“Outstanding Service from Beijing Grand Hyatt Staff!”

Grand Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #40 of 6,491 Hotels in Beijing
Maui, Hawaii
“Outstanding Service from Beijing Grand Hyatt Staff!”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Five weeks in China and Southeast Asia was a trip we had planned for more than two years. We signed up for a group land tour of China and a cruise thru Southeast Asia. We scheduled three extra days in Beijing independently to get over jet lag, visit sights not covered by the group tour, and shop at the Pearl and Silk Markets.

Normally, we avoid large American hotels in foreign countries. We prefer smaller, local hotels, B & B’s, inns - where you can mingle and meet residents of the country. However, we knew that in China, we would be at a huge disadvantage because we did not read or speak Mandarin. After careful research, we chose the Beijing Grand Hyatt Hotel. This was an excellent choice and the Grand Hyatt met all our travel needs.

First – the Grand Hyatt’s staff, (from the doormen, reception, telephone operators), all spoke excellent English. We are not ‘ugly Americans’ who expect the entire world to speak and understand English, but we found that most of Asia has not dealt with many visitors from the west. Our taxi ride from Beijing Airport was 35 minutes of uncomfortable silence. Luckily, we had printed off the name and address of the hotel in Chinese. The hotel is very helpful by providing Chinese/English business address cards and writing out in Chinese, tourist sites you want to visit. The hotel caters to western businessmen and tourists, so everyone we came in contact with had a good grasp of the English language. We spent three weeks touring China, and no other hotel (and these were all 5 star hotels) had staff members who were as fluent in English. They might have one or two members who are fluent, but if they are off-duty, a game of charades ensues. It is easier to convert currency, ask for extra towels or pillows, eat in hotel restaurants or make other common requests. The Grand Hyatt staff members are friendly, and seem to anticipate your needs. One cloudy morning, I asked a doorman if he thought it would rain later in the day. He said he would check for me. He left and returned with a weather forecast and a hotel umbrella which he said I could use for the day. No fee, no name request nor hotel room number collected. This genuine concern to make our visit pleasant occurred more than once during our stay.

Second – the rooms are very large. A very hard, king size bed, armchair and ottoman, mini bar, and refrigerator are in each room. The room is worthy of 5 stars. The hotel has 825 rooms, but the hotel does not feel immense.

Third – the hotel is on a major Beijing boulevard, but sits way back from the traffic, so you do not hear traffic noise. The location is two blocks from the Forbidden City and is close to other central Beijing tourist venues. There is a very large upscale mall beneath the hotel, and the hotel is located at one end of the Wangfujing Pedestrian Shopping Street. There are plentiful shops and restaurants around the hotel. The convenient Wangfujing subway stop is located under the hotel.

Fourth – check out the hotel web site for room specials. We were able to sign up for a “stay 2 nights and pay for 1” special that Hyatt Hotels was running at the time. We did not have an upper floor ‘Club’ room, but breakfast for two was included. The all you can eat breakfast buffet had western, as well as Asian choices. This included eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, eggs, omelets, cereal, Chinese dumplings, noodles, rice, duck, fish, chicken, congee, soup, fresh fruit, pastries, juices, coffee, and tea. This was a great deal, because the breakfast alone costs more than $40 US/person. Try to get breakfast included in your room rate. We did not care to eat in the expensive hotel restaurants.

Final comments – the Chinese government dictates the currency exchange rate. Therefore, the rates available in the hotel are the same rates available at the local banks. The hotel does not charge a fee to convert money, where the airport exchange centers do charge a fee. The hotel exchange rate was much higher than what we had gotten in the USA. If you exchange too many US dollars into Chinese currency (yuans), you need to save your receipt. The receipt is proof that you exchanged money in China. However, you cannot reconvert the yuans back into US dollars at the hotel, it has to be done @ the international airport when you leave China (and pay a fee). The Grand Hyatt currency exchange services are at the front desk and it was convenient to change money as you needed at the front desk, instead of looking for a bank (especially on the weekend or during the 8 day national holiday in October when banks were closed).

Two free bottles of water are brought to your room daily, since the tap water is not potable. You can use it to brush your teeth as long as you do not swallow. We purchased additional bottles of water from the small grocery store in the Oriental Plaza Mall underneath the hotel.

China is on a different voltage system than the USA. The Grand Hyatt offers both voltage systems. We suspect the reason is because the hotel’s clientele are mostly western visitors.

The hotel claims to have a fantastic indoor swimming pool. We never saw the pool. We were too tired from touring Beijing. We cannot comment on it.

We would highly recommend the Beijing Grand Hyatt because of their friendly staff, location, ambience, and hotel amenities. Bravo to them for a job well done!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MauiGlobeTrotters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Because it was my first trip to Beijing, I elected to have the hotel organize a car to collect me from the airport. This was a really good move - they met me at the plane, escorted me through passport control & customs and then used a VIP channel out to a special car-park where the limousine was waiting. Would definitely recommend this to anyone travelling to mainland China for the first time, as taxi drivers don't always have much English.

Hotel location is great, about 5-10mins walk from the Forbidden City (which you have to visit!)

Reception process not perfect: although my bag was picked up from the car and taken to concierge, there was a queue at check-in which lasted almost 10mins, with just two or three staff handling customers. For a luxury hotel there should NEVER be a wait like that. When I got to the desk, I was told that my Club Room meant I needed to check in upstairs at the Club Floor, but bizarrely without an escort I would not be able to get up there as the elevators were key-operated. So the guy from the front desk came with me, meaning presumably an even longer wait for anyone behind me trying to check in. Bad planning, anyone? Since the hotel had arranged the car, they knew when I was due to arrive, so what SHOULD have happened was that when I was met at the hotel, I could have been escorted straight upstairs.

Room itself was nice - a mini-suite, with living area separated from sleeping area by a sliding screen. Internet access was expensive here, something I resent since I'm certain everyone staying here needs it and the hotel was not at all cheap.

I didn't get much of a chance to use the leisure facilities, unfortunately, although I did have an in-room massage which was pretty good.

The Chinese restaurant is excellent - we had a vast array of dishes including the Peking Duck, everything was cooked to perfection. I'm told it's one of the best Peking Ducks in Beijing.

Breakfast in the Club lounge was also fine.

Drinks in the lobby were very expensive - something like RMB 120 ($20) for a glass of wine.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Russell N
washington, dc
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Great central location, incredible hotel. Pool, spa, fitness center, food -- all were perfect. Very elegant and worth the stay. We stayed on executive level where breakfast, drinks, appetizers (enough for dinner!) and internet are comped. Well worth it.

Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 2, 2009

This hotel has a great location within walking distance of Tian'an Men Square and the Forbidden City. It is even closer to Wangfujing an the night market. The staff were mostly helpful and friendly albeit language in China is frequently a problem. Our room was a decent size (family suite) although the decor was getting a little dated. The restaurants were also good and the swimming pool and leisure facilities were fantastic. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 4 nights last month. It is a great hotel. Location is great (only a mile from the Forbidden City), has plenty of shopping around, silk market is about 10 mins away by cab, restaurants are solid - i read some people saying that ehy arent cheap...but it is a 5 star hotel so do you really expect? The concierge was very good at getting my group last mintue dinner reservations and service from housekeeping and in room dining was also great. Everything was pointing to a 5 star review...and it would have been if it wasnt for the check in. I booked a non-smoking king and when I arrived I was told that I hadnt reserved a non-smoking room and that they didnt have any avaliable. Long story short...15 minutes of me pushing back...well I had my non-smoking king. I can accept that mistakes can be made...but this exact same situation also happened to a colleague of mine who was on the same trip.

Long and short...I would stay here again. But I wouldnt expect it to be 100% hassle free.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank still_call_aust_home
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The hotel has two types of suites - worlds apart! The renovated suites are on the Club floors (17 and 18th) - these are modern, well appointed, comfortable, and pleasant to stay in. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The other suites on the other floors (16th floor and below) date to the original opening of the hotel circa 2001 - they are worn, feels dated and not at all pleasant. Well worth paying the additional charge to be on the Club floor (approx USD50 more), and enjoy daily breakfast and all-day refreshments.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed October 29, 2009

LOCATION
- A 10min walk to Wangfujin (shopping area), and 20min walk to Tianmen and Forbidden Palace... what can I ask for?
- Malls connected to the hotel dinner and high-end shopping.

SERVICE & STAFF
- Good, friendly...

ROOM/TOILET & CLEANLINESS
- Room is clean
- Bed is comfortable, slept real well !
- Cleanliness of bathroom is great, amenities will supplied. If only they provide bath salt for the tub.

FOOD
- Selection was ok, local and western
- Food is generally tasty...

OTHERS
- The in-door pool is impressive, bring along your swim suit. The kids would love it.

RECOMMENDATION
Great hotel... stay no where else

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo