“Excellent stay in a hard to find place”

Holiday Inn Central Plaza
Ranked #88 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
New Brighton, Minnesota
“Excellent stay in a hard to find place”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had a very nice stay at this hotel, although it was a bit difficult to find for the Taxi drivers. They weren't familiar with the location.

I arrived at 9:30 at Beijing and managed to catch the airport express and the subway to the proper station to get off at. Once there, I tried to hire a taxi/cab to find the place. The taxi driver wasn't sure where it was so we drove slowly and looked around. Luckily, I had a map. I recommend a big map in Chinese with a big star if you're going.

The hotel itself was impressive. Very clean, very well kept. Being IHG Platinum, they had me go to the top since they'd had everything arranged already. This was very nice. There was a plate of fruit in the room waiting for me with a handwritten welcome. However, I was starving, so ordered room service. The food arrived quickly and was very tasty, albeit more expensive than what you'd expect in China.

The room was comfortable, beds were nice, good shower and washing facilities. No complaints.

Breakfast was excellent. Definitely recommend the breakfast at the Salt and Pepper restaurant over the lounge area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank shuom
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear shuom,

Thank for so much for choosing the Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing during your stay at Beijing. We are so delighted to find that the hotel left a good impression on you by means of its facilities, sanitation, operation, and room service. With regard to the benefit of being IHG Platinum members, it is our pleasure to upgrade room for you when it is available and to prepare a handwritten welcome letter for our dear guest.

Besides, we feel sorry about taking your time to get to our hotel from the airport. The hotel is located at the intersection with Nanxiange Street, Guanganmen, Xicheng District. If the taxi driver is not clear about the hotel address, you could contact with our Concierge to acquire correct address and driving directions through dialing 86-10-83970088. Other, you could just show Chinese taxi driver the following address in Chinese(机场高速行至东四环-南二环-西二环白纸坊桥出口,右转向东行至菜园街路口(右转后第二个红绿灯),左转向北500米). I am sure that you can arrive at the Holiday Inn Central Plaza easily with this Chinese address.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We wanted to stay at a hotel where we knew we could just relax and not worry about anything after having been out wandering the streets of Beijing all day.
It was clean, the room was decently big, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would say the only downside is that it is a little ways away from the main tourist attractions and while the metro is super cheap, there isn't a stop nearby. Sill, taxis weren't very expensive although they were often hard to catch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear iluv2pla10is,

Great to hear your voice about our hotel here! We would feel proud of ourselves when knowing that you felt relaxed and comfortable staying at our hotel. It is our great pleasure to get your satisfaction with our hotel in the areas, such as favorable sanitation, good room performance as well as the sensitivity and helpfulness of our staff to your needs.

On the other side, we feel sorry about our not-so-convenient geographic location. As a matter of fact, it is only about 10-minites drive from the hotel to Line2 or Line4 Subway Station by which you could nearly get to all the main tourist attractions in Beijing. For your information, you could get free map of Beijing from the Concierge at the left hand of main door. Besides, to save your time, our doorman could help to find a taxi for you before your leaving.

Thank you so much for your stay at our hotel and wish you back to our hotel soon!
Boston Ma
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while touring Beijing. It was a very nice hotel; very clean, large rooms and comfortable beds. The bathroom had nice towels, and they also gave you tooth brushes, toothpaste, razors and shaving cream, along with the normal shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. The staff was very helpful with transportation information and there is a currency exchange machine in the lobby, and our rate included a free breakfast buffet, which was great. Although the hotel is a bit out of the way of the tourist areas, we used taxis, the buses, and the subway to get around. Because of the Beijing traffic, it took a long time to get places by bus or taxi, but I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Perth australia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Is was a good place to stay with good staff and comfortable bed and lots of hot water. The staff were very good and there is a currency exchange machine in the lobby. Breakfast was also good. While it is a little out of the main tourist area, we found no major problems getting around. The best way is to use the Metro. This cost only 2 Yuan and that will take you most places. The only down side to the hotel is that it is a good 25 minute walk to the Metro. However you can get a taxi to the Metro and then go from there. It is about 15 Minutes into Tiananmen Square. Getting a Taxi back can be a bit of a problem as the taxi drivers will try to scam you and tell you they won't use the meter. Keep trying till you find one who will. The scam will cost three times the proper price. A very good place to eat about 50 Meters to the right of the hotel is called The Youth Restaurant. Good food and service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Spent several days here while taking a tour. Definately not what you think of when you think Holiday Inn. Was the nicest Holiday Inn I ever stayed in. Rooms were large and comfortable. Breakfast Buffet was good. Only draw back was the location. If you are a tourist, due to Beijing traffic, it takes you forever to get anywhere. If location is not your most important factor, this is a great hotel, and worth consideration. Staff is warm, friendly, and speak english fairly well. All in all we had a great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have just finished a stay here and apart from one incident, I had a great time. I got bit in my room by something and had problems with my leg. I told one of the girls and they offered to move me to another room. I had to wait but as the hotel was full. Which was fine, the staff did all they could for me. The hotel paid my medical fees for creams etc and gave my stay from free.

The hotel is very good at making guests feel at home I stay there every month or so, the food is great, the staff very friendly, the Executive lounge is good and the girls always happy and helpful, Big thank you to Cindy, Victoria, Christina, Alice, Coco and Teresa, Catherine in Salt & Pepper, Tiffany and the guys in the Gym, Bessie on 15th floor and Storm. Also Bob front desk manager, who checked on my leg every day. Although the bit caused me problems the hotel was very understanding and helpful, it only happened to me, nobody else was bitten. The hotel got the room sorted that day, just one of those things. I am going back to the hotel later this month. I will only stay at this Holiday Inn and won’t travel to Beijing if it’s full, I’ll just delay my trip. I cant recommend this hotel or staff highly enough, give it a try, you will come back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I booked the Holiday Inn due to its proximity to the South Beijing Railway station. The location is a little strange but getting past that the convenience factor paid dividends for me.
I stayed in a King bed Suite which was nice but not what I would call opulent. The suite had separate lounge and bedroom with an ensuite off the bedroom and a bathroom located in the entry hall for guests. The level of cleanliness of the suite was not great. There were dirty marks on the wall in the ensuite, mould in the tiling near the shower and whilst I found a pair of hotel scuffs behind the door separating the bedroom from the lounge area within hours of commencing my stay, housekeeping didn’t find them for the entire time of my three day stay. This provides an ideal illustration of the lack of high end that the Holiday Inn fails to deliver.

On one occasion I headed to the fitness centre at 5:30am to find it unmanned even though the opening time was 5:30am. I turned on the lights, started the aircon and went about my workout for 20 minutes before an employee walked through the doors. The fitness centre was quite well kitted out and spacious. There was a good sized pool and change rooms adjoining the fitness centre.

I needed to check out early on the day of departure and as the restaurant didn’t open until 6:30am I ordered breakfast in the room to be delivered between 6:00 and 6:15. It arrived at 6:20 which was fine but I didnt realize until I started that it was not my order. Not having time to contact room service to change the breakfast I ate it in desperation. Apologies for the guest who missed out on their breakfast order.

All in all, the hotel was okay, but missed the target on small items that matter. I would question if this was a 5 star hotel, I would think a 4 star would be more appropriate.

What I liked:
Great, comfortable bed
Easy internet connection
Concierge was brilliant

What I disliked:
Curtains that do not totally block out light – they ended up short above the windowsill
Fitness attendants and housekeeping require more supervision

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Leave_the_house
Dear Leave_the_house

Firstly, please allow our sincere apologies for that we failed to achieve your expectation in some areas, like cleanliness and room service.

Built up in 2004, the Holiday Inn Central Plaza has witnessed a history of more than 8 years. We have been trying to keep all the facilities in a good condition. In order to bring a pleasant living environment to our guests, renovations of guest rooms and public areas are carried out.

All in all, we feel so sorry about our negligence when serving you and will take your comments into serious consideration for the improvement of our services.

We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future and provide you with a good experience.