“Nice hotel and location”
Review of Hilton Beijing

Hilton Beijing
Ranked #51 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Hilton Beijing was a nice experience. I'd booked a standard room from Friday until Monday including breakfast.The breakfast was very good and the staff helpful, they have learned have to provide good service. The fitness center is well equipped and the staff very helpful.
The standard room didn't include free access to internet, a 5 star hotel in this price level should provide free access. The hotel is located in the Chaoyang area near the San Li Tun shopping and entertainment center. 5 minutes walk to subway line 10 and 20 minutes by taxi to the airport or one stop to catch the express train to the airport. The price was okay but only because I found a cheap weekend offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon A, Director of Operations at Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Philip R,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Beijing, we always enjoy receiving feedback from our guests.

We are pleased that you were happy with the location, facilities and our service, which contributed towards your positive experience with us. We also thank you for your compliments on our breakfast buffet spread. We hope to welcome you back when you are next in Beijing.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We are staying here for one full week, and the Beijing pollution situation is very poor. The indoor pool in the hotel had three outside doors (propped) open to allow a high pressure of outside air in. We closed the doors. Then called to complain to the manager, she was not available, and did not call us back. We went to the front desk to talk directly with her, and explain the situation. Then, we all went back to the pool to investigate. Sure enough, one of the doors was open again.

The manager translated what the fitness staff communicated to her in Chinese, and we were told GUESTS open the doors for fresh air. We find this hard to believe. Regardless, the staff should keep the doors closed.

We were very disappointed, with sore throats, and will not return to the pool. Beware, the steam room is also out of service for at least the past three days.

Not exactly the Hilton experience we know.....

1  Thank BMWitgen

Dear BMWitgen,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton Beijing, we are sorry that you were disappointed with your experience with us.

We have reviewed your feedback in-depth, and we recognize that our service could have been more attentive and discerning. Please rest assured that the team continues to work hard to deliver the exemplary hospitality expected of a Hilton hotel.

Thank you for sharing your insights. We hope to have you with us again in the future and look forward to extending the outstanding Hilton hospitality experience that we always seek to deliver.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel is very good, a litle bit expensive, but very good.
The twin double bed room is good size.
Breakfast is excellent! Options for chinese, american, french ans english breakfast.
Before going to some sight-seeing (tour), the recomendation is to have a very good breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Simon A, Director of Operations at Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear WRWanderley,

Greetings from Hilton Beijing!

Thank you for staying at Hilton Beijing, we are delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us. My team and I are heartened to learn that your stay with us left you with a positive impression. The pleasure was ours to deliver the delightful experience to you, from the comfort of our guest room to the plentiful variety in our breakfast buffet spread.

We hope that you will plan another holiday to Beijing in the future and look forward to extending our warm hospitality to you.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is my fourth trip this year to Beijing and staying at the Hilton Beijing. My experience each time has been great. The service has been excellent, especially in the executive lounge. Everyone is so helpful, responsive and genuinely nice. The staff always make sure that I am taken care of. What I really appreciate is that they know my name each time I return (even after several weeks of not being there) and they remember what I like. I have food allergies and they work with me to make sure I have something I can eat. I really appreciate that. The supervisors take the time to talk to the guests. It's the same for breakfast and for the happy hour. I look forward to staying at the Hilton because of this. They also have DVD's that can be checked out and used in the room. The Executive lounge also provides check in/check out services. The renovated gym is nice - I just wish they would have the same English stations as the hotel - there is only 1 English news channel available with the equipment. The rooms are spacious. I recommend staying here.

Dear Kim A,

Greetings from Hilton Beijing!

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton Beijing, it was a pleasure having you with us.

Thank you for your generous review and compliments of Hilton Beijing, it is always a pleasure when our guests enjoy comfortable and seamless experiences with us. We are also happy to find that our Health Club, the facilities and services in Executive Lounge were among the highlights of your stay.

We look forward to having you with us again when you next return to Beijing.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

BEWARE. Staff of this property have searched through my things and stolen personal items in what feels like it could be a coordinated effort. You be the judge.
Some background - I went to Beijing on a business trip and chose the Hilton Beijing because other members of our business event were staying there and it was an approved location in our corporate travel tool. Unfortunately, after being at the hotel for less than 24 hours I realized this was a huge mistake. I won’t go and make wild accusations but I will share the facts about what has turned out to be the worst and most disturbing hotel stay I have ever had.
First, there were the obvious things to expect when traveling abroad. The staff does not speak English well and I had to find people that could explain to Food and Beverage what simple terms like milk or ice meant. As expected, many things were lost in translation but even the management does not have a firm grasp of the English language which makes things very difficult. This is expected for any foreign hotel but it is still worth mentioning. If you have dietary restrictions or preferences, learn the foreign terms and have someone write them down for you.
Sleep – They have nice automated blinds that do a good job blocking out all night. Unfortunately this does you no good when they call your room in the middle of the night. Twice I had someone call me saying “we missed a call from this room, did you need something?”. I hadn’t called anyone. This may explain why the phone was unplugged (see below).
Room – They have things set up on a very odd light switch system. The only way to turn off the lights off requires you to walk to the room door to flip the switch and then walk back in the dark to your bed. Three lights did not work nor did one of the phones. I had to have maintenance come in and fix. Turns out the bulbs were not screwed in and the phone was unplugged. The remote was also hidden in book under the tv. You would think they would check these things during room turnover.
Amenities – There is no ice machine. The ice bucket they give you can comfortably fit one soda can and some ice, nothing else. The card keys are hit or miss. You have to use your key to enter in the executive wing and then again for your room. It takes an average of 3 swipes to get it to register. Amazingly, there is no in-room entertainment. There is a nice tv with cable (including one in the bathroom) but no movies to rent or other things you would expect in a hotel room. The website also says there is a spa (as does the book in the room) but when you call them they state they are offsite and only offer massages and nothing else that they advertise such as facials. They also advertise free wifi. Note that this is only free for a short period of time and then there is a charge (3 days is all you get for free, so if you are staying longer be prepared to pay).
Reservations – The room I reserved was not what was not what I got even though what I reserved was available. I had to pay a higher rate than I was quoted for my reservation.
Staff – Easily, the most disturbing issue is the staff. Upon check-in I made it very clear that I did not want anyone in my room during my stay without me present. This included housekeeping and maintenance. I also ensured that the Do Not Disturb sign was up at all times. None of this mattered. Here is why.
After learning that there was no on-site spa, I contacted the concierge and asked where I could get a foot massage (I spent the day walking the Forbidden Palace). They made me a reservation for 9:30 at night for an hour massage offsite. Upon return I found that my room had been entered. ‘Housekeeping’ came in during the hour and half I was away and made my bed and did other typical housekeeping stuff despite my DND sign and my request to the front desk. In addition to the cleaning, *someone* opened my laptop, took two of my SDCards with photos of the Forbidden Palace and went through my things. This was not just moving my things to ‘clean’, there were things that were in my suitcase that were taken out. I immediately contacted the front desk and was told there was nothing they could do since the housekeeping shift just ended 30 minutes earlier. They would have to wait until morning to confront. I don’t feel this was a random coincidence. The concierge knew I would be gone for that short period of time and I have never heard of housekeeping cleaning rooms at 10:00PM at night let alone ‘pouncing’ on a room once the guest has left and then ending their shift upon completion. I asked the front desk to contact the police and they said they needed to discuss internally first and look at security footage. The SDCards are only worth $100 or so but my photos from the Forbidden Palace are irreplaceable. I also feel extremely violated, manipulated and neglected. I should never have left anything of value in the room, even for the short period of time I was gone and this was my mistake.
Another problem with the concierge is that they don’t watch out for you. I asked the concierge to write down the address and name of the Forbidden Palace in Chinese so that there would be no issue getting there. They did and got me a taxi and sent me on my way. The taxi dropped me off a mile from the Palace and charged me a flat rate of 300 Yuan as negotiated by the concierge. I had no context so I thought this was an accurate rate. When I took a taxi back to the hotel they charged 21 Yuan (off the meter). I would not be surprised if the concierge is taking kickbacks from sending people off with ‘flat rates’.
Unfortunately for me, I trusted in the ‘Hilton’ name. This was a mistake. In the future, I will do whatever I can to avoid the ‘Hilton’ name and am sharing this same review with multiple sites including our corporate travel department to help others to avoid such a ripoff. If you are considering staying at the Hilton Beijing, please reconsider. There are many other hotels in the area. In general, if you do stay at any Hilton, do not trust the staff or leave anything of value you in room even for a short period of time. Take your laptop with you to their offsite spa or to go eat downstairs. If you are thinking about patronizing other Hilton properties, please consider this feedback as they obviously do not have consistent standards (at least abroad).
Some parting tips:
1. Take all valuables with you no matter how short the trip. Even when you go to the spa or coffee shop.
2. Lock what you do leave in the room up. Take a picture of your room and the belongings you do leave with a digital camera. Compare when you return
3. Put a handwritten Do Not Disturb sign on your door. Warn your neighbors and ask them to let you know if they see people go into your room.
4. Do not use the in-house concierge. Walk across the street and use a different hotel.
5. Do not let any hotel staff know about your plans
6. Try not to let any hotel staff see you leave the property
7. Do not stay at the Hilton Beijing. The Four Seasons is right across the street.

4  Thank A_Default_User
Michael N, General Manager at Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear A_Default_User,

Greetings from Hilton Beijing!

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies in relation to the experience you received during your recent stay. I appreciate you taking the time to share your review and am very sorry that we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. Guest security is our top priority and your feedback has been taken very seriously.

I would be grateful to have the opportunity to follow up directly with you regarding your experience at a time convenient to you. Please make contact directly at michael.nagel@hilton.com.

Michael Nagel

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Enjoyed the Diamond member service specially the Executive lounge. The service was excellent and the room wonderful.
Only suggestion for improvement is that the heating in the rooms could not be turned off so the room was very warm and the only option to cool it down for the night was to open the windows and let the poluted air in.
Otherwise most certainly a place to recommend for a stay in Beijing. Very central

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HappyTravellerOmaha
Simon A, Director of Operations at Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear HappyTravellerOmaha,

Greetings from Hilton Beijing!

Thank you for your generous review and compliments of Hilton Beijing, Your loyalty as a Hilton HHonors Diamond member is valuable to us and truly appreciated.

My team extend their heartfelt thanks for your special mention of their hospitality and service. We are also happy to find that our Executive room and lounge were among the highlights of your stay. We appreciate your feedback on the room temperature, which has been shared with the team for review and prompt corrective action.

We look forward to your next stay with us to deliver a better stay experience to you.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good location (next to the metro station) and fair view to the city of Beijing. The apartment was very well kept. Good breakfast with many options of ocidental and oriental food.
Room service in general was good. I would go back there! Nice 4* hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Switzerland-RD
Simon A, Director of Operations at Hilton Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Switzerland-RD,

Greetings from Hilton Beijing!

It is our pleasure to be your home away from home around Christmas! It is very encouraging for the team to realize that their warm hospitality and professional service contributed towards your pleasant stay experience.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we continue to be at your service and look forward to seeing you again soon.