“Great slice of tranquility in PEK”

Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard
Ranked #85 of 6,556 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Hulu Hotel for three nights, and I was thoroughly impressed with everything: the ambiance, the service, the room, the shower. It was a great place to end my 2 weeks in China. The employees working the front desk were always cheerful and quick to assist with anything, including call me a cab for the airport.

It is worth noting that taxi drivers have a hard time finding the hotel, even when I showed them the address in Chinese characters. This is a newer hotel that is in a narrow hutong, though, so I wasn't surprised when taxis didn't know of it. You can always tell the driver to go to the Regent Hotel and walk the 200 meters to the Hulu.

For a small hotel with courteous service in a relaxing and simple environment, I highly recommend the Hulu.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jjthesenga
TheHuLuHotel, 总经理 at Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2017

Dear jjthesenga,

On behalf of the staff at 161 Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard Hotel, I would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent visit in Beijing and to also express my sincere appreciation for sharing your experience on Trip-Advisor.we glad to help you for your trouble.

I am so pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and expecting you return to Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courytard Hotel .when you next come to Beijing.
In order to offer you with more efficient and personal assistance, please do contact with me at Andy-Qi@joy-realm.com.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Thanks to the Hulu hotel team,
the place is comfy, the Hutong is lovely, staff is nice,
it is a perfect place to stay when you visit Beijing, after heavy walking day, you can relax, and feel like home.

I'll come again to this pace when m back to Beijing, definitely.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
TheHuLuHotel, 总经理 at Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Dear Guillaume M,

Reviewed October 19, 2013

What a lovely courtyard in great location, once a arrive with the long fight, the garden is a prefectly welcoming and warm feeling with helpful staffs, they help us to arrange the trip to the great wall and good resturants around the area, and actually we walked to the food street in wongfujing and the tiananmen square, it is an interesting way to visit the center of beijing. The shower is great and bathroom is clean. And the bed is super, very good sleep.

Room Tip: every room is awesome
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cherry891109

Dear cherry,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in this small hotel to avoid the larger commercial chains, and we had a great experience. The hotel is clean, nicely decorated, comfortable, and private. The receptionists were extremely helpful and friendly, and spoke very good English.
Location-wise, this is a great spot. We walked to Tienanmen and Forbidden City, as well as the famous snack street. The metro is just across the closest street. The only time we had trouble was trying to flag down a taxi during rush hour.
The little alleyway, or hutong, where you can find the hotel is too small for cars to use, but the main road is nearby. We had a great time strolling through the hutongs and buying chicken skewers from street vendors.
Breakfast was a pleasant surprise, as were the comfortable beds and pillows. I've never had better in China, even in the much more expensive hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MissMegHK

Dear MissMegHK,

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Fantastic place to stay in Beijing. Very clean, cozy beds, accommodating staff. The breakfast is very basic and the walls are a bit thin so you can hear people outside talk but i would definitely stay here again. The staff speak English and it is also walking distance to the metro station. Just make sure you ask one of the staff to give you the code to open the main door when you arrive.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Geotravel F
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

One of the most comfortable beds and pillows I've had in a hotel! These guys do not have the mattress that creates a sinkhole everytime you lie down, which I've experienced across China. They also provide ample supply of pillows and have the longest bath towels I've encountered. Also, the only place I know that uses Sensodyne as the free toothpaste. Plus points on that, and the subtitle function on their TV!
Staff spoke good English and were very helpful. They even allowed us to check out very late.
Another bonus is the location. Apart from being a few meters walk from the main road and two subway stations, Hulu is in one of the CLEANER and better hutongs I've seen around Beijing.
Drawback though is there's no breakfast menu. They only serve continental breakfast, which was good but would like it if there were other options.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank darylrose_c
The HuLu Tea m, Owner at Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Rose,
Thank you for choosing us,we are very pleased to tell you that we offer daily buffet breakfast now. Thank you for all your feedbacks,it really means a lot to us.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Before I left to Beijing, one of my friends helped me to reserve this Hotel. The hotel's location is very convenient, close to Wangfujing, the Forbidden City, and Tian'anmen square. Unlike other big hotels, this one is in the alley, and once I get in, all these structures caught my eyes. The amazing views make me feel like i'm in a different world. when I waked up in the morning, sitting in the patio, with beautiful sunshine and landscaping, I felt so relaxing, and forgot everything about US. First day in HuLu, I fell in love with Beijing already. overall, another happy trip :) I don't like big hotels filling with crowds, Hulu makes me feel like home, highly recommended to everyone!

Room Tip: with their awesome customer services, just let them know your preference, and they will try their be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo