“It doesn't have to be a big name brand”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kunlun

Hotel Kunlun
Ranked #76 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Beijing, China
“It doesn't have to be a big name brand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

After spending many lunches and dinners during my trips to Beijing at the Kunlun I decided to stay there on my last trip to Beijing.

I was not disappointed. Friendly service from doorman, to front desk and ..... where ever I met some staff. It was a great start.

the room was very spacious with a bathroom bigger than most hotel rooms. Separate WC area, big shower cabin, a big tub and lots of space to walk around.

Then bed was comfortable and I slept very good.

The room has a desk separated from the main room with a big enough desk, internet and office supplies in the drawer. Very nice space to do some work. Only downside is that you can't see the TV from there.

I will be back and enjoy the hospitality of the Kunlun again.

Room Tip: Great hotel, with friendly and attentive service. Large rooms with everything you need. All that in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HotelKunlun_Beijing, General Manager at Hotel Kunlun, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear CW-Chuba

Thank you for choosing Hotel Kunlun Beijing in your previous trip, and most important of all, sharing your valuable feedback with us.
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our room and facilities, as well as the high-level service provided by our friendly staffs. I also recommented that you could try taste our delicious food from our a series of Chinese and Western restaurants on your next staying at Hotel Kunlun.
Once again, thank you for your support and hopefully to see you soon again in Beijing.

Best regards

Nov 28, 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Lovely upscale Chinese hotel, moderate english spoken, rooms were large and luxurious, service exemplary. Breakfast wwas extremely expensive and not worth the price; the mall across the road has a food court where we ate much cheaper. Dinner buffet was bland and overcooked compared to most Chinese restaurants on the trip that served excellent food. There are excellent Chinese restaurants around the corner from the hotel that are recommended. Location was superb as hotel was on subway line 10, making it easy to go anywhere in Beijing without facing traffic.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary C
HotelKunlun_Beijing, General Manager at Hotel Kunlun, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Mary C

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel facilities, Chineses restaurants as well as our convenient location in the city. However, it is regretful to learn that our breakfast and dinner buffet did not turn out to meet your expectation.

We really believe that every day should start with a magnificent breakfast, and we do receive many positive comments from our guests regarding the variety of choice offered on our breakfast. From Continental breakfast options, such as cheeses, yoghurts, fruit, cereals and pastries, to American breakfast, Chinese breakfast, Japanese breakfast and Southeast of Asia breakfast, everything is freshly prepared and of the highest quality. It only cost RMB193 compared to RMB 240 in Westin just opposite kunlun

Regarding the dinner buffet you mentioned, we always strive to have the best and varied selection of cuisine on our buffet. Seven theme of cuisine could be tasted through seven days of week. I have already passed your comments to the chef and discussed where improvement can be found.

Thank you again and we hope you are able to stay with us again during your next visit to Beijing.

Oct 26, 2012
Sittard, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Very good business hotel, certainly worth 4 1/2 star. Stylish, old grandeur, real big rooms and many good restaurants.
I stayed at the 17th floor. The rooms (also colleagues at floors 14, 15, 16) were big. Nice "study" in the room at the entrance with desk, big bedroom (good bed) and real big bathroom with bath, separate big shower and separate toilet. Very convenient. But the airco in the rooms only work worked to heat the rooms up (second half October), while the room was really getting hot.
Excellent breakfast with enormous choice for all tastes and nationalities. Restaurants (4 Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, international) were good but expensive. Good bars. Excellent club restaurant. Sauna, gym.
Unfortunately, renovation works were ongoing causing some noise but not too much and not at night. Still, the swimming was closed due to renovation. Sauna, massage available.
Excellent hotel for experienced travelers demanding more than average service and luxury.
The only real minus point was the limited wifi availability (basically only lobby/ground floor) while also the wired internet in the rooms was really slow. Should be better above F17, but not tested.
Still recommended!

Room Tip: Certainly during renovation choose upper rooms for optimal comfort (17 and above). Also for better I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HarmSittard
HotelKunlun_Beijing, General Manager at Hotel Kunlun, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Mr. HarmSittard

Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing the Hotel Kunlun. We were especially pleased to hear your feedback on our breakfast and the room we chose for you.

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed in the noise of renovation . We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in your previous stay. In order to meet the changing needs of the guests, Hotel constantly updated equipment and facilities to make more easy environment and relaxed atmosphere in the future. It will be greatly appreciated for your understanding and tolerance. We hope that you will experience the changes in the near future.

Regarding the net speed you mention, we have already contacted with telecom companies to find a way to solve this problem, unfortunately, the earlier reported by press to show many enterprise and individuals in china are suffering from the fake net high-speed. We try our best to look for solutions to this.

Once again, thank you for the positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Beijing

Oct 25, 2012
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

This is as good as it gets in terms of quality and value. Large luxurious hotel with great attention to detail, plush towels, choice of pillows, extraordinarily friendly service, breakfast at the level of the Paris Ritz (included in price), smiles everywhere.... all for nothing in terms of price. Highly recommended. Two drawbacks that do not change the opinión: terrible coffee and smell of smoke even in non-smoking rooms but this is normal in China.... don't think twice, stay here in Beijing!

• Stayed October 2012
HotelKunlun_Beijing, General Manager at Hotel Kunlun, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Gazap0

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Kunlun Beijing in your previous trip, and most important of all, sharing your valuable feedback with us.
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our breakfast selection, as well as the leisure facilities around the hotel.
Yet it is sorry to learn that you are not completely satisfied with your stay. We have already notified Housekeeping departments to ensure that every guest room is properly maintained and hopefully we can prepare a more comfortable environment for you in your next visit.
In the meantime, if there is any further question, or any assistance needed, please feel free to contact us directly.

Oct17, 2012
wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Arrived jetlagged to room in early afternoon trying to grab an hour's sleep- found noisy due to building work on floors above. I was moved at no extra cost to higher class room with beautiful views over parkland. Found one blackout curtain did not draw properly advised staff at desk. 1/2 hr later returned to room to pick up something: they were already fixing it. As I was getting something from my luggage one of the ladies politely asked me for my room access card and checked I was who I said I was- this is impressive attitude to security!
Asked for a latte coffee over breakfast- a weak cappucino arrived but after explanation briskly removed and a good effort ( for PRC) coffee produced. Staff all really friendly and helpful. I had to check out one night early to catch different flight- they agreed to refund part of night (though unlikely would get anyone in room) which I had not expected but then they noted hotel had been paid for by my employer and politely advised the refund would go directly back to employer. Again that is excellent policy.

Dont order tea in lobby it is extremely expensive at RMB140 I could not believe it- across the road at tea rooms I paid rmb 50. drinks like gin and tonic were about rmb50 9even thats expensive but this is directly opposite an international hotel) so I cant understand this price! also dont order the chinese red wine by the glass it is truly awful :-)

breakfast is excellent even the pastries!!! the room v comfortable with cable access fast internet, central swithch by bed turns off all the lights in the rooms.. my room had expansive views over the park also from the bath!!! and you could watch tv in bath though I didnt try that. bed v comfortable. all sockets fit all plugs- why can the chinese do that and not the rest of the world??? plumbing all works and the toiltets flush well ( a problem in some parts of china...) staff at check-in fantastic. exchanged currencies for v reasonable rate.

recommended

Room Tip: further up is better but costs more..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Mr. thorstenvilliers

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review for the Hotel Kunlun Beijing and for your comments about our hotel facilities and friendly staffs.
I would like to say something about the tea you mentioned, the YINJUNMEI, one kind of lapsang-souchong from 1500 meters of Wuyi Mountain on the Fujian province of china, unique flavor, which is a mixed comprehensive floral and fruity, taste sweet. In recent years, lapsang-souchong has begun to grow in popularity and has become the favorite tea of many who also appreciate single-malt Scotch whisky and fine cigars. It was once known as a man’s tea but more and more women are drnking it as well. Many tea lovers report that they enjoy drinking it outdoors, especially after any intense activity. So The price of tea is consistent with its value

Once again, our sincere appreciation for your great support extended to Hotel Kunlun Beijing for your most recent stay and we look forward to having more opportunities to serve you in the future.

Oct17, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

If you i have to summarize the review into 1 simple description, it would be: Value for Money.

Here's why:

As a hotel that I've never heard of, this one blows me away. The lobby was huge and impressive, the room is spacious, and as a renovated hotel, I can see they're maintaining the hotel very well. It doesnt feel like an old hotel even though it actually is.

The room I stayed was divided into 3 parts, the 'working room' with table and all connectivity you need to setup a working space conveniently which is located right after you enter the door. Then the bedroom with generous space all around including a set of 2 sofas and small table. Then the bathroom which has separate shower room, bath tub, and toilet room. What makes it even better is that everything is in the right places when you need it. Including the buttons and switches, plugs and everything else.

Breakfast is good with a wide range of selection. A true 5-star breakfast.

Service, as you're in China, dont expect like you're in Indonesia. Just like Hongkong and Singapore, they're just average. But compared to other hotels, this one is above.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor room. And ask for the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Damonhakim
HotelKunlun_Beijing, General Manager at Hotel Kunlun, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Damonhakim

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Hotel Kunlun on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

It is wonderful to hear that, the style of hotel room you stayed is being to your taste, you did appreciate the hardware and amenities that it provided and also I noted your point about our services which you rated average. I believe our passionate staff try very hard to make our guests happy, but comment like yours make all of them on deep thought on where can be improved , what can they do to make our efforts even more worthwhile.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Sep21, 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Went back to Kunlun after the renovation, but it was the same old Kunlun. The facade is changed but the rooms and the service is still a bit "old". The location is great but the rooms are still noisy and the furniture is getting old. Not what I expected.

Room Tip: higher floors facing the canal
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HotelKunlun_Beijing, Manager at Hotel Kunlun, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Kayhan A

Thank you for your taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the Hotel Kunlun Beijing.

We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with renovation of facade. As you know, Hotel Kunlun aims to provide excellent service on a consistent basis. Our Hotel Manager, Shaofeng Yang, would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your experience. He values your opinion and looks forward to hearing from you.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.