“Great Four Star Hotel in the Heart of Beijing!”
Review of North Garden Hotel

North Garden Hotel
Ranked #1,647 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I just returned after a nine night stay at the North Garden Hotel in Beijing, China. The hotel was fabulous...excellent location in the heart of Beijing on Wanfujing Street. It's near a large mall (Oriental Plaza), a few minutes walk to the Wangfujing subway stop, and near lots and lots of restaurants and shops. The hotel reception was very welcoming...they even upgraded my hotel room to business class as I was staying for nine nights. I had no trouble communicating with the reception staff. The room was a good size with a LCD TV , comfy bed (I like a firm mattress) and free bottles of water daily. The bathroom was nice and provided more than enough toiletries. The shower pressure was good and had great hot water. The room was nice and quiet as it's not directly on the Wangfujing. It's actually on a side street off the Wangfujing. I did have a hard time finding the hotel...it's right behind the large Wangfujing Bookstore and next to the Oriental Plaza Mall. The hotel reception and housekeeping staff were all professional and cordial. The housekeeper really kept my room spotless for the nine nights I stayed there. I always had plenty of clean towels and plenty of toiletries. The only complaint I had was that there was a stain on the carpet...other than that, no complaints at all. I definitely highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting the perfect hotel in the heart of Beijing. Great price...terrific location!! It's only one subway stop or about a five minute walk to Tiananmen Square.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank KimmieRN

An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed October 17, 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I had a very comfortable stay here in July, 2009. The best thing about it by far is its central location, but the service, rooms, and breakfast were excellent as well. Some earlier posts complain about poor service or bad food, but I encountered no such problems during my stay. The breakfast buffet features several Western and Eastern options, and the bellhop (Gerry Ma was his name) helped me with everything from finding my way to the Great Wall by public bus (rather than the hotel-operated tour) to acting as my own personal currency exchange (yuan to dollars) when all the banks had already closed. Perhaps hard beds might deter the pampered traveler, but it seems that most hotels in Beijing feature such beds. I prefer firm matresses, so this was not a problem. I never heard any slammed doors or any other noise while I was sleeping. Communication with the staff in English was never an issue, as long as I was patient and spoke slowly and clearly.

I did heed the warning of a previous traveler who claimed to have had his credit card cloned at the reception desk, and I extended that caution to all businesses and locations except the ATM in the hotel lobby. Credit card safe and sound.

I booked a room at this hotel for under $100 a night through a discount site and would highly recommend doing the same for a cheap but luxurious stay in Beijing.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robert2009
Reviewed July 10, 2009

General: The hotel is very clean and affordable. It is located in the heart of the tourist area of Beijing and about a 15 minute walk to Tiennamen square. All the other sites are accessible by taxi or tour bus. The hotel can arrange tours for you. Service is very friendly although they do not speak fluent English so it may be hard for you to understand them and much harder for them to understand you.

Pros: Free internet, very clean, great location and great staff.
Cons: Hard beds (common in Asia), can probably get a better hotel with just a minor price increase.
Nitpicky: People stand outside the hotel and ask you if you would like to go to the Great Wall of China (don't accept - you don't know which is legitimate and which are scams)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Georgeamazing
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The rooms were quite small and dingy (the beds were rock hard), in contrast with the beautiful lobby. Very little English was spoken by the staff, with the exception of a helpful bellboy. Beware of extra hidden charges--20 yuan for a towel we used for a coffee spill--and coffee that looks like it's free but costs 30 yuan per cup. Horrible food in the restaurant--skip it and go to Stargucks in the nearby mall. I had the impression that the staff (mostly dour) was either watching me to see that I didn't steal anything or trying to tack on extra charges... A truly disappointing expereince redeemed only by the fabulous location.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stayed 6 nights at The North Garden Hotel in Wangfujing Street in central Beijing.
The hotel looks nice from the outside and is in a good area, great for shopping and conveniently located for the underground station. The noise from neighbouring rooms can be a problem, slamming doors being a constant annoyance. My stay was comfortable and I had no real complaint with the service, although the room service menu was very limited and the food not particularly impressive.
My impression of the hotel would have been to recommend as a clean central place to stay, however, this impression was totally dashed when I returned to the UK to be advised by my bank that my credit card had been cloned!
On arrival I had been asked to pay a 500 Yen deposit, fine, this would be refundable so long as nothing was damaged, so, as I hadn't had an opportunity to change up much money, I decided to pay the deposit by credit card, this was the ONLY time that my credit card was used for the entire holiday, on checking out I handed the same card over to the staff for the transaction to be refunded.
Perhaps I should have heeded the warnings of friends who had advised not to use any credit cards in China, but as the hotel was supposedly 4 star and reputable, I believed that It would not be a problem.
Upon returning to the UK however and picking up my messages, I had 2 calls from my bank advising me that my credit card had been cloned. So BEWARE! and if you do decide to use this hotel, its a pleasant enough place to stay, great location, but just don't use any plastic!!!

• Stayed: May 2009