“Good 3*, Adequate 4*, Poor 5*” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Xiyuan Hotel

Xiyuan Hotel
Ranked #191 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Good 3*, Adequate 4*, Poor 5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My partner and I stayed in the Xiyuan Hotel Beijing on two separate occasions in October as part of a tour.

First impressions from the large spacious open lobby were good, however that was almost the highlight of the hotel for us. The hotel is located well away from Beijing city centre. It has a few restaurants close by but very few people speak English, or at least don't want to. I don't expect everyone to be able to (why should they, I don't speak the local language) least of all to any good standard especially as my command of Chinese extends to 'Hello', 'How are you' and 'I'm good thanks'! But it would be nice to have a couple of words in English. Especially as the Olympic games were held here only just 4 years ago, I expected a little easier communication.

Check in on both occasions was completed by our tour guide so I can't comment, however this went smoothly.

We got to our first room on the 17th floor, supposedly non smoking but definite smoky smell in the air. The room itself was allegedly an upgrade due to a short notice hotel change. However, this room was dated, damp musky smelling and in general very bland.
I then walked over to the bathroom area and found my socks soaked with water. This appeared to have come from an overflow of the shower. The floor was sopping wet and smelt strongly of damp, indicating that this wasn't a new problem. That was when I encountered the "English Speaking Staff" we had been promised.

I called reception to find that the first person I spoke to spoke no English. The second thought I wanted coffee, and the third arranged for a bell boy to come to the room to see what the problem was.
The soaked floor was resolved by another member of staff throwing down a few towels and stamping on them to soak the water up. Upon which some sort of carpet cleaner arrived which got the rest up. No change of room was offered.

The source of the problem was the shower, which would continually flood the bathroom floor despite having a closing glass door. The seals were of no use at all and all the water escaped to the floor.

The first night, we decided we would try a recommended restaurant in another part of town. Trying to get the concierge to order a taxi was a struggle. It took three people to look on a map where I was going, despite having it written down and pointed out to them, however they still struggled. We were eventually ushered outside with the door staff who tried (well, stood outside) to hail a taxi. However, they only flagged down those taxis that actually came to the hotel door to drop other guests off. A Chinese guest was allowed to jump in one before us, despite us waiting for 15 minutes already and him only 2, which was met with a shrug of shoulders from the hotel staff. In total, we waited for 40 minutes for a taxi, which the hotel staff were unsuccessful in getting for us. At this point, it was suggested that we may have better luck if we tried ourselves on the street nearby!

The breakfast was ok, nothing to right home about but not that bad either. Mainly catering for the locals but with quite adequate western style bacon, sausage, eggs etc. Having said that, the Chinese style food was also quite good.

We travelled in a group of 10 others, of which 8 had problems with their rooms such as the safe not working, tv being broken, shower seals broken and very smoky rooms. Others had to change their rooms.

Our need to have the room changed came on our penultimate morning. We left the room to head for breakfast but found that the door did not lock. We called reception to again have a language difficulty. The bell boy was sent up to investigate again, who told me to call a different number. This I did, went through the rigmarole of two people trying to understand what I was saying, someone else came to look at the door who said he couldn't fix it, to eventually be asked by reception if I wanted to change rooms and when I would like to, all the while having missed breakfast as the tour we were on was due to leave soon.
To their credit, the staff arranged for us to move to the room opposite and this was done within 10 minutes.

Our second visit to the hotel was for our overnight stay to fly back to London.
While a short fleeting visit, it was still not without it's problems.

The shower had the same issue in the morning with water completely flooding the floor, having to be mopped up with our towels after we had showered.
The other issue was that the tv was not working at all. No power. All plugged in and connected but just not able to be turned on. No major problem for us at all as we had no need to watch it, just something that shouldn't be happening in a supposed 5* hotel.

As this was simply an overnight stay for a few hours, we put up with the issues.

My overall impression of this hotel is that is is certainly not 5*, it barely manages to get a 4* in my opinion but is a high standard of 3* with the facilities of a better quality hotel.
The staff however have let it down a little, just generally being very surly and appearing unfriendly. I don't feel I am being harsh at all with the above. We stayed in 3 other 5* hotels on this trip, all of which were wonderful. The staff friendly and polite.
We we never greeted in the Xiyuan hotel and asking them for simple things seemed to be putting them out.
The rooms are in need of modernisation (at least the ones we stayed in) and are not without their faults. Not expected from this grade of hotel.

Stay here if you are looking for no frills, not particularly great service and have a good command of the language, but be prepared for the above.

Room Tip: 17th floor is non smoking
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

During business trip for 5 days in China, I stayed in different hotel every night, and I stayed in Xi Yuan hotel at the first night. My company partner booked me in this hotel because the location is just a minute drive from the meeting location.

There are some restaurant in this hotel, and one of them is very good for private dinner. Breakfast also very good with many choices of the food.

The room is very spacious, and the bathroom has glass wall with view to the room. Cable internet access also very fast.

Good for business trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oakville, ON, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights this past July. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, ensuite bathroom well equipped, if somewhat musty smelling. General cleanliness is acceptable, but will certainly not be up to international 4 or 5 star standards. We found the concierge and front desk helpful, although some of our tour groupmates would disagree strongly. The best thing about this hotel is the breakfast buffet and the beer garden at the back.
For the price we paid, it was a good deal, but there are better accommodations to be had in Beijing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank OakONResident
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel is located in the northeast of Beijing close to the Beijing Zoo and the Exhibition Center. It is rated 5-star in the Chinese rating system. I'd say it is close to a 4-star in the US rating. The hotel breakfast has good variety for either Chinese or westen tastes, though you can find much better price and quality food nearby outside of the hotel. The rooms are clean and the bed are not as hard as most of the Chinese standard bed. The front desk folks are fairly friendly, though seem to be limitted with their ability to resolve issues.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel, you get much better price and room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Waverunner2012
Islamabad, Pakistan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

Just returned from Beijing yesterday and had the opportunity of staying at XiYuan Hotel. It was on a business trip that my company booked me in the hotel due its convenience of being closer to the company.The hotel is located away from the city centre yet near to Beijing Zoo and a train/ bus station hub. However, there are few Karoke bars nearby, if one is interested in clubbing. A Pizza Hut and KFC is located nearby with a Carre Four as well. Although the hyper store is much below the standards of being called a Carre Four.There are no shopping areas or malls around, which is a big negative for the tourists. The hotel is an old 5 star one, renovated to good standard, yet not very conveniently located. However, it is neat and clean with fast internet available free in the room (thru LAN cable) and wi fi in the lobby. Both free! The bathrooms are very updated with warm water available without any problems. The housekeeping is good with 2 mineral water bottles (250ml) free of charge daily. The room charges on the rack are expensive but may get it cheaper on bargain or through certain arrangement by a company which one may be visiting. The room views are good but not much to see around from large windows. However, gives a feeling of openness. Hotel serves continental breakfast though with not very elaborate choice, yet acceptable. It also houses a Muslim restaurant inside, which is fairly ok as far as the taste and variety is concerned. I didn't check if there is a swimming pool there but there ought to be one as the hotel has a 5 star rating. Overall a comfortable hotel without much ado!

Room Tip: As for lowering the rates than what r shown on the rack.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Fahim K
Glendive, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

I spent a week here recently with a U.S. delegation. I don't have much to compare it to, as we only stayed at two hotels in China during the trip. However, I doubt it could get much better than this in China. The rooms were clean and beautiful with many amenities. The hotel itself is wonderful, and the staff is helpful and friendly. Most of the staff could speak at least a little English. The food was varied and good. I had one problem when my room wasn't clean and it was immediately taken care of by hotel staff. I would say this hotel is roughly the equivalent of an Omni in the U.S. No complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: There is a great little shop next to the hotel that sells good beer cheap and the people are friendl...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

A good hotel. Reasonably priced with good comfortable rooms. Breakfast was good and the in house muslim restaurant offers authentic western china food which is very delicious.

Room Tip: Executive floor is certainly better.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business