“Good for families”
Review of Jade Palace Hotel

Jade Palace Hotel
Ranked #1,720 of 6,564 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just came back from my 7 nights at the Jade Palace. It is rated 5 stars which is probably not the case in western standards. The hotel was chosen by our tour group. Myself, husband and my 3 yr old stayed at the hotel. The room is spacious and yes the beds are really hard which most Chinese actually likes to sleep on. The bed is like sleeping on a box spring. I was not crazy about the bed but my husband didn't mind the firm bed. The rooms are kept clean and yes the shower stall is not installed the best way but with a towel it does wipe up the wet floors. The in room safe is confusing to use so we didn't bother with it. My 3 yr old like the room as there was enough space for him to jump around. The morning breakfast is ok and luke warm. We dined in 2 restaurants, the food was good and priced cheap compared to Canadian pricing. The dim sum is recommended and the dumplings we son really enjoyed. Overall I would recommend this hotel. It is pretty close to the airport about 30 min drive pending on traffic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank page l

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel is ok, however takes 40 mins by metro to downtown.
Cost $95 US a night. It is close the Chinese academy of science, summer palace and birdnest . Otherwise far away fom everywhere.

Breakfast is ok, has not have lots of choices. Room is big, it has in rom cable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Global_travel7035
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at the Jade Palace in Beijing, China. The room was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was bigger than a typical hotel bathroom but we also had the similar problems with water leaking from the shower. We solved the problem by using the shower handle and turn away from the shower door. The first thing that stood out was how firm/hard the beds were. My kids, 13 and 10, and I were very skeptical of getting a good night's sleep. We were surprised how well we slept all 3 nights there! It sold me on getting a firmer bed! We were able to eat at the breakfast buffet each morning which was part of our tour packet. It had both western and Chinese breakfast offerings. A very good selection with hot food prep tables that made individually ordered porridge, wonton noodles and egg dishes such as omelets. It was difficult to know how well the location is since we had a tour guide that picked us up from the hotel each morning for our daily excursions. But from what we can tell, it wasn't too far of a drive to any one destination. This was the kids' favorite hotel in China among all the ones we stayed at. For me I was satisfied with no real complaints.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank spunkymom2
Reviewed October 5, 2012

After a long flight and an intense taxi ride we arrived at the Jade Palace, the first impression is very nice. The lobby and piano bar are beautiful and great places to relax in the evening. Once we got check in we headed up to the room. The room was nice, a decent size. I had read reviews before we went so I was prepared for the hard bed, we brought a foam topper and used the extra comforter and found it okay. The bathroom was a decent size but the shower door didn't close and there always ended up being a ton of water on the bathroom floor, we talked with others and depending on your room this was a problem. I cannot speak about location much as we were on day tours the three days we were there. There is a Mcdonald's nearby, as well a good hot pot restaurant and small convenience store. This was listed to us as a 5 star hotel by the tour company, for China maybe, more a 31/2 to 4 in North American ratings, but the hotel was clean, the staff were helpful and the breakfast buffet was one of the better ones we had in China. Overall I have no complaints about it.
**We did however treat ourselves to massages from the hotel and I must say it was one of the most brutal massages I have ever had, they were very ruff and I ended up with alot of bruising, it was not like any massage I had ever had, so use caution if booking a massage. Out of everyone I know who got one, about 3/4 of us felt it was overly ruff and many of us had bruises.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LiveAroundTheWorld
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After all the reviews about the hard beds I was expecting real trouble, but I have definitely slept in harder. In London. I was staying here because it was near a conference I was attending, but would be happy to come back. The hotel is so-so (for 5*) but is very clean APART from the carpet - do they not have vacuum cleaners here? While the outside is a but scruffy, the inside is well kept, and the staff were polite, although did not speak much English. The food is ok, but very expensive compared to eating out. At least the breakfast had reasonable coffee! For the price, it is a reasonable deal - I paid 580 yuan for an executive room with breakfast, comfortable and mostly clean - WAY better value than a London hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book an executive room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ruthie81
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Our tour group was put up at the Jade Palace. The lobby is nice looking but the beds are terribly hard. Wireless is available only in the Lobby area but there are FEW places to sit down to comfortably use ones PDA. The few chairs there are also very old and worn.

The short beds are no better than sleeping on the floor! I placed the couch pillows under my sheet cover to actually get some sleep. I was told that is the way Chinese like their beds. Trouble is I don't and there were no alternatives. This was a big turn off and we stayed there 4 night! The shower leaks alot on the floor as it isn't fully glassed in on all sides.
There are two English language TV channels.on a fairly old TV. Time for a flat screen and movie channels folks!

The morning buffet is really quite good and plentiful but you need to be quick to find a place to sit down. Occassionally they opened the Korean restaurant side to allow for more seating. Come early as all tour groups leave at 8 ish so the place is CRAZY busy just before.
I liked the made to order eggs station but the one cook was pretty slow to say the least. I had occassionally folks just cut in front of me while I grew roots waiting for my order.

If you want to swim in the lap pool (in the basement) better bring a swimming cap..who wears those these days! There is no shopping or really any signifcant activities around the hotel. Nothing for kids to do here either.

They were doing renovations on the 8th floor and at one point I thought a jack hammer was going to drop through the cieling. Had to call front desk to ask them to stop working as I was trying to sleep after a 14 hour flight. They said the workers should finish up early evening sometime and hung up. Not good!

The place might be a 3 star by western standards but needs to seriously rethink what all goes into making a pleasureable stay for international travelers.

I would strongly suggest searching out a better destination, especially at the high rates the Jade charges!

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you have a choice! Rooms facing back look onto old housing. If they have any...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank FamilySpringBreak
Reviewed August 26, 2012

i came here as part of an organised tour so i didn't pick this hotel by choice. Like other reviews the hotel is self - rated 5 star. similar to the other reviews, the hotel is modern but outdated. The carpet has a musty smell which could use a good steam.
The room is modern and big. There is only LAN internet in the room. wifi is only available in lobby.

cleanliness - not bad for chinese standards. Don't expect too much.

Location - not great, there isn't much around except small eateries and maccas. Walmart is 10 mins by foot and there is also a subway right next to it.

Service - don't speak well english. This hotel is mainly used by tour groups and most of them are mainly chinese. Day staff speak better english than night staff. The tour desk is very helpful with booking our flight and train tickets so if you need help with those it's best to ask the desk. They do a pretty good job and very efficient. He doesn't speak english but he gets the general gist of things from people's body language, like i said he is very efficient and knows what his doing!

Room Tip: some rooms have bad craftsmanship so water from the shower might leak out but it's ok if you let...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends