an idea where the shop owner started with their pricing:

Casual shirts (Billabong, Jeep, Ecco, ...) – 30 RMB (about $5 CDN) each. A bought a couple of shirts the first day in Beijing and by the second day threads were unravelling. I wore one back to the Silk Market and had shop owners pulling the loose threads as I walked down the aisle. My other surprise was the sizes purchased. I’m big guy (tall/large) yet most of the shirts didn’t fit me despite some saying they were XXL! Sizes were all over and had nothing at all to do with the size on the inside shirt tag!

Runners (Reeboks) – 200 RMB (about $30 CDN). I haggled the shop owner pretty hard but they wouldn’t take less than 200 RMB. The shop owner was adamant these Reeboks were actually not fakes - unlike most of their other shoes. So far they seem to be fine although we’ll see in a few months how they wear.

Custom-made dress shirts – 100 RMB each (about $15-$20 CDN). I asked for and was shown the “best” cloth for these (seemed good). I like the fit and would consider ordering more.

Levi “fake” Jeans – 120 RMB (about $20 CDN). Of course they didn’t have my size in the immediate shop so a boy was sent to the basement to get it. This took some time while we haggled from their original price of 1480 RMB to my final price of 120 RMB. I suspect I still got taken. The boy eventually returned with a pair of Levi Jeans that read my size and the right leg length. I paid my money and left. Upon returning to my hotel I could not get the jeans on! When I checked the size I discovered a sticky label with my size had been put on top of the real (maybe) size. This must have been what the boy was busy doing. Ugh.

BlackBerry “fake” cell phone – 350 RMB (about $75 CDN). Truthfully this looks like Nokia phone inside with a BlackBerry label attached. It has a great feel about it. I was told it will absolutely work in Canada. Upon returning to Canada the only service provider that it will run on is Rogers as they still have their older GSM network running. This device does not support the new 3G HSPA network. It does have a bunch of cool features though (TV tuner, FM radio, dual cameras – front and back, dual sim card support, two batteries included). It’s a fun device even though Chinese writing comes up when you don’t expect it. In the end I went back to my old Canadian device (Real BlackBerry).

BVLGARI “fake” watch - $300 RMB (about $75 CDN). In China there are fakes and there are good fakes. I asked to look at the “good” watches and this one came out behind the counter. It appeared to be much higher in quality (real crystal, solid band, ...). How can anyone be sure?

SANDISK Micro-SD Memory 32GB – 50 RMB (about $9 CDN). Watch out for these! They have been memory hacked to look like 32GB when put in a device but in reality they are only 500MB! I used a tool to check this followed by a reformat which then showed the real size. I also read on the Internet where they can contain a virus. Mine showed 1/3rd of the space used when I plugged it in. I wonder what that space was being used for???!

Apple I-Pod Nano (Video) 16GB – 50 RMB (about $9 CDN). Again, memory hacked. Upon inspection it only has 500MB. If you exceed this amount it just overwrites other files (music, video, ...) causing a format error. A cool device albeit very cheaply made. Supports video (proprietary AMV format only), music, FM tuner, photos, but with this memory hack and limitation it’s pretty useless.

Nokia earbuds with microphone – 30 RMB (about $5 CDN). DOA when I got around to trying them.

Sony earbuds with microphone – 30 RMB (about $5 CDN) although I heard offer for 25 RMB later. So far they still seem to be working. I tried them with Skype and both the earbuds and microphone worked.

Boss earbuds with microphone – 30 RMB (about $5 CDN). Includes a nice looking leather carrying case.

Aside from the Nokia earbuds which were DOA the others are working okay and the price was right.

So in summary, I now don’t believe ANYTHING any of the shop owners say or present at these markets. Sizes, capacities, quality, whatever, are made to think it’s a great deal – NOT! The only real deal thus far are the custom-made shirts. I hope these last...

49  Thank LaidbackTravelers
Reviewed May 10, 2010

You can find here really cheap items (bargain is a must of course) like t-shirts for 2$, but not all items of same category has same prices. Telling your last price and walking away will not guarantee you'll get the item (maybe you really ask a too big discount).
So, my prices for today's shopping was these:
Good Style 'Diesel' Jeans = 85RMB (seller asked 400);
Kind of Leather 'Timberland' Shoes = 150RMB (seller asked 600);
Nice Skirt for my lady = 75RMB (seller asked 300).

However, I feel I did not get the minimum price i could :), but anyway 2-3euros doesn't matter.

God luck in bargaining there

4  Thank Henryk11