“SD card bought was fake”

Pearl Market (Hongqiao Market)
Book In Advance
More Info
$79.00*
and up
Beijing Tour: the Forbidden City, Hongqiao Market, Acrobatic Show and Gourmet...
Ranked #41 of 1,605 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: This is Beijing’s largest and most popular market for pearl jewelry (notably freshwater pearls), clothing and luggage.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“SD card bought was fake”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Bought a Sandisk 32GB SD card for 45RM after some negotiating.
Tested the card in my laptop before buying. Speed and capacity looked ok.
Turned out that only the first 100mb returned correct data upon reading.
All data written to the card after the first 100mb comes back unreadable and corrupted.

Also watch out on the money you get back, they tried to give us useless belarus money back

2 Thank Henk188590

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Fun but pushy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We visited the pearl market and had quite a fun experience. The first few levels sell bags, electronics, etc and the sellers are very pushy and touch and grab you. The next few levels are where the pearls are the higher you go up, the more expensive the pearls. The first placed we looked at tried to sell us fake pearls and it was lucky we knew what to look for. It is best to do your homework before you go. The good quality and real pearls were nice but not actually that cheap. Quite a fun place overall.

4 Thank Tash28
Vancouver, Canada
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Better than Silk Market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Although we enjoyed the Silk Market, we liked the Pearl Market better. I guess we prefer the rows and rows of tables of the same things with the aggressive, yet friendly vendors haggling with you, calling you 'names' if you're too cheap (how we howled at this) and the bargain prices! it's more the fun of the negotiations we enjoyed more than anything else. We'd negotiate, get our price, and end up giving them more (if we liked them)... just because.

This is nothing like we've ever experienced before and we savored every minute of it. It's nothing like the malls and shops here in Canada.

It was fun and if you can't take all the 'back and forth', then you should go to the big stores on Waifujung and pay the expensive prices without the haggling.

Visited December 2012
Elgin, Illinois
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Chaotic capitalism - a must do for shopping”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Whenever I go to the Pearl Market (Hongqiao), I take a deep breath and accept the vendors will be very aggressive. I smile and say no thank you and if something catches my eye, I pretend I am playing a game of negotiation. They will start astronomically high and you have to say earthly low ... usually you get what you want by walking away. I find this an excellent place for pearls and jewerly beads as well as already made pearl jewelry. The knock off bags are pretty good quality. I don't buy electronics since I have had poor experiences in the past buying electronics from China (not UL etc.). Good place to buy souvenirs if you need to - the engraved stamp is always nice. 1st floor is electronics, 2nd is bags and clothes, 3rd is pearls and 4th are pearl stores.

3 Thank DonJefe18
Seattle, Washington
375 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 424 helpful votes
“best, lowest prices for fresh water pearls.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've traveled extensively around the world and this market has the best prices for fresh water pearls if you are good at bargaining. Like most markets in China, they try and rip you off but if you know your pearls and can haggle you can get a great deal. I bought a 16" black round pearl necklace, and two sets of their largest pearl earrings (white and maroon) for 180¥ (~28USD). If you buy more you can get better discounts. I was also fortunate to be there right before Christmas where there were no tourist so they were more willing to haggle. The third floor was pearls, the bottom two floors are electronics, purses, scarves, etc and they are VERY aggressive, to the point of grabbing you and blocking your path, yelling at you ("you buy?", "you want wallet?" (while shoving it in your face)). While I don't understand how this is a successful marketing scheme (it must be cause they keep doing it), be prepared for it. I didn't buy anything even though I wanted to because they don't give you a chance to look, just yell and shove things in your face. If you want to buy these type of things, I'd recommend going to the Hong Kong's night market or ladies market instead, you get the same things for the same prices (again by haggling) but they let you shop in peace.

Visited December 2012