“Nice hotel, had a nice stay”

Holiday Inn Central Plaza
Ranked #88 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice hotel, had a nice stay”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here wtih friends as part of a tour package. Overall, I have to say that the hotel was clean, staff were friendly. There are some really good and inexpensive restaurants close to the hotel if you wish to venture out of the hotel. The hotel had typical western fare mixed with local specialties. Location was a bit out of the way for the tour, as traffic can be bad in Beijing. My only comment would be that the hotel should be more helpful with westerners and taxis, as Beijing taxis seem to not want to pick up westerners. Otherwise, a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask about smoking vs non-smoking options if this matters to you.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank newtoVancouver8374
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear newtoVancouver8374,

Thank you for choosng the Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing for your stay at Beijing together with your wife and friends. We are so delighted to find that you are satisfied with the hotel cleanliness and staff service. Our Salt & Pepper Restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet of both western and Chinese cuisine, hoping that it is good for you.

The hotel is located in Guanganmen commercial and civic area. It is fifteen-minute drive from the South and West Railway Station and 50 minutes drive from the Beijing Capital International Airport. I know it is a little bit difficult to find a taxi in Beijing especially in rush hours. Our Concierge staff would like to help hail a taxi for you and instruct the taxi driver where to take you in your time of need. Besides, you are entitled to choose smoking and non-smoking room when making reservation or designating it upon check-in.

We look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing in the near future. Thank you!

Best regards,
Distribution Manager
Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Portalban (Switzerland)
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We spent a week in the Central Plaza Beijing in October 2013. I had been a week in 2006 in the same hotel and decided to return, this time with my wife, on the basis of my good previous experience. We were not disappointed. The staff was equally welcoming. In fact, it started even before landing in Beijing: the reception staff provided by e-mail an access map for the taxi driver at the PEK airport (about an hour drive, but close to two hours if you arrive in the early hours of the day). Being a Gold Priority Member, we were upgraded to a nice and quiet suite with a lot of space and a very comfortable king bed. The Hotel still maintains its pleasant practice of evening "happy hour" for guests staying at executive floors. This is a definite advantage which advocates in favour of staying at the Central Plaza. In addition, four items of laundry were washed every day for free. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious with all kinds of dishes representing Chinese and European cuisines. We did not use the swimming pool. In general, I can say that the hotel remains very good in terms of service, food quality and friendliness of staff. However, its overall structure begins to age.

As pointed out by other reviewers, the Central Plaza is not very "central" as its name might suggest: it is located just outside the centre of Beijing, but the main tourist attractions are easily accessible by taxi, or - as we did - by riding Bus # 10 (approximately 400 m away) that goes directly to the Tian'anmen Square. From Tian'anmen, the Forbidden City as well as the gorgeous shopping area South of it are easily accessible. An alternative is to take Bus # 56 almost opposite the hotel to the nearest subway station (Nanlishilu, line 1).

I wish to emphasize that Beijing has a really efficient network of public transportation that is quick and absolutely safe. Travel information is posted in English on board the buses or subway cars. In our experience, making use of subway and bus does not require more time than hiring a taxi and offers the opportunity to get acquainted with the local population. It only requires a little advance planning and walk up to the bus or subway station. The general bus fare is 1 ¥ per bus ridden (no "transfer coupon"). Have 1¥ coins or notes at hand: the driver has no access to change. The general subway fare is 2 ¥. There are vending machines that accept notes of small denominations in all subway stations we visited. There is an "English" button allowing to buy tickets easily.

Room Tip: Upgrading to the executive floors is worth.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claude-George
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Claude-George,

Firstly, Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing would give a big welcome to you, our old friends. Thank you for returning this hotel again with your wife. We are so delighted to see that the experience this time still satisfied you as 8 years have passed by since your last stay. Our hardware facilities may become aging as time flies; however, our consciousness and sensitivity of service as well as our aspiration of bringing comfortable and pleasant experience to our guests is still clear and dedicated. Thank you for your long-term supporting and appreciation.
It has been about 10 years since the hotel opens. So renovations and decorations are being carried out at the moment for rooms and restaurant. We sincerely hope to give our guests some fresh feelings about the hotel, but unchangeably, we are committed to providing the same stay experience to our friends through constantly improving our services and correcting our deficiencies.
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing again. We are looking forward to welcoming you next time!

With best regards and wishes,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on a budget but still wanting a nice experience. The staff spoke passable English, were eager to help, and the rooms were clean and well maintained. Room service was great. It is a bit off the beaten track, but only a 40RMB taxi ride to Tianenmen Square!

Room Tip: If you are going to the great wall, do yourself a favour and go to Jinshanling, not Badaling.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dane p
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Dane P,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Centra Plaza Beijing with your family. We feel it a great pleasure to provide you with a comfortable and pleasant experience during your stay at Beijing. Thanks so much for your feedback about our staff service, room cleanliness and services. That is great encouragement for our staff, motivating us to devote ourselves to guest services. besides, Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing is located at the center of Beijing city, convenient to get many tourist attractions and shopping malls, such as the Tiananmen Square, Temple of Heaven, The Imperial Palace, and Summer Palace, Xidan, Wangfujing, Qianmen, etc. in addtion, we are just 10mins drive from 2 subway lines, West and South Railway Stations etc.

Thanks so much for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Oakland, California
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times before over the past 5 years, and the place has fallen from acceptable to not good enough to warrant spending your money. For American's the name Holiday Inn is recognizable, and not first class, but reliable, clean and comfortable. In Asia, most (maybe all--not sure) Holiday Inns are franchise operations where the accommodations, service and staffing are not consistently monitored and managed. The name means pretty much nothing except they show up on the Holiday Inn central website for bookings. You could end up in a great place with well-trained staff or a lousy place with completely under-trained staff.

This particular H.I. is in a residential neighborhood off the beaten tourist path. It's quiet and in the past has provided a level of service and accommodation that exceeded the price when staying at the club level. Something went south in the past 12 months. On arrival this time, the front door was unmanned, the front desk didn't acknowledge the Gold status of our Holiday Inn Club membership, and we were assigned a smoking room---instead of non-smoking as requested months earlier.

The rooms have not changed...but they also have not been cleaned properly. Makes you want to wear your flip-flops in the shower and socks when walking on the carpet. Wondering, are the sheets and towels clean? When there are obvious signs of cleanliness neglect, as the mold growing in the shower and the dirt buildup in the corners of the bathroom, you wonder about the things you cannot see with the naked eye!

The Club Room used to be top notch from a service standpoint with English-speaking staff who could help you with anything from a restaurant recommendation to a problem with your computer to sending a DHL package. This trip, nobody spoke or understood English beyond yes, no, thank you and come again. What are you paying for if you stay on this floor?

The restaurant is closed for renovation...too bad for us, but I wish they had told us at the time of booking. The impact of this is that the buffet breakfast--paid for along with the room rate--was mediocre at best, and the evening cocktail hour in the club room that used to be lovely hot appetizers and a full bar is now a left over dried up cheese plate, peanuts and stale potato chips with mostly-empty bottles of liquor, and 3 guys standing around the ash tray at the elevator bank smoking up a storm. Yuck.

This is my last visit to this hotel. Don't know what happened, but hope the owner gets things back on track.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pat B
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear IncredibleAsia,

Greeting from Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing!

Thank you so much for showing us this precious opportunity of serving you again since the Octomber, last year. We feel extremly distressed and grieved to hear about your disappointment and complaints about the latest stay experience at our hotel which should be better and more memorable. Your feedback and comments are highly valued by the hotel management and have been shared to related departments for immediate amendment and improvement.
We am certainly to make improvement in the fields that you mentioned from our breakfast qualtiy and guest room cleanliness to doorman, FO staff and Executive Club floor service quality etc. All in all, we will make every effort to ensure that you are provided with a customer-centered service by our well-trained and enthusiastic staff next time.
We hope this would not deter you from choosing Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back toour hotel again. Thank you!

Hannibal, Missouri
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel numerous time in my travel to Beijing. I'm a Priority Club member thus I prefer staying at IHG hotels. Used to be this hotel was clean and good place to stay.
During my stay in Sept 2013 (6 days), the room I had had a wet portion of the carpet by the dorr to the bathroom. I thought that eventually it will dry out but I guess that was a typical problem for this room. The service people just lay towel over it.
I always request for non smoking room. My last stay, I was in the 10th floor. Some people will hang out by the chair by the elevator and smoke. The ventillation is not good so the rooms will start smelling smoke. I have to notify the fron desk on this.
For the fitness center, I can't understand why there are no cold bottled water available for people working out. They have all this bottled water at the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Swimcoach1030
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Swimcoach1030,

Greeting from Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing!

It is our great pleasure and honor to welcome you back to our hotel for many times. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience our service may have caused you. Your comments about the wet portion of the carpet has been documented and will certainly be looked into. Also, your suggestion about preparing cold bottled water at fitness center for people working out there is a very good advice for us. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here as part of China tour organized by Cruise1st UK. Check in was very smooth and I was upgraded to a room on the Business Floor when I mentioned that I was a IHG Priority Club member. Others less fortunate travelers in my group had to wait for their rooms to be cleaned and become available. Had lunch there twice - very good value for money. Chef was very attentive - often leaving the kitchen to talk to us at our table. Dinner on our last day was a bit of a let down as they were overwhelmed by the number of guests wanting to dine in as a result of late return from day tour.

I accidently left my suite, jacket and shirts behind when checking out. Called hotel's Victoria Li from cruise ship and found her very helpful and responsive. She agreed to hold my belongings until after the cruise. A day prior to my ship arriving in Tianjin, I rang and asked for Victoria but she was not on duty but Daisy Shi was equally helpful. She coordinated with the agent responsible for port-to-airport transfer to pick up my stuff from the hotel, and personally delivered it to me at the port. A very commendable and praiseworthy act indeed.

Thank you Victoria and Daisy from the bottom of my heart for their cooperation and professionalism.

Room 1326

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear OzMaidencruiser,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing. We are very glad to know that our staff and service helped in finding your stuff and returning it to you personally, which made your visit enjoyable and memorable. Meanwhile, being a Priority Club member, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Being our valued guest, your opinion and feedback is extremely important to us, as it will help us to further enhance and shape our service in delivering a truly memorable and authentic experience to our members.

Thank you again for your feedback and support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thankyou!

Harare
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in Aug 2013 as a family in inter- connecting rooms. The hotel has good facilities but the location is not good. The breakfast was good with a variety of food. The service was good and most of the staff could speak English.The staff was very helpful.We could not find other restaurants nearby except KFC which is a bit far.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear muza s,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing. We are very glad to know that our staff and service helped in making your visit enjoyable. Meanwhile, we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.
Thank you again for your feedback and support and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thankyou!