“Greatly impressed”

Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West
Ranked #112 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Was working very close to the hotel and whilst my colleague opted to stay at the very central hilton; the fact my experience was 10 times better than his and that I didn't have to get up a hour earlier like he did. A big smile. The hospitality was fantastic and always very helpful including literally guiding you to where ever you needed to go or see. The room was a great size and very clean. Shame I was only here for one night. Will definitely stay here again...

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
GraceXu, Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Martin H

Thank you for taking time to share such a valuable review of our property. We are so proud that our polite staff provided you a satisfied services as well as the "Stay Real" experience. Your recommendation will encourage us to keeping aim higher.
Sincerely appriciated for your supporting, and we wish for the next chance to serve your again. Looking forward to your next trip or conference to Beijing and Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West.

Thank You!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had a meeting in this hotel and really enjoy! Nice room with bigger size compare with some of Holiday Inn hotels and well maintened. Nice meeting room set up with great coffee/tea break, on site squeezed fruit and vegetable juice, very healthy! Great service from Executive Club Lounge, staff could greet you by name as well as in Coffee Shop on 2F, really impressive! One area could be better, I had breakfast at club lounge around 6:30am but the food was not ready when I arrived!

Room Tip: Recommend for Club Floor room with lots of benefits.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GraceXu, Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Eddy L

Thank you for taking time to share such a valuable review of our property. We are so proud that our friendly staff provided you a satisfied services as well as the "Stay Real" experience. Your recommendation will encourage us to keeping aim higher.
Sincerely appriciated for your supporting, and we wish for the next chance to serve your again. Looking forward to your next trip to Beijing and Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West.

Thank You!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

First of all I had the opportunity to stay in this hotel for almost the entire week thats 6 nights all together in a straight row.

Basically this hotel is geared towards both domestic and foreign tourists, though business people could stay in this hotel , but overall this hotel is lacking in the clearly defined "4 stars business hotel" despite the existence of its executive floors suites. For full disclosure , I stayed in the standard room for the 6 nights , and managed to enter the business executive room which was booked for my superior. The executive room was nicely furnished and very up to date furnishing , very business like. The standard room being housed in the older wing, on its own , there are well furnished despite it is now showing its age. The only drawback in the standard room is the musty stale cigarette smell which already absorbed into the ambience smell of the room, which I did find it disgusting. The management could not be blamed entirely for this , this had something to do with the previous occupants disciplinary issues of smoking inside the room.

For the straight 6 days, we used the executive lounge , the staff there are friendly faces despite their poor command of English , did not deter them from serving the guests to their utmost abilities. So I think I have to give them credits for their services and smiles. The only issue is the carpet there, perhaps need more vacuuming more often, as the dry ambience inside the building created static electricity and thereby the carpets are dusty and collecting furballs which from time to time sticks to the shoes and slacks.

Breakfast are pretty much standard with western and Chinese fare, the only drawback is the lacking of proper place to make sunny side up eggs. Language barrier except mandarin, did prevented me from getting sunny side up eggs throught out my stay , they apparently knew only one type of egg, frying them in grease ! The rest of the breakfast food, I had no complain, reasonably edible and I hope they improve on the maintenance of the fresh salad they offer.
If you dont like their standard watery coffee, you can ask for espresso machined coffee, they will be glad to serve you but you have to notify the manager for that.

I also managed to do some exercise on the gym, very basic gym, good clean and well maintained equipment.

Location wise . this hotel is rather on the "suburban' area of beijing, a bit complicated to go to, it is located very close to a military hospital. If those people in short trip, this hotel at least is still reasonably "ok" for you to explore the neighbourhood which is doted with mom & pop shops and further end there are good rows of shops and housing to get the feel how ordinary urbanized citizens lived.

Overall I still recommend this hotel for a short stay no more than 3 days , and although there is no major complain about this hotel, I still think there are more improvements could be made , one of them is the way price is structured and also the musty smell which I do find it awful. Perhaps they should consider of offering semi-exec room for those non smoking biz people.
I am sure there are hotel with worse condition than this, but considering the pricing , this hotel is in the average threshold.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GraceXu, Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Galdan2013

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West. It is our pleasure to provide you such a "stay Real" experience by friendly staff. Your review encouraged us to keep aim higher. About the problem you reflect, we have to convey to the relevant department head. They will be revised.

We sincerely appreciated for your highly support and recommendation. We are looking for the next chance to serve you again and waiting for your next visit to Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West.

Thank you!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Thankyou to Ricky for the upgrade as i was a Platinum member and this was acknowledged at reception and in the room. As previously mentioned, China, even in the hotels have staff with minimal english. However with a sense of humour, a lot of smiles and using the Duty managers, things had a way of ironing themselves out. The rooms were immaculate and more like a Crwone Plaza than a Holiday Inn, tthe gymnasiium and swimming pool would also have made this hotel an oasis in a very chaotic world. I took a massage every day and the girls were proficient therapists and the prices excellent considering the location.
The hotel is 20 minutes in peak hour from the Holiday Inn Down town and I could not locate the subway. However I did not pursue this line of inquiry.
The benchmark has been set high at this hotel as that has been my experience.

Room Tip: There is an ATM 20 metres to the right of the hotel. Turn left out the fron door and cross the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GraceXu, Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Hi Wajela

Thank you for sharing your valuable staying experiences in Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West and we are so glad that you were satisfied with our friendly staff, room, as well as the massage. Your appreciation will definitely encourage us to keeping aiming higher and providing the stay real experiences for our guests. We will enhance the management of the gymnasiium and swimming pool.

Sincerely appreciate again for your recommendation, and it is our hope that you will be back with us in the future visiting to Beijing.

Thank you!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was there on business trip and know the hotel from previous trips and it is good. As the detailed evaluation shows the hotel is good and especially I like the executive rooms and service. I heavily degraded because of the my bad experience related to services provided by the concierge. The pickup from airport was finally 1.5h late, the arrangement I'd expected to bring me to the airport was a simple taxi, wheras I asked for transportation to have it payed as the airport pickup with the hotel bill. Because this was not arranged the final outcome of discussions with the concierge was a missed flight also due to heavy traffic on the way to the airport. Further, the arranged taxi was simply not able to carry 3 passengers to the airport including the luggage.

Room Tip: Executive rooms can be recommended.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GraceXu, Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Hi Chrisis,

Thank you for taking time to share your review to our hotel with us and we do apologize for your experiences happened on airport pickup as well as the flight missing caused by transportation issues. Your feedback is extremely helpful to us as they pointed out the improvement on delivering service and communicating with guests by our staff. We take your feedback seriously and already shared with relevant departments for actions on improve the details during our service.

We are also highly appreciated for your praise to our executive room and service which will definitely encourage us to be aim higher. It is our pleasure if there is another chance to show our hospitality again, and we are looking forward for your next trip to Beijing and Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I and my family, total of 5, joined Go Holiday to visit Beijing during 4-8 April 2013. We stayed at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West with check-in on 4 April and check-out on 8 April. We have a very bad experience with the hotel due to our cosmetic was stolen. The detail of the case was as follows.

We checked in at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West on Thu 4 April 2013 at evening time. We stayed in room # 583 and 585. My wife unpacked her cosmetic and used it on the morning of Fri 5 April before we went out for the 2nd day tour. She left it in the bathroom. When she came back at night of Fri 5 April, she opened her cosmetic around 10.30pm for use and she noticed that it was stolen all the cream inside and left the bottle, box and packed. She recently bought them the new ones and it was stolen until its empty. (Eucerin Micro OIO, Clinique Superbalanced Makeup)

I called the reception and 3 hotel staffs came in around 11pm. They took photo as well. I have confident that the housekeeping maid who came to service on the day of Fri 5 April has stolen the cosmetics. They said that they would investigate and will report us on Sat 6 April morning. But they did not. I let our tour leader followed up with hotel. They got feedback from hotel manager that no one go in the room # 583 and challenge us to report to police.

I told the hotel that we did not expect they pay back the cosmetics, but we would like them seriously investigate the case with the housekeeper who on duty and give notice to he/she not to do like this with the guest who pay for the room.

Until now, no any positive feedback and any even single word of Apology from the hotel at all. Is this the Holiday Inn standard of service? They dare not to investigate their staff and not care on customer feeling at all.

I think that this case is not the first case and not the last case.

Sirichart
Email = sirichart@yahoo.com

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
GraceXu, Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Mr. Sirichart:

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with us. Through the previous communicated with you, it is very regretful to see our resolution did not reach your satisfaction. We are so concerned about this case and do not wish to have you feel unhappy. We will try our best to put this matter to rest.

Firstly, we are sorry that we cannot send you the information and photo of this employee, because there is no direct evidence of proof that our staff is guilty and by law they have rights. This is the advice given by the police and our lawyer. Any action taken was done by the hotel in transferring the staff to another position.

To show our sincere apology for this problem, we would like to replace the missing cosmetics for you and we can mail them as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your understanding and patience.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We spent 4 nights while on a business trip to Beijing. Arriving early in the morning from Europe (9 hour flight), we were very happy that we could already check into our rooms for a quick shower before we "hit the town". The room was very spacious and clean. However, we were apparently close to the lift engines and had a constant roaring/buzzing in the room. Breakfast appeared to be plenty and with a lot of variety (Western and Chinese buffet).

Already at the first encounter, we realized that conversation would be difficult. The desk staff was reasonably ok, but concierge and bar staff were below standard (at least what I would expect from such a hotel). The next days, when information was needed or taxis to be booked we relied on very slow and basic English (simple words, not sentences) and gestures...

The location is ok but a 10 minute walk is needed to reach the nearest subway station and then you need about 20 minutes on the subway to reach the city center (Tien-an-men square). Taxis are cheap but forget about using them in the morning and evening rush hour.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GraceXu, Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Guest,
Appreciated for your comments and having taken the time to share your experience with us. Your opinions are extremely important as these will definitely help us to enhance our services and keep aiming higher. We are so pleasant that you were satisfied with our clean room and breakfast variety. However, we sincerely apologize that did not provide an excellent service experience during your staying which resulted by the noise and staff English communication skill. We already shared and recorded your comments with relevant departments, and will focus on improving the English skill of staff. Extremely appreciate again for your valuable comments. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Beijing Chang An West.