“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #1,638 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
Glendale, CA
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at the Jade Palace in Beijing, China. The room was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was bigger than a typical hotel bathroom but we also had the similar problems with water leaking from the shower. We solved the problem by using the shower handle and turn away from the shower door. The first thing that stood out was how firm/hard the beds were. My kids, 13 and 10, and I were very skeptical of getting a good night's sleep. We were surprised how well we slept all 3 nights there! It sold me on getting a firmer bed! We were able to eat at the breakfast buffet each morning which was part of our tour packet. It had both western and Chinese breakfast offerings. A very good selection with hot food prep tables that made individually ordered porridge, wonton noodles and egg dishes such as omelets. It was difficult to know how well the location is since we had a tour guide that picked us up from the hotel each morning for our daily excursions. But from what we can tell, it wasn't too far of a drive to any one destination. This was the kids' favorite hotel in China among all the ones we stayed at. For me I was satisfied with no real complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank spunkymom2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012

After a long flight and an intense taxi ride we arrived at the Jade Palace, the first impression is very nice. The lobby and piano bar are beautiful and great places to relax in the evening. Once we got check in we headed up to the room. The room was nice, a decent size. I had read reviews before we went so I was prepared for the hard bed, we brought a foam topper and used the extra comforter and found it okay. The bathroom was a decent size but the shower door didn't close and there always ended up being a ton of water on the bathroom floor, we talked with others and depending on your room this was a problem. I cannot speak about location much as we were on day tours the three days we were there. There is a Mcdonald's nearby, as well a good hot pot restaurant and small convenience store. This was listed to us as a 5 star hotel by the tour company, for China maybe, more a 31/2 to 4 in North American ratings, but the hotel was clean, the staff were helpful and the breakfast buffet was one of the better ones we had in China. Overall I have no complaints about it.
**We did however treat ourselves to massages from the hotel and I must say it was one of the most brutal massages I have ever had, they were very ruff and I ended up with alot of bruising, it was not like any massage I had ever had, so use caution if booking a massage. Out of everyone I know who got one, about 3/4 of us felt it was overly ruff and many of us had bruises.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LiveAroundTheWorld
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After all the reviews about the hard beds I was expecting real trouble, but I have definitely slept in harder. In London. I was staying here because it was near a conference I was attending, but would be happy to come back. The hotel is so-so (for 5*) but is very clean APART from the carpet - do they not have vacuum cleaners here? While the outside is a but scruffy, the inside is well kept, and the staff were polite, although did not speak much English. The food is ok, but very expensive compared to eating out. At least the breakfast had reasonable coffee! For the price, it is a reasonable deal - I paid 580 yuan for an executive room with breakfast, comfortable and mostly clean - WAY better value than a London hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book an executive room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ruthie81
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Our tour group was put up at the Jade Palace. The lobby is nice looking but the beds are terribly hard. Wireless is available only in the Lobby area but there are FEW places to sit down to comfortably use ones PDA. The few chairs there are also very old and worn.

The short beds are no better than sleeping on the floor! I placed the couch pillows under my sheet cover to actually get some sleep. I was told that is the way Chinese like their beds. Trouble is I don't and there were no alternatives. This was a big turn off and we stayed there 4 night! The shower leaks alot on the floor as it isn't fully glassed in on all sides.
There are two English language TV channels.on a fairly old TV. Time for a flat screen and movie channels folks!

The morning buffet is really quite good and plentiful but you need to be quick to find a place to sit down. Occassionally they opened the Korean restaurant side to allow for more seating. Come early as all tour groups leave at 8 ish so the place is CRAZY busy just before.
I liked the made to order eggs station but the one cook was pretty slow to say the least. I had occassionally folks just cut in front of me while I grew roots waiting for my order.

If you want to swim in the lap pool (in the basement) better bring a swimming cap..who wears those these days! There is no shopping or really any signifcant activities around the hotel. Nothing for kids to do here either.

They were doing renovations on the 8th floor and at one point I thought a jack hammer was going to drop through the cieling. Had to call front desk to ask them to stop working as I was trying to sleep after a 14 hour flight. They said the workers should finish up early evening sometime and hung up. Not good!

The place might be a 3 star by western standards but needs to seriously rethink what all goes into making a pleasureable stay for international travelers.

I would strongly suggest searching out a better destination, especially at the high rates the Jade charges!

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you have a choice! Rooms facing back look onto old housing. If they have any...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank FamilySpringBreak
Melbourne
Reviewed August 26, 2012

i came here as part of an organised tour so i didn't pick this hotel by choice. Like other reviews the hotel is self - rated 5 star. similar to the other reviews, the hotel is modern but outdated. The carpet has a musty smell which could use a good steam.
The room is modern and big. There is only LAN internet in the room. wifi is only available in lobby.

cleanliness - not bad for chinese standards. Don't expect too much.

Location - not great, there isn't much around except small eateries and maccas. Walmart is 10 mins by foot and there is also a subway right next to it.

Service - don't speak well english. This hotel is mainly used by tour groups and most of them are mainly chinese. Day staff speak better english than night staff. The tour desk is very helpful with booking our flight and train tickets so if you need help with those it's best to ask the desk. They do a pretty good job and very efficient. He doesn't speak english but he gets the general gist of things from people's body language, like i said he is very efficient and knows what his doing!

Room Tip: some rooms have bad craftsmanship so water from the shower might leak out but it's ok if you let...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank skeeto888
CANADA
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We didn't actually choose to stay at the Jade Palace Hotel; it was chosen by our tour. Given the number of choices available in Beijing, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We were told by our tour that this was a 'five star hotel'. Upon arrival, we realized that they likely meant "five out of fifteen stars," because the hotel failed on almost every front.

Do not be fooled by the somewhat impressive foyer. After checking in, our family walked into the elevator and was greeted by a seething pool of vomit. We arrived in our rooms (two doubles), and quickly discovered that the beds were the equivalents of cardboard boxes. It is only marginally better than sleeping on the floor. Already discouraged, we then turned on the light in the bathroom.

Defying perhaps every expectation of chinese efficiency and intelligent design, it was the most awkwardly laid out bathroom I've ever seen. It's extremely cramped; the tiles have been laid in such a way that causes water to pool, and for mould to grow. My sister showered first, and discovered why the (black) mould seemed to be flourishing in the shower. Slow drainage caused the water to pool up past her ankles. The water still had not drained half an hour later when I went in for my shower. Following this, we changed rooms to the ninth floor, where the drainage was only slightly better but the mould was ever present. We made a point of taking off our contacts before showering so our visibility would be slight blurred and adopted the mantra of "Just don't think about it" when preparing ourselves to shower. Make sure you bring flip flops for showering.

(TIP: the hotel is located on a very busy road. Even on the ninth floor, we could hear voices and traffic from the ground quite clearly. If possible, ask for a higher floor. Also, the ninth floor has flat screen televisions. The seventh floor does not).

The hotel staff is mostly indifferent (probably numbed from all of the complaints). They refused to help us call a taxi, and directed us to the road to hail one ourselves. I would discourage anyone from opting into the breakfast (which costs 118 yuan), as our family experienced numerous stomach complications from the oily, salty fare.

There were some redeeming qualities. I'm currently writing this review on the free broadband internet offered in rooms, and there was a wire provided as well. Owners of ipads and iphones, however, need to go down to the lobby to use the wifi. It's pretty fast, though not fast enough to stream TV. The sheets were clean, as were the towels (mostly). There's a kettle in the room, and adjustable air conditioning. We didn't use the pool, after reading reviews that it's mostly a glorified cave, but it's free to use.

Overall, there are better options in Beijing. The location isn't particularly central, so if you're going to stay in a crappy hotel, at least find one that's conveniently located. There was nothing particularly pleasant about our stay at the hotel, but we didn't spend much time there anyway. If anything, the Jade Palace with motivate you to stay out and about in Beijing for as long as possible during your vacation.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank C C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Of all the beds I slept on while traveling in China, the beds at the Jade Palace were by far the hardest. The beds were so stiff that it bruised both sides of my body. I had to try to keep myself on my back while sleeping on those beds. The room was decently clean, but the bathroom floor was constantly wet due to the configuration of the shower/bath. The service was friendly each time I interacted with somebody. There is free wifi in the lobby area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family