“poor maintinence & cleanliness”
Review of Lusongyuan Hotel

Lusongyuan Hotel
Ranked #123 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
toronto
“poor maintinence & cleanliness”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The decor has an "old chinese" feel , down to the badly stained carpet. But the location is good.

It is pleasant to have breakfast in the courtyard when the weather is nice.

But we had to contend with leaking pipe that floods the bathroom floor for the 2 days that we stayed there.. The solution of the the management to to offer us a towel to redirect the
flow of water!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank boshim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My wife and I along with another couple stayed hered for 4 nights in May. This was our 2nd stay at Lusongyuan Hotel and quite content with location. Located down a quiet hutong alley; it is a 5 minute walk to a main thoroughfare where there are lots of activities, shopping and restaurants within other hutong lanes. Rooms are decorated in traditional furnishings and beds are fairly comfortable. We did note the property overall is a bit run down i.e. there was skimpy tolietries, threadbare towels and worn carpeting, but for the price and ambience of the traditional architecture we would return. Our package came with breakfast which was quite good with made to order items, breads, fruit and coffee. There is also wifi available. There is a small bar, Mao Mao Chung, located out the front door and a 2 minute walk to the right that serves interesting drknks and pizzas; well worth a visit or two.

Room Tip: Choose a room located at the back end of the property to stay away from hutong lane noise.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saxsma
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I wanted an authentic feel in my accommodation to accentuate my Beijing experience. LuSong Yuan meets that expectation but falls short of the quality I normally expect. The hotel rooms are in need of updating. Bath linens are subpar. Wifi in rooms seems to turn off after business hours, exactly when a weary tourist might want to check in back home via email. The restaurant breakfast is pathetic and too expensive. All those things noted, I have not seen another hotel nearby that would make me think they'd do better. The location is ideally close to good shopping, both artsy and souvenirs. Great bars, average restaurants (although they don't lack in atmosphere).

If you do stay here, there is a restaurant tucked away next door, 18 Tea House, great courtyard dining, wonderful selection of tea, and superb italian and japanese food selection. Also, for breakfast try the cafe attached to the Peking Backpackers Hostel down the main alley for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kimberly3333
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Just finished the book "the last days of old beijing" and this is exactly what i expected!

its a nice central location and great feel and experience. its not immaculate or perfect service but above average, but that's not why i picked this place! great overall experience and definitely a pretty good value with conversion rates.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelinYank
Singapore
Reviewed November 5, 2010

If you want your hotel in Beijing to give you a glimpse of the past (as we did) but are willing to accept that with this you lose an element of chain hotel comfort then this place is for you.

We loved the old-worldy feeling of sitting out in the red lantern lit courtyard in the brisk early evening air with the moon above and listening to old guys playing chinese instruments. Made us get all poetic!
The trade-off's - as others have said, the opium style beds are hard. Very. However the hotel did provide a second duvet which we deployed as a second bed sheet that helped no end. The other issue is if you're tall (over 6ft / 185cm) you wont be able to lie down completely straight but again this is not difficult to accept. The room and bathroom were certainly not spacious. The breakfast is very limited in range but what they did have tasted fine - it doesn't market itself as a 4/5 star chain hotel so don't expect it. All in all these minor downsides shouldn't deter those with an imagination looking for old-school chinese charm from coming here.

The Hutong area is not scary though it's probably best to arrive during the day as it looks a little more intimidating at night. The side street the hotel is on isn't brilliantly lit, the whole hutong is touristy and safe. In fact it has almost completely left behind it's traditional hutong feeling, save for lay-out, in favour of an almost 'too cool' vibe with some cool little bars and shops. In fact the Aussie guy who owns and runs 12sqm (near the main entrance to the hutong) is a friendly chap who speaks chinese and used to be a tour guide manager. He was very happy to give us a few tips that proved extremely helpful.

If you buy any snacks from the little shop opposite, at least check you buy something that only went out of date in the last 6 months.

As a base to walk to the forbidden city and jinshan park, depending on your walking style it'll take you 20 mins (pacy walk) up to 40 mins for a gentle amble.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Club_Street
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed October 3, 2010

My wife, our 8 months son and I stayed a week at this charming hutong hotel. The location is excellent, being very close to one of the most funky hutong streets in Beijing. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the reception staff speaks good english. The rooms are cosy and very different from modern style hotels. The large courtyard with statues and live birds is super. During our stay there was live traditional music every evening, which was very cool.
Our room was very small and since we also had a baby bed (for free) we had nearly no floor space. As in other hutong hotels the bed is super hard, but that was ok.
Generally, we had a great stay at this hotel, but of course there are minor details that could be improved. The room would benefit from a small renovation and a new carpet. The breakfast could be more interesting and the coffee better - but this is really minor details.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Rasmus P
Malaysia
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I was prepared for contrast when I decided to stay in this hotel for 4 days after having stayed in a 5 star ultra-modern hotel in Shanghai. But I wasn't prepared for the shoddiness. Things didn't look good the moment I checked in. I had booked and paid for 3 rooms and had even written to the hotel's management 2 months before just to make sure they knew what type of rooms I would like to have for me and my family.
On arrival I was told the hotel was fully booked and I was checked into a small room at the end of the corridor with a back wall for a view. If I wanted to change to a bigger room I was told I had to pay more. After (loud) verbal intervention by my Beijing friend they finally gave us 1 suite and 1 adjacent room to accommodate 6 adults.
The rooms opened into small courtyards which offered just the type of old Beijing ambience we were hoping for. The hotel itself was in a hutong, about 100m from the main road which was convenient. Although it was quite dark at night it was reassuring to note that there was a police station just about 50m up the road. The interesting Nanluogooxiang hutong was only 10 min walk away. Internet was free and the power points worked.
Despite all the good points with regards to the location there were many irritating and shoddy aspects which spoilt my stay.
The rooms were basic, quite dull and smelled rather musty which was forgivable, being a converted traditional old house. What was not forgivable was that there was dust on the window frames and the carpets. I could accept that, being a small hotel, the carpets had seen better days but finding the same patch of dust on the carpet under the table for 4 days obviously meant that nobody vacuumed the carpets. On the third day of my stay, my bed was not even made.
Nobody picked up the phone when i dialed for service so one of us had to run up to the front desk whenever we wanted to make any request or enquiry.
There was a slight but constant smell of urine in the toilet but keeping the air extractor constantly on managed to keep the stench to a minimum. The shower heads leaked and the shower area had a constant pool of water due to poor drainage. One night the hot water was suddenly cut off in the middle of my shower. Enquiry at the front desk revealed that they had shut down the hot water to do some repair work and I had to wait another half an hour (ie freeze with soap and shampoo all over) before hot water would resume!
One of the air conditioners rattled and dripped water in the early hours of the morning but nothing was done about it despite reporting to the front desk. The following night I asked for some pails or containers to catch the water drip but was told they could not provide anything as it was already night. There was no full length mirror in any of the rooms. The kettle was missing from my room so there was no drinking water available. When I asked for a kettle the housemaid said it was missing because I had probably misplaced it myself and refused to supply another kettle. The porters were rude and unhelpful. When told to take the luggage to my friend's car parked at the main entrance the porter retorted, "Don't tell me what to do. I will do my job my way!"
This hotel had many good features but the shoddy management and substandard maintenance of the place made a stay in the hotel a test of one's patience and endurance. And that's a pity.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family