“Between 2 and 3 stars”

Wangfujing Dawan Hotel
Ranked #232 of 1,434 Beijing B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed here a few times during my stay (as arranged by my hosts), so saw some different rooms. None of them had fridges, so I'm pretty sure all the booking sites that say there are in room fridges are either out of date or lying - though I'm guessing the former. There's a space where you'd think a fridge would be, but it's empty.

Downsides:
- One room always had a few flies in the bathroom, even after I got rid of them, the next day they'd be back. I could _not_ figure out where they were coming from.
- One bathroom did have a slight sewage smell - not of feces/etc, but more sulfur-y.
- Internet connection was often really slow.
- One of the rooms was facing the main street, and you could hear the constant horn honking through the singlepane windows.
- One of the rooms had wooden floors, and I don't think it gets fully swept all the time.

Upsides:
- One room had two sets of windows; basically a set of double pane windows installed behind the single pane set, making for a good isolation from outside noise.
- Aircon was nice and strong.
- Location is good - across the street from a subway station (with another up the block if you don't want to bother with crossing the street), and a short walk to Wangfujing street.
- Convenience store maybe a hundred meters/yards from the front door

Eh:
- Keys were sometimes flakey. Usually having the front desk re-code them fixed it for a while.
- Towels usually a bit worn, though occasionally get a newer plusher one.
- Beds firm, but most in China are. Get used to it.
- Walls/doors a bit on the thin side

Would I stay here again? It's an option, but I might look elsewhere first to see what other choices are around.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank GoonieGooGoo

Reviewed July 20, 2011

My colleague and I pre - booked double rooms each for 3 nights starting Wednesday, 13/7. Remembering that they were approx. $AUD40.00 per night, the fact that this place is not 5 Star should not startle anyone!
Upon entry, we discovered that the staff had confused the booking of 2 rooms for 2 TO 1 room for two! They recovered from this when I showed them my printed Confirmation Slip and gave us the 2 rooms we had requested! The rooms were nothing special, but they had air conditioning and were basically comfortable with ready Internet access : very important!
The desk staff's efficiency ranged from reasonably helpful to bordering on incompetent! One of the girls at least had the honesty to "confess" that they did not have the English skills to solve complicated problems, which I could live with! Another though, let out a most audible sigh of discontent when I pressed her about one of the hotel's "claimed" services!
So, the hotel's claim of laundry facilities is a complete myth and plainly fraudulent! After trudging the nearby hutong with one of the hotel staff who had no idea of what to look for or why, a man in the street solved the problem and my laundry was catered for. But, it had NOTHING to do with the hotel whatsoever!
The two features that "saved" it were the food in the restaurant : I thought I was in heaven whilst eating the three different Chinese meals over the three nights there. It was not expensive for me!
Finally, my colleague and I needed to be at the airport for a 7.15am flight to Xi'an on Saturday morning. The ladies at the desk summoned the manager who MOST COMPETENTLY organised personal transport for us, fixed a price which we paid in advance and told us to be in the lobby at 5.00am : a terrible privation, but it all WORKED!!!
Lukewarm about Beijing? Hailing a cab on my own simply did not happen over the 3 days I was there! The ever - present pollution in the air was MOST depressing and I tried to imagine living there day in and day out : I couldn't imagine it! Strangely, the number of people did not faze me even whilst "living" in the city centre! Maybe I would stay at Da Wan again...and maybe not, if I EVER return!!!

Room Tip: No real suggestions about how to procure
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mousebender798009
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Strong sewerage odour in bathroom
Stingy toilet paper usage. Tiny roll of about 1cm thick per day which is insufficient for daily use.
No fridge/tea bags/mineral water in the room
Sad looking torn towels
TV colour faded, remote control not fully functional
Very close to subway station
Restaurant at underground serves delicious food and value for money. Must order the crispy chicken nut and spicy sour soup
Beware not to stain the towels or you have to wash it off. Otherwise you have to pay for the towel 50 yuen

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank LeonardKhoo
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I just returned home from a nine night stay in a suite at the Da Wan Hotel. Considering the price of the suite was $62US per night, it was quite a value. The rooms were large and comfortably furnished, although the bed was quite hard. The suite was suitably clean. Front desk staff was pleasant enough but had very limited English. Location of the hotel is excellent with subway entrance directly across the street. I do not recommend the restaurant at the hotel only because there are so many fantastic places to eat nearby that are just better. This is not a five star hotel and is not advertised as such. In my opinion, I got more than I paid for.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Cheap hotel, and we got what we paid for! Beds were very hard and one had big lumps. There was sometimes a strong odor of sewer gas in the bathroom. Fixtures were corroded. Cleaning people messed with our things, putting them away and zippering the containers. Front desk people tried to charge us for breakfast, which we had paid for. Very slow service but their English was adequate for basic communication. Breakfast maybe OK for Chinese but probably not for most Westerners.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2009

A Chinese friend helped me find this place on the internet. I asked his advice since this is such a huge city and I don't know the neighborhoods. Long story short, I was put into an economy room with no shower after they canceled my reservation for arriving 10 minutes too late due to Beijing rush hour traffic. Prostitutes called the room to see if I wanted massage, and the shower wait was sometimes 45 + minutes due to staff at the hotel, who apparently also sleep here, were using the grungy facilities. Keep looking, even if it's pricier.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo