“"Only if you speak Mandarin, ... "”
Review of Xiyuan Hotel

Xiyuan Hotel
Ranked #167 of 6,492 Hotels in Beijing
Plano, Texas
“"Only if you speak Mandarin, ... "”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Well, this is a typical Chinese "Government Owned" hotel. I had less trouble compared with other reviewers, but I also have one advantage, I speak Mandarin!

I had two stays recently and the feelings are greatly different. Although it is labeled five-star, it is not really set for embracing international travelers.

My first stay was in last December when I attended an international meeting hosted by a government agency. I felt much welcome as I volunteered as the liaison between the "Foreign Guests" and the hotel personnel. Naturally, all the staff recognize me and I got a lot of supports from the staff. There were almost two hundred persons participated in the meeting. Many of them stayed in the lately remodeled Business Suites (Fifth Floor) and the room is nice with contemporary looks. I, however, got a regular room ($50 less per night than the BS). It was labeled "non-smoking" but it did have ash tray and matches in my room. Although I am very sensitive about stale smoke smell, I did not smell any cigarette. The room is clean but old. It pretty much follow the Japanese "modern-hotel" room style twenty years ago - central console by the night stand, not much of storage.

My recent stay was in late March as it is a "contract hotel" with discount rate for my client. Since I am not with a big international crowd, I could see the "normal way" of the operations from the hotel staff. I learned that, if I did not go to them, they did not engage with me. You may get service, but you have to ask. My Mandarin skill helped greatly.

Fortunately, the operator/front desk personnel speaks English.

Having said so, you don't pay a whole lot for a good size clean room in this hotel. Furthermore, the location of the hotel is pretty good if you have business in west part of Beijing (government agencies of Communications, Mineral, Finance are near by) or if you want to stay close to the Zoo. There is an Office of Xinjiang Province (west of China, border with Central Asia countries) near by with great lamb and Muslin dishes.

Room Tip: Business Suites on the Fifth Floor. The hotel is also doing remodeling on higher floors. Higher...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for the last three nights of a tour in China and sadly was the worst hotel we'd been in. The entrance is very impressive but the hotel is over 20 years old and showing its age. Its obviously a business hotel and probably good for that but the rooms have no cupboard or drawer space and only a tiny wardrobe which is not good when you want to unpack! Our safe was showing low battery and there was prompt attendance to deal but picking it up and swapping it for the one in the room next door didn't inspire confidence in security. Breakfasts are extensive but mostly catering for Chinese tastes and the bar prices are very high also 450 yuan for a coffee?? By the way, strange pillows - one hard and flat, the other filled with wheat (I think) - not come across that before!

Room Tip: Apparently only the 17th floor is non smoking but we stayed on 12th floor and no problem
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
perth
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed in this so called "5 star" hotel for 2 nights while transfer to another city, booked for non-smoke room as we take kids with us. On arrival late night we were told there is no non smoke room in the hotel and we were put in to a room dirty and smelling. The next day after complain about the room, we were change to a bit higher floor. My nightmare then start. The whole night the room have a wired noise every 45 minutes to one hour. (The next day called maintenance and was told it is the timer of heater!). It kept weak me up for the night and can't sleep at all. Suggest anyone want to have a nice sleep go somewhere else. Also the reception desk also not welcome, show face to everyone as we arrive late night. When we request extra blanket,took them more than 45 minutes to response to us. If hardware is set and limited, I will accept but when service level also dropped, I really don't think this hotel can be classified as five star. I see it as 2star hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank willseeyouthere
USA
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here while on a business trip and the room was booked by my host. I arrived from another hotel near Wangfujing which was modern, updated, and had wonderful service. This hotel was the exact opposite:

What I liked:

1. It had a extremely large lobby that was very spacious.
2. The breakfast had a decent assortment of foods, both east/western
3. There was a market about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel.

What I didn't like:

1. The rooms are dated. Wow, they really need updating!!

2. Speaking of updating, they were renovating the 18th floor and wouldn't you know the only non-smoking floor was the 17th! When I arrived, which was around 2pm, I had to listen to banging the entire time until it stopped at around 5:30pm!!!!! Could only change my room if I wanted a smoking room. It was horrible....sounded like the work crew was literally right above me.

3. The bathrooms have a shower stall and a bath/shower combo. The shower stall had a good amount of mold (ugh!!!) and it smelled musty. I closed the door when I wasn't using the bathroom, but then I'd get a burst of musty mold smell when I opened it. Needless to say, I used the bath/shower combo.

4. Carpet was dated and mattress felt hard/cheap. The gold plating on the lamps was peeling.

5. Only two English channels...CNN and BBC

6. A small kiosk where you could by a limited variety of snacks. I went to buy something and the lady acted like I was bothering her. She must've really hated it when I asked for a receipt lol

7. This is a Chinese run hotel so the staff's English skills were fairly basic. It's not their fault but I thought this was worth mentioning.

8. There's not much going in this area so if you want more night life, you'll need to either stay in another hotel or take the subway/taxi. The Beijing Zoo is close by.

I absolutely hated this hotel and was so ready to leave after my two nights there. Personally, I'd never stay there again, even after their renovation. It was a terrible experience for me!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in Xiyuan to attend a conference held there. This is a hotel for the Chinese and don't seem to be focused on international guests.

But rooms are clean and hotel has the basic services.

Pl negotiate prices to get a good rate

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My partner and I stayed in the Xiyuan Hotel Beijing on two separate occasions in October as part of a tour.

First impressions from the large spacious open lobby were good, however that was almost the highlight of the hotel for us. The hotel is located well away from Beijing city centre. It has a few restaurants close by but very few people speak English, or at least don't want to. I don't expect everyone to be able to (why should they, I don't speak the local language) least of all to any good standard especially as my command of Chinese extends to 'Hello', 'How are you' and 'I'm good thanks'! But it would be nice to have a couple of words in English. Especially as the Olympic games were held here only just 4 years ago, I expected a little easier communication.

Check in on both occasions was completed by our tour guide so I can't comment, however this went smoothly.

We got to our first room on the 17th floor, supposedly non smoking but definite smoky smell in the air. The room itself was allegedly an upgrade due to a short notice hotel change. However, this room was dated, damp musky smelling and in general very bland.
I then walked over to the bathroom area and found my socks soaked with water. This appeared to have come from an overflow of the shower. The floor was sopping wet and smelt strongly of damp, indicating that this wasn't a new problem. That was when I encountered the "English Speaking Staff" we had been promised.

I called reception to find that the first person I spoke to spoke no English. The second thought I wanted coffee, and the third arranged for a bell boy to come to the room to see what the problem was.
The soaked floor was resolved by another member of staff throwing down a few towels and stamping on them to soak the water up. Upon which some sort of carpet cleaner arrived which got the rest up. No change of room was offered.

The source of the problem was the shower, which would continually flood the bathroom floor despite having a closing glass door. The seals were of no use at all and all the water escaped to the floor.

The first night, we decided we would try a recommended restaurant in another part of town. Trying to get the concierge to order a taxi was a struggle. It took three people to look on a map where I was going, despite having it written down and pointed out to them, however they still struggled. We were eventually ushered outside with the door staff who tried (well, stood outside) to hail a taxi. However, they only flagged down those taxis that actually came to the hotel door to drop other guests off. A Chinese guest was allowed to jump in one before us, despite us waiting for 15 minutes already and him only 2, which was met with a shrug of shoulders from the hotel staff. In total, we waited for 40 minutes for a taxi, which the hotel staff were unsuccessful in getting for us. At this point, it was suggested that we may have better luck if we tried ourselves on the street nearby!

The breakfast was ok, nothing to right home about but not that bad either. Mainly catering for the locals but with quite adequate western style bacon, sausage, eggs etc. Having said that, the Chinese style food was also quite good.

We travelled in a group of 10 others, of which 8 had problems with their rooms such as the safe not working, tv being broken, shower seals broken and very smoky rooms. Others had to change their rooms.

Our need to have the room changed came on our penultimate morning. We left the room to head for breakfast but found that the door did not lock. We called reception to again have a language difficulty. The bell boy was sent up to investigate again, who told me to call a different number. This I did, went through the rigmarole of two people trying to understand what I was saying, someone else came to look at the door who said he couldn't fix it, to eventually be asked by reception if I wanted to change rooms and when I would like to, all the while having missed breakfast as the tour we were on was due to leave soon.
To their credit, the staff arranged for us to move to the room opposite and this was done within 10 minutes.

Our second visit to the hotel was for our overnight stay to fly back to London.
While a short fleeting visit, it was still not without it's problems.

The shower had the same issue in the morning with water completely flooding the floor, having to be mopped up with our towels after we had showered.
The other issue was that the tv was not working at all. No power. All plugged in and connected but just not able to be turned on. No major problem for us at all as we had no need to watch it, just something that shouldn't be happening in a supposed 5* hotel.

As this was simply an overnight stay for a few hours, we put up with the issues.

My overall impression of this hotel is that is is certainly not 5*, it barely manages to get a 4* in my opinion but is a high standard of 3* with the facilities of a better quality hotel.
The staff however have let it down a little, just generally being very surly and appearing unfriendly. I don't feel I am being harsh at all with the above. We stayed in 3 other 5* hotels on this trip, all of which were wonderful. The staff friendly and polite.
We we never greeted in the Xiyuan hotel and asking them for simple things seemed to be putting them out.
The rooms are in need of modernisation (at least the ones we stayed in) and are not without their faults. Not expected from this grade of hotel.

Stay here if you are looking for no frills, not particularly great service and have a good command of the language, but be prepared for the above.

Room Tip: 17th floor is non smoking
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

During business trip for 5 days in China, I stayed in different hotel every night, and I stayed in Xi Yuan hotel at the first night. My company partner booked me in this hotel because the location is just a minute drive from the meeting location.

There are some restaurant in this hotel, and one of them is very good for private dinner. Breakfast also very good with many choices of the food.

The room is very spacious, and the bathroom has glass wall with view to the room. Cable internet access also very fast.

Good for business trip!