“Comfortable, Convenient and Quiet”

CITIC Hotel Beijing Airport
Ranked #531 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I found the hotel to be a comfortable and very convenient place place to stay between flights. I arrived from Capital Airport Terminal 2 and left to go Terminal 3, both via the hotel shuttle, with an excellent night's sleep in-between. I had stayed at this hotel six years earlier when it was the Sino-Swiss and encountered an equally friendly and helpful staff this time along with a spotlessly clean and nice-sized room. In the afternoon, I enjoyed wandering around the surrounding town. There are a number of shops nearby and several restaurants to choose from. I certainly will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for CITIC Hotel Beijing Airport

Reviewed May 18, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night before catching an early morning long haul flight home to Dublin. It was only a place to lay my head and have a shower before the trip but having spent the previous two nights in the Swissotel Hong Kong Macau, I was in from a pretty significant fall from grace.

It is advertised as a four star hotel which I believe is entirely exaggerated, a three star would be more than sufficient for it. Driving to it in a taxi I initially thought I must have been going to the wrong place as the neighbourhood in which it is located is pretty rough and tumble. With dirty footpaths, pollution and random prostitutes and children walking around, I genuinly thought we were just taking a shortcut to where the hotel really was- I was wrong.

Upon reaching the hotel, I was comforted for the hotel lobby itself was clean and tidy. I checked in with the usual Chinese song and dance of passports, visas, credit cards etc. I asked to pay my bill before I went upstairs as I was leaving the hotel at 6.30 am and wanted checkout to be as smooth as possible. The gentleman at the desk (with the little English he had) told me that was no problem but he would need a deposit of 240rmb on my credit card in order to allow me to prepay. I declined and agreed to check out the following morning instead.

Later, I required an iron and rather promptly it arrived in my room with the ironing board however I had to sign an indemnity form to say that if something happened the iron (which frankly had seen better days) I would pay 100rmb to replace it.

My room was at the front of the building and I believe the windows must have been single-glazed for there was music and announcements coming from the supermarket across the street that were so loud I thought they were being streamed into my room. I called reception about this and their answer was that it was coming from the supermarket but it was closing at 8 pm so I didn't mind too much.

I ordered some food on room service that was fine, no complaints here except that there was a service charge of 15% which I found quite steep.

Checkout was very slow and I had to ask the concierge to load my bags on the complimentary shuttle bus three times for he had no English either. Upon checkout, I discovered another 100rmb on my bill for taxes which I was unaware of.

The location of this hotel is perfect and literally a ten minute drive from the airport but I wouldn't stay in it for any more than one night and I would advise anyone to be fully aware of their total bill as the cost advertised on the site does not include breakfast or taxes.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the supermarket
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank lav-senior
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Arrived after midnight so no shuttle bus running, taxi driver pretended to have trouble finding hotel, think he was disapointed to have such a short run from airport.
Room was very spacious and clean, No smoke smell, good selection of toiletries. Bed very comfortable. Useful desk and work area.
Breakfast was pretty average and quite expensive.
I chose to take a taxi to the airport rather than wait for the free shuttle. Once again the taxi driver wanted to maximise his earnings, he would not use the meter and insisted the fare would be a flat rate of 50 RMB.
All told I think this hotel is an excellent good value alternative to the usual chains and would certainly use again.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Travellerfromuk45
Reviewed April 9, 2011

The hotel is nice and clean. Came here for one night waiting for my flight. 5 minute taxi ride from the airport. I got a free upgrade which was very nice.
Only thing I didn´t like is having to pay 10 dls for 1 day internet service. Nowadays it feels like having to pay for water!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Very short stay as we were in transit back to US--arrived after midnight and left early am.

The lobby was virtually deserted when we arrived. The desk clerk took way too long copying down our passport info. I can't imagine during the busy hours how long it would take if each party had to go through this.

Fortunately, I got the two non-smoking rooms I requested. After staying in smoky rooms in Qingdao for 4 days, this was a welcome relief. The rooms seemed fairly spacious, with a work area with desk and chair, as well an extra chair. The beds were on the softer side, which after hard beds for the previous 8 nights, was actually a welcome relief. I didn't get a chance to check the TV channel selection as I went straight to bed and early. One thing I did miss though was a wake-up service on the phone like most hotels in the US had. I did have my watch and iPod already set, but for people who worry about missing flights, this seems like a necessity at an airport hotel.

One thing I liked, which seems common in the Chinese hotels I stayed in, is a big selection of toiletries. In addition to the standard shampoo, conditioner, and lotion, the room comes with a shaving kit with disposable razor, toothbrush and small toothpaste, cotton swabs, cotton balls, emery board, as well as little slippers. I loved the toothbrushes as I didn't have to unpack a thing, enabling me to get to bed quicker.

There was an electric tea kettle to boil water for coffee and tea. Complementary packets of tea and instant coffee were available. That was nice, as we left too early to eat breakfast. Too bad they didn't have a complementary breakfast bag like our airport hotel in Mexico City.

The bathroom itself was a bit on the small side, and the tub was too narrow, and I had to take care that I didn't bump into the wet shower curtain but the shower had good pressure and the toilet flushed well, so for our short stay, it wasn't a big issue.

Now, about the sleazy nature of this hotel, and I write about this as caution and potential red flag. I noticed that condoms were available for sale in the bathroom. There was also a notice about taking care about preventing sexually transmitted diseases. I thought it weird (and prayed my kids wouldn't notice) but didn't think much about it. That is, until my husband mentioned to me the next day that the one man that had come while we were checking in had asked the desk clerk in Chinese if she had any rooms available to rent by the hour. Icky!!! I don't know if he was bringing in a hooker or his mistress, but in either case, that really makes me question what sort of establishment this was.

I should also mention that although this hotel bills itself as a resort-type hotel, with an outdoor swimming pool, and several restaurants and a buffet breakfast, it's in sort of a seedy neighborhood. As we drove up to the hotel, I was wondering if the taxi driver was lost. There was several inebriated men sitting on the side of the street and the businesses and apartments around there looked run-down and a bit scary looking. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a long-term stay. It's a long distance from all the primary tourist attractions and in a less-than-desirable neighborhood.

While there no flights coming and going while we were there, I can't confirm for certain how quiet this hotel would be during the day, but at least it was fine for the short time we were there. However, I'm not going to recommend this hotel in any case. It appears to have some seedy business taking place there and especially for families, I think it's not a good spot. The Hilton just completed a brand new airport hotel (I had tried to cash in my points to get a room there but they weren't yet taking award reservations) which I would suggest looking into instead. It appears to be a better neighborhood than this hotel.

Two stars only

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank pjc62
Reviewed March 29, 2011

This was always an OK place to stay a night close to PEK (airport) - yes be prepared to pay for (almost) everything! Latest visit was Monday night this week, arrived late after their last (free) airport shuttle (ends at 11PM)! Cabbie pretended to have trouble finding the place (to run up the bill) and front desk couldn't find my reservation upon checking in. OK I didn't have a confirmation number with me, but my company had made the reservation! Wifi in lobby (free) works in room it's wired at 20euro/hr! Lots of noise outside early for a 'quiet' room! Breakfast was extra (115 RMB) and at the 'egg station' a red cockroach scurried through the chopped onions (urpp)! The staff seemed to be indifferent--normal I suppose. My wife said she'd left a message for me with the concierge but no one could find it, ever! Shuttle driver under -stood no English (nor other European languages) so couldn't tell me which terminal (of 3) was for KLM to Amsterdam. Can anyone recommend another place to stay near to PEK? I'd really like to find one.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The airport Hilton was crazy expensive and the reviews for Ibis and others sounded really scary (and their price tage proves it) so I chose the middle ground CITIC. The lobby looks 3-4 star so I entered the room with low expectations. The room is a little small, and grubby, and ok for a night lasting 6 hours. They charge for internet, which is very rare for China, and the payment is not equal to reliability. The internet connection was unstable and my emails kept stalling. Check out was a little slow, and considering people are rushing to the airport since this is an airport hotel, that's not wise service

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business