“Poor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 5,939 Hotels in Beijing
Boston, Massachusetts
“Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

The room was small, there wasn't any things in minibar, Internet connection cable was not in my room, I asked reception 3 times if there is Internet connection available in my room and they said "No" I asked them to change my room to any other room with the Internet connection and they said that there is no room with Internet connectivity and there is only in lobby but finally in third times I asked them again and they called housekeeping to bring a interrnet connection cable for me !
For breakfast when I told my room number, they asked my room number again for two times everyday !
There was a problem with carpet.

Room Tip: Give your room above 9 floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sahar A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

the lobby is very grand, but feel shocked when I entered into the room - bad smell, dirty and old furniture, soft and uncomfortable bed, slippers with stain, stain in shower area, floor not clean, carpet dirty, old TV, dark room... what can be worse ? tried their buffet - limited choice, no serive, cold food. avoid !!!

Room Tip: Do not think any room is good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WaiYat

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

The lobby area looks promising, it looks like a luxury hotel. Then, when you go up to your room you realize that it was not as good.
Rooms are not bad however they could use a nice refurbishment, specially the heating system and the carpets.

I had dinner at the hotel (Buffet) and even if it was not bad, it was far from good.

If you are a bit picky then try some western hotel. If you are OK eitherway this hotel is as good as any.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Lets be absolutely clear......this is a local Chinese owned hotel and for many years has catered for higher social Chinese citizens and business traveler as well as the "overnight stay" for airline crews. Therefore, it does not have all the facilities and creature comforts that normally is associated with a Western owned 5* hotel. Therefore, you need to expect the following:- strange room smells, faulty plumbing in the bathroom, Chinese dishes at breakfast buffet, smoking even in the no-smoking areas, noises in adjoing rooms, etc. However, having said all of this, this hotel is trying to reinvent itself into a hotel to cater for the international traveler.....they have recently refurbished most rooms and have upgraded breakfast facilities and extended the buffet choices. So, in summary.........this hotel is good value for money for the facilities provided however, its not ideally located (West Beijing) for the tourist traveler.

Room Tip: Try and get a room as far away from the elevators as possible!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DB_Cooper_inHK
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I have stayed at the Presidential before and I was not impressed with the rooms as they were quite tired but I stayed here for business last week and all the rooms have been re-designed with all new décor.

I especially liked the large plasma TV’s and the couch which was very comfy. I had a suite room and they were especially large (well, large for me anyway)

Check in was easy and the staff were quite polite. I think the lobby has been re-done as well.
Breakfast was included but there could have been more variety for the western dishes

Overall I was very impressed with the stay and I would recommnd this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a suite room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gab76
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed at the Presidential Beijing for a week over New Year 2011/2012 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed in one of the newly refurbished suites which was extremely comfortable- plenty of room, nice interior, everything one would expect from a 5 star hotel. The lobby of the Presidential is very impressive, very high almost cathedral like ceilings, big staircase and a great area for a quiet drink after a long day of siteseeing. The buffet breakfast, which was included with our room, was offered in the cafe on the ground floor- a diverse mix of Asian and Western foods and a great way to start a day! Probably the best aspect of our stay, however, was the quality of service we received from the hotel staff. From the front desk, to concierge desk, doormen and restaurant staff (try the hot pot at the Chinese restaurant!) everyone was very helpful and willing to go out of their way to help. Of particular note was one of the senior foreign managers working at the Presidential, from Australia I think going by the accent. On arrival, we were obviously very tired from our long flights and seeing this he went of his way to streamline our check in...the quickest and most pain free check ins I've ever experienced! During our 1 week stay he would continually check on how things were going, even personally helping us organise a car to take us to the Great Wall, 10/10 for service! Would we return? Definately!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leo P
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We had quite a bad experience staying in this '5-star' hotel. To start off, we made a total of 2 room changes. The first change was due to the room door being faulty. We couldn't get the door open even after tapping the room key and turning the door knob repeatedly. We had to seek help from the front desk who told us that they will send a staff over to check.

When the staff came, she initially couldn't get the room door open as well. But later on, she managed to get the door open, but I noticed that she had used her leg to slightly kick open the door when turning the door knob! I asked the staff whether she had used her leg to kick the door open. She flatly denied and told us that there was nothing wrong with the door!

We thereafter requested for a room change at the front desk. Imagine our surprise when the front desk staff gave us a pissed off look and mumbled 'A change of room again?!' when this was our first room change request! What kind of staff attitude is this? I presume there may have been a number of room change requests from the other occupants of the hotel due to problems with their room as well.

Our room change was anything but good. The room was smaller as the front desk said they had no other rooms of the same size. More importantly, the aircon seems to be faulty as the room was still warm even after we had set the aircon to high speed and set the temperature to the lowest possible setting of 15 degrees celsius.

We thus resorted to calling the assistant manager and highlight our grievances and disatisfaction. The assistant manager immediately responded by giving us a second room change and a bigger room at no additional cost. The aircon in the bigger room was slightly better. However, setting the aircon to high speed and temperature to 15 degrees celsius still did not cool off the room as what was desired. We did not want to go through the hassle of another room change so we grinned and bear it for the next 3 nights.

My comments about the room besides the aircon issue is that the furnishings seem dated for a 5-star hotel. The shower in the bathroom was also not strong enough and it takes a longer time for us to bathe and clean off our soap. In addition, the shower area always floods when we take our showers.

The only thing good about the hotel is that the room was relatively big. So a '5-star' hotel? If you asked me, it is more of a '1-star' hotel disguised as a '5-star'.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family