Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$201
Prime Hotel(Beijing)
$120
$94
Agoda.com
All reviewssmall hotelboutique hotelforbidden citynoisy neighboursrooftop terracedongsi stationshower waterhotel doorquiet hutongwalking distanceconvenient locationcomfortable roomstaxi driverenglishalleywaywallconvenience
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed for 4 days there and it was an excellent experience! The room was clean and big, the design is simple but decent in old Beijing style, the roof was very high which make you feel comfortable and relaxed. The location is perfect that you can walk to the forbidden city by foot, takes like 25 mins, and it's in a traditional hutong where the local Beijing citizen living there! It's quiet, at the same time convenience, there are buses and subway station near by. Breakfast are basic but good, they have western style and Chinese style, you just need to tell them what you like.

Staff are friendly and helpful, this is not a 5 stars hotel that you can get everything immediately, but like a small but cozy cafe that you really build up friendship with them and they would like to help you whenever you need, they simply warm your heart. And don't forget the cat they have, although they claimed that the white cat is not belonged to them but they feed her everyday and she comes everyday, obviously she joined their family already, she is such a cutie and would melt your heart, you can see her lying in the lobby and stretching her legs comfortably every morning :D

We really enjoyed it, thank you so much.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Becky T
NickHuang, 总经理 at Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2017

Thank you for taking your time to write comment about 161 hotel on TripAdvisor.

Your suggestions and comments are our motive forces,I'll share your comment with all the staff of 161 hotels to let everyone share this joy.

All the 161 hotels persevere in following the local inhabitants' traditional housing structures,provide every guest the traditional Beijing courtyard environments and experience the local Beijing life.

At the same time there are 7 different branches of 161 hotels in Beijing,we hope you'll be able to try different styles of courtyard next time during your stay in Beijing.

All the staff members and I welcome and looking forward to your next visit and stay with us again.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We decided to stay in a traditional hotel on our last stop of our Asia trip. The hotel is very small hotel - which can be positive or negative. Positive for intimacy, negative for general space and things to do. The room in which we stayed was tiny. I think in the summer when you spend more time outside this would be no issue, but it was December - and very cold. The hotel itself is cute, nicely decorated but nothing fancy - its more of a bed and breakfast rather than a full hotel. I would give the service 5 stars: specially Orange at the reception counter (very friendly and smiley) and housekeeping (spotless clean hotel), but in general I'd give it a 3.5 for the room size and amenities.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank londonflower74

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed from Dec 30, 2013 - Jan 7th, 2014. What a lovely first time experience! A small nine-room boutique hotel that's located in the heart of Beijing (Dongsi Street underground station is a 5-7 min walk away) and also close by Wangfujing shopping strip, plus easily accessible to all the tourist spots in Beijing (Tienanmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Jingshang Park) and also local sreet favourite Nanluoguoxiang. Hotel staff are very friendly - Alex, Orange & Vicky - the ladies manning the front desk were always so helpful in providing assistance and helped to preapre my breakfast every morning. The room I stayed in (see pictures) was cosy and warm despite the winter weather outside. Underfloor heating kept the room warm. Simple yet practical amenities offered. Location of hotel is perfect for touring around Beijing if you are a first time traveller. The charm of HuLu is that it is uniquely traditional as its located in a local hutong. One can get the feel of the local vibes and also experience local culture and cuisine in the surrounding area. Since the hotel is located near the main thoroughfare of Dongsi Street, getting things is quite easy as there are shops, convenience stores, etc located along the main road. FYI, travelling by metro underground is the cheapest and easiest way to get around Beijing. Signs are in Mandarin and English. Any negatives? Perhaps its own location map in relation to all the sights in Beijing (this is only a small issue).

Room Tip: Request for room with shower only if you do not like getting in and out of bath tubs.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank AlCk21

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is a fantastic hotel in a traditional Hutong courtyard and very near a subway station. One can also walk to some of the major attractions such as the Forbidden City. We stayed there for an entire week and it was absolutely perfect. The Hulu team is very helpful and kind and indeed make one feel at home. The rooms are comfortable and very well prepared for the winter (we went in January) with floor heating and an additional support heating for the very cold days. The bathrooms are modern and clean. The decoration is simple but in great taste, and one is relaxed after a day of visual over stimulation. Finally the rooms have an incredible amount of films in almost every language and TV series. We will go back there any time!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SENSusana

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed in Hulu Hotel for one night, and I wish I could have stayed longer! I knew I wanted to stay in a nice hotel for my last night in Beijing, just so I could relax by myself, and I sure was treated well! I jokingly put on the request form while booking that I would love a bag of M&M's on arrival, and on the night of arriving, there they were! Then while I was signing in, they had a cat just relaxing in the sun, having what seemed like the time of his life, which was exactly like my experience there. They feed you some pretty legit breakfast too! (refer to photo) They also had a fuzzy TV signal, so they gave me free access to bucket loads of movies and TV series.

Hulu is basically a good quality Chinese-inspired hotel, with a very nice ambiance.

Also, they're just generally nice people.This was because, I was leaving from the hotel to the airport after I checked out, and I'd only flown international once (on the way to China), so I didn't fully understand the checking in time frame. Basically, by the time I left the hotel, I was stressing and not sure if I'd make it. They offered me some lunch to take away, call a taxi, and told me the quickest route to get to the subway to the airport. Also an affirming 'you'll make it', which really helps in those situations.

So cheers Hulu! I will definitely come back to you if I go to Beijing again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo