“Good, comfortable hotel close to Forbidden City”

Grand Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #42 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Central Portugal, Portugal
“Good, comfortable hotel close to Forbidden City”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a good hotel, very large with hundreds of rooms. It is not too far from the Forbidden City which you can reach on foot (15-20 minute walk). There is also a cash machine at Standard Chartered Bank just opposite the hotel if you need to withdraw cash.
The rooms are quite standard, nicely decorated, and the public areas of the hotel look very appealing, tastefully decorated. Breakfast was good with a huge choice of cooked and uncooked food, including different types of bread, cereal, jam, cheese, croissants, and more.
The swimming pool was a real treat as it wasn't your usual boring rectangular pool, but one built to an odd, swirling shape and set in an oasis type surrounding with palm trees and exotic vegetation, so it was like swimming in the middle of a jungle, with imitation rocks and artificial cliffs and waterfalls right next to you.
The spa area is spacious and clean with plenty of room to change and put your clothes in the locker. Men and women each have separate spa facilities, so you don't need to worry about being seen naked here. The spa even has a little machine for drying your swimming trunks. Within the men's spa, there is a sauna and deep basin pool to relax in, all with soothing background music.
This is a typically good 5-star Beijing hotel, and I enjoyed my time there, especially the spa.

Room Tip: They're all good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Michelle L, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for recommending Grand Hyatt Beijing on Tripadvisor and for your detailed description of Club Oasis' landscaped indoor resort-styled swimming pool with waterfalls; and we are thrilled to hear that you had also enjoyed the spa, sauna and jacuzzi there. Once again, thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt Beijing and we look forward to be of service in the near future. Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Nicely appointed hotel close to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. Good quality and broad selections at the breakfast buffet. The general manager of Grand Café and Da Giorgio, Jos, was exceptional. He took the time to offer suggestions of sights to see, and even where to stay on another stop on our China trip. The pool is quite spectacular - designed to feel like a grotto - and has two large hot tubs set inside 'caves'. The fitness area was also well put together with a large number of equipment. We stayed in a suite with two bedrooms for our family of four (children aged six and eight). It was spacious and very clean. We would not recommend the afternoon tea - huge disappointment for us, but the lady in charge could not speak any English, so she could not communicate to us what it entailed. Having a written menu would have helped. We also had issues obtaining a taxi at the front of the hotel even though three taxis were sitting there; they all seemed to want to sit there for a break, and the staff at the front were not particularly helpful. Again, a bit of an issue with the language barrier perhaps. In spite of a couple disappointments, I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for recommending Grand Hyatt Beijing in spite of the few items you had brought up in your review on Tripadvisor. Indeed Jos has been highly commended by many guests for his attentive service. Regarding the language issue, please be assured that training is an integral part of Grand Hyatt Beijing in supporting both the personal and professional development of every employee, and we will continue to improve in this area. Best wishes.
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The very first person working for Hyatt met me right at the plane exit in Beijing airport, so I followed tall elegantly dressed young lady, who helped me to clear immigration in fastest way (I joined the Q for APEC business card, which is usually not very long, but she found even shorter one just nearby, hidden by corner) So her guidance lead me to black Audi limo, where she waved me goodby and I was taken care by driver who was thoughtful enough to move seat in front of me so that I have biggest legroom available, and pointed out hidden in the armrest bottles of water. After smooth ride the check-in to hotel in the 17th floor was as well smooth and fast. You can sip a cup of tea in comfortable chair while the staff fills in the form and copies your passport. Newly renovated room is spacious and has very fresh feeling to it. No hassle with power socket adapters as hotel installed the type that can take in any power plug.
The only hiccup I had during my stay was an Internet connection in the room, which disappeared at one moment and was restored after call to service line.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your complimentary description on Grand Hyatt Beijing's attentive service and attention to details. Thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Beijing and for recommending us on Tripadvisor. Regarding your point on the internet, I will be sure to bring up to my our operations team, who will look into it. Very best regards.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for two nights in a two bedroom room. Two adults and two kids (7 and 9 years). The service at check in (Thomas) was brilliant. Room quality was great and the breakfast first class. The pool area is amazing and great for the kids to feel like they are on holiday after spending hours travelling and walking the Wall and Palaces etc. I would fully recommend this hotel from a service, ambience and location perspective.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aaron S
Thank you for recommending Grand Hyatt Beijing on Tripadvisor, especially our unique room type - the Grand Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite, which has been very popular among families and larger groups. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family had enjoyed your stay with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back. Best regards.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here on business and had executive lounge access. They were very helpful when our onward flights were cancelled and we stayed a further night in a suite. They were also very accommodating about providing a mattress comforter to soften the bed as I was recovering from a bad back accident. They even arranged for one to be fitted at our next grand Hyatt stay in Shanhai. The lounge provides good basic breakfast and evening snacks and drinks. We booked a good tour to the Great Wall through them and our taxi to the airport which all worked very well. It is a good area for shops and for visiting the Forbidden City. I would recommend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michelle L, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience at Grand Hyatt Beijing on Tripadvisor and thank you for recommending us. We hope that you (your back) are feeling better and are truly humbled by your complimentary remarks on our hospitality and on the Grand Club Lounge. Best regards.
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt three times and the hotel staff have been impeccable - polite, helpful, smiling, and professional. Everyone goes out of their way to say Hello and provide useful information. The facilities are superb from the restaurants to the fitness centre to the remarkable and unique swimming pool. I stayed at the Club level this time for 5 days and was impressed with the personal service, such as photocopying business documents and making reservations. In addition, the food at breakfast and evening hors d'ouvres was delicious. I conducted several business meetings at the Club and in the Noble Court restaurant and the staff were unobtrusive and efficient while the food and beverages were excellent. My wife went shopping at the mall that is connected to the hotel so she never had to worry about weather and taxis. The location, service, and facilities are absolutely five-star and I look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Stay at the Club level if you intend to stay indoors and do business at the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. Your remarkable recommendation of Grand Hyatt Beijing really goes a long way in helping to promote the hotel internationally and we feel truly humbled and very thankful. On behalf of the team here, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Very best regards
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and overall it is a good Hyatt. However, I just arrived off a heavily delayed flight at 2am and the service at the airport and with the Hyatt car was excellent, but at the hotel there was nobody to help. Eventually a doorman came and took my luggage to the counter, but then disappeared. The young female receptionist helped me with my luggage - and I also found it unbelievable that there was nobody around to help her (leaving the front desk unmanned while she helped me). Second time I have had issues with luggage at this hotel. I have Platinum Gold Passport status and had booked a Club Room - and I expect more. Almost gave three stars, but the overall hotel is too good for that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
So sorry to hear about your front desk experience upon your arrival. Please be assured that this will be communicated to the relevant departments and corrective actions will be taken accordingly. Thank you so much for this review on Tripadvisor, your confidence in us and the four star rating. Best regards.