“Amazing”

Ranked #14 of 1,616 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A series of beautiful pavilions comprise this Mongolian-Tibetan yellow-sect temple, which features an impressive fifty-four-foot high Buddha carved from one piece of Tibetan sandalwood.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was the only temple we visited during our visit to Beijing, so I can't speak of the others, but this one was definitely worth the visit. The 18 meter high Buddha is really amazing!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,482)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This Temple is truly beautiful, and fascinating if you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism. Unlike the Temple of Heaven it is a fully functioning temple and is staffed by Buddhist monks. There was nothing to dislike about this temple, we really enjoyed our visit.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Lama temple is most likely one of my favorite temples ever visited. The sense of incense and the monks walking around gives you a real spiritual experience. Close urself down and get lost in the moment.

It might not be peaceful and quiet but if you close ur eyes you can find ur own way of closing of the world and feel a bit closer to what many have come for to pray and worship.

The colorfull temple buildings and great buzz that is around the temple makes it so unique. You want to keep taking mind pictures and recall each sense and smell over and over again. A glimps inside the Monks residence area, even though not allowed, gives a true feeling of commitment to a higher power.

No matter which religion you are born and raised with, the Lama temple should be on your list of destinations when visiting Beijing. It will leave a great impression and maybe it will allow Buddha to enter your life one day as well...

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We visited just before the Chinese New Year and we were greeted with lots of locals burning big bunches of beautiful incense and a mature monk chanting in the final temple. It was a sensational experience in the true sense of the word, the sights, smells, sounds all made for a magical visit. Don't miss this temple if you enjoy Buddhist temples with marvellous buildings and decorations.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The temple is beautifully constructed, and quite large- there are multiple courtyards and lots of buildings that you can go into. Each building has plaques with a small blurb in multiple languages explaining what it was used for, which I thought was a huge plus since I like to know what I'm looking at. There are also some display rooms with artifacts from the temple that you can look at. There are lots of people burning incense and praying. I don't know much about incense, but it was interesting to smell the different types of incense in different rooms.
In total it took me around an hour. Transportation-wise, it was a short walk from the subway station, which itself was harder to get to than I expected. It is very close to the Confucius Temple, so I did them together.
This isn't the temple's fault, but I visited Beijing when the air quality was very bad, and unfortunately it cast a bit of a shadow on my visit to the Lama Temple. It would have been atmospheric if it were fog, but instead it was just kind of sad to know that the temple was sitting in a cloud of smog.