“Impressive”

Tiananmen Square (Tiananmen Guangchang)
Book In Advance
$43.00*
and up
Full Day Coach Tour: Forbidden City And Tiananmen Visiting Plus Temple Of Heaven
$95.00*
and up
Quality Coach Day Tour to Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City plus Badaling...
$119.00*
Small-Group Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and Summer Palace Tour with Lunch
Ranked #27 of 1,612 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located in the heart of modern China and the site for massive parades and rallies, this was the site when in 1949, from a rostrum on the Gate of Heavenly Peace, Chairman Mao announced the establishment of the People's Republic of China.
Reviewed November 19, 2012

When we first arrived in Beijing, security prevented us from going onto Tiananmen Square. We were delayed by two days. I thought I wouldnt mind if I missed it. I was wrong. It is very impressive as the largest square in the world. I was shocked by the two massive LED panels in the middle of the square. Our guide provided excellent historic perspective which added significantly to the experience.

There are newer reviews for Tiananmen Square (Tiananmen Guangchang)

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

You can't say you've been to Beijing if you haven't visited the Square.

Nice picture opportunities and well worth a visit. You can almost "feel" the history in this place, so take your time taking a slow walk around the place.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Lots of police, listening devices, cameras - you will feel intimidated if you let yourself take a close look. It's still worth a stop and is hard to miss anyway given its location in the heart of Beijing and the entrance to the Forbidden City. It's essentially just a big square with a portait of Mao at the north end and monuments to the people of China and veterans in the middle. It's big, but it's concrete - totally open. No trees - solid grey.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

you pretty much have to visit to say you did. You can get great pictures of all the famous buildings surrounding the square, such as the Forbidden City, with you in the foreground. The locals will enjoy taking pictures of you and with you as well. There aren't really any bathrooms, though, and there are occasionally little food trucks selling snacks and drinks, but the bottom line is, it's a big square so there's not much actually there to do once you're done with your pictures. Also note, I've seen lots of things in the reviews about the security process, which I guess could be bad if it was really crowded, which it probably is a lot of the time. But it was cold and not really crowded when we went, and we breezed through security without any real attention paid to us (myself and my wife who are two very tall white people from America.)

Another important note - when the Chinese Parliament is in session they sometimes close the Square to the public; this happens at other times too when there are other events going on there. So if the Square is near the top of your list of important attractions, try not to book a trip during March when Parliament is in session, and/or keep your eye on the internet to make sure there will be a high likelihood that you'll get in. No way to guarantee entry though, of course...

So go in, take your pictures, mingle with the locals a bit, and plan on heading to the Forbidden City afterwards. And you'll be well on your way to having done Beijing.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Being in Tiananmen Square was one of the more nervy episodes of my tour of China. We were not allowed to take pictures of any military, police or government personnel and were warned that if we were seen pointing a lense in their direction, our cameras or SD cards would be taken and erased or even destroyed.

We were also advised not to protest or even to 'look like' we were going to protest as this would result in immediate arrest and most likely prosecution. There are numerous cameras placed everywhere to spot offenders, which put me on edge but if I'm honest was a little exciting (danger!).

It was worth it to stand briefly in a very historic spot - if you don't know about Tiananmen Square, google it first and you'll see why this large, concrete square is worth a visit. It may look sterile, however it is anything but.