“Great Location, Good quality” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Beijing Minzu Hotel
Ranked #407 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Location, Good quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed in a 10th floor room for 10 days. This was one of the higher level rooms with private check in service on the 9th floor. Hotel fronts on Chang'an Avenue, the main ave that runs east-west in front of The Forbidden City. We opted for a room that faced away from the avenue and found the room very quiet. Closest subway is Xidan (about a 5 minute walk). I found that the buses were the best option.

Quality of room was similar to a Hyatt. We had a king platform foam mattress bed. Bed was very comfortable. Room had a refrigerator, safe, and was stocked with bottled water and fruit each day (free). Room also had a minibar. There were two robes and two slippers for our use. Hair dryer, shampoo, etc were also in the room. Room also had a day bed. The room only had 2 draws which made organized unpacking difficult. Room had good air conditioning that was quiet. Bath room had both a tub and separate shower.

The room had wired broadband internet (no wifi) for free. I brought a portable wifi hotspot device that could be plugged into the connection and gave me an Internet connection on my cellphone. You will not be able to access Facebook, Twitter or Google, including Gmail.

There were only 3 accessible outlets in the room, which made charging multiple cellphones difficult. The outlet in the bathroom did not work. In case you don’t know, most chargers will work on 220 (Chinese power standard) and 110 (US standard) without a converter. The hotel outlets accommodated 2 prong US style plugs. Room uses a smart card key to open the door and to activate all power in the room. When you enter the room, you insert the card in a slot and all electric power in the room becomes active.

We found the room clean and well maintained. Maid service was prompt. I suspect that the card key system signals maid when the room is empty. Other reviews mention the “adult entertainment” cards that get slipped under the door each day. This does happen, however the pictures are discreet. I’d rather have this than have them slapped in my face like Las Vegas. Only English TV channels are CCTV4, CNN international, HBO, Showtime and ESPN. All seem to be versions designed for Chinese market.

Room included one breakfast and afternoon tea. It costs 70RMB for a second breakfast. Hotel has at least 2 restaurants, but you can find better and more reasonable priced restaurants if you walk to the street behind the hotel. One with the English phrase “Hot and Tasty” was a very good one. The crab dish was delicious. Further down the road are many more restaurants.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Pick a room that faces away from Chang'an Avenue and opt for the private checkin rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Code39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Padua, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I went with my husband in this very pleasant hotel. very kind all maids and receptionists, we have a lovely suite. the bathroom was very large and we have drinking water to wash (!). at the first floor there were a lot of good restaurants, we tryed the classical chinese, anc I can say we never eat so much and so good! in the hall was possible to rent bicicles to go around beijng and the officers were very kind to explain with a map the interesting points. if you need a taxi they call it for you and explain where you want to go. moverover they organize interesting trips to Great wall and ming tombs ( 2 different) every week...it is few steps from the forbidden city and commercil quartier ( try it, itis very funny!) and on the day of my birthday they left a bunch of flowers and a basket of fruits with compliments on our room. very very pleasant!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed at this hotel closed to seven times in the past 10 years when I visit Beijing. The most recent stay was three nights in early June 2011.

This hotel was a popular choice when Chinese officials host overseas guests. It could have been state-own in the past, thus the counter service reflects relatively of that level, the service standard is at time rude, even to the staff of the host organisation that did the booking. It is typical and do not expect drastic improvement. To me a decade has passed and the service standard remains relatively unchanged. Fortunately too, is that tipping is not expected.

I observed that the hotel is ageing and although it is building a new wing, not sure how existing rooms would be make new. The rooms are quite spacey, probably because it was built in the 70s and space was not an issue, ceiling was relatively tall, although lighting is generally not satisfactory for reading and working. During my last three stays, I also noticed that security of the hotel has dropped a little, allowing "special service" cards with images of western ladies to be pushed through the door. But good thing is that there was no knocking on the door yet.

There are several plus points of staying this hotel: the breakfast is quite good in terms of selection of both Chinese and Western dishes, including fruits. In fact, guests could pick up fresh fruits (usually apples, pears and peaches) outside the lift area for the floor they stayed - but that also depends on one's luck (and timing).

The other major plus point of this hotel is its location to Xidan shopping area; a major bookstore (XinHua); a small hutung residential area (just opposite the hotel) and it is almost next to a underground station that connect you to different part of the city and places of attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road offer good view of the city, esp those higher up (10th floor and above)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PKWSingapore
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night for business. Upon check-in I was asked to check in on level 9 (if I remember correctly) which looked like an upgrade of some sort. At check in, the receptionist had really bad attitude, basically made my colleague look stupid.

Went into the room which looked nicely done up. A few minutes later as I was getting comfortable, someone slipped a business card down my room door - it was an invitation to 'extra services' for men. I went to the bathroom to find a bin for the card, only to find other adult 'accessories' readily displayed for sale. The room was comfortable enough, good-sized, and clean. The sleep was good except for the occasional noise from outside, obviously from people who had too much to drink.

Met my colleague for breakfast the next morning, and she also had the business card under her door. She went down for something to eat the night before and she saw some women who did not look like they belong there, and some vomit on the floor.

Seriously, this is a hotel that is only suitable for single men who are out there to look for fun. Don't bring your family or kids there.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Pandai
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

30 days in Beijing! This was a great location and hotel. Full Chinese and Western buffet breakfast included, deluxe western room and a super location. Most everything is in within walking distance, the Forbidden Place and all the main attractions. Hotel staff was excellent and we never had a single problem. Many places to eat and all were great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank TheGreatBunndini
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

I stayed here for 12 nights at the beginning of December 2008. I had an 'executive' room - as did a colleague who was with me.

My colleague's first room was far too warm and the air-con was switched off so it was only blowing warm air. As such, he had to change rooms. Mine was okay. Both of our toilets got blocked during our stay, which was somewhat disconcerting! In both cases the maintenance people sorted the problem very quickly.

The staff were outstanding - very helpful and pleasant.

Would I stay there again? No, there are nicer places in Beijing where I'll stay next time.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SteveRoberts
Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2007

First of all, I paid US$86 per night (Y668) for a really fine, recently renovated room. That seems a little low, and I don't know whether that is because there was renovation in progress on my floor which produced low levels of noise, or because I got a discount for booking on line. One night from midnight to 5 a.m., the water was turned off, but it didn't affect me. I had a standard room which faced inward to the central area--no view, but I could see the sky. It seems to me that the renovation of this hotel, a problem for previous reviewers, is approaching completion; the hotel is just 11 stories tall, I counted.
My purpose was to see how the people in Beijing lived, what the city was, rather than to visit tourist sites. I thought the location was fine for that, near a convenience store and small shopping area, near two wonderful restaurants discussed in another review (which helped me a lot), near department stores and a big beautiful book store, and there were plenty hutongs (old fashioned neighborhoods where plain people live with narrow streets and street markets). To see all this, I did a lot of walking, which was my intention. I was often in crowds, and saw few if any other tourists. Hotel Minzu served my purpose very well.
I was impressed with my room. First of all, the entry and bathroom floors were made of two different kinds of real marble. The bathroom walls were fake marble up to the ceiling. The bathroom plumbing was modern and sharp. The beds seems slightly softer than Beijing standard hard, and each had two big pillows. The dark woods were also nice; the room was sharp in its design. The desk lamp and TV set were of high quality. Each day two small bottles of bottled water appeared; I needed more, so I bought some 1.5L bottles of water which I kept in my refrigerator.
The staff downstairs were very helpful, although I had a miscommunication with my check-in fellow who signed me up for one fewer night than I had intended. This required a separate trip downstairs with a second showing of my passport when I found myself locked out of my room. They sold me stamps to stick on my many postcards. The Minzu seemed to me to be a first-class hotel.

• Liked — not in a tourist district
  • Disliked — There were cockroaches in my room, perhaps because of the renovation going on on my floor.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo