“Good hotel - but don't arrive off a late flight” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hyatt Beijing

Grand Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #34 of 6,445 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong
“Good hotel - but don't arrive off a late flight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and overall it is a good Hyatt. However, I just arrived off a heavily delayed flight at 2am and the service at the airport and with the Hyatt car was excellent, but at the hotel there was nobody to help. Eventually a doorman came and took my luggage to the counter, but then disappeared. The young female receptionist helped me with my luggage - and I also found it unbelievable that there was nobody around to help her (leaving the front desk unmanned while she helped me). Second time I have had issues with luggage at this hotel. I have Platinum Gold Passport status and had booked a Club Room - and I expect more. Almost gave three stars, but the overall hotel is too good for that.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Michelle L, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
So sorry to hear about your front desk experience upon your arrival. Please be assured that this will be communicated to the relevant departments and corrective actions will be taken accordingly. Thank you so much for this review on Tripadvisor, your confidence in us and the four star rating. Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Rooms are small but well appointed. The Club Lounge happy hour appetizers are rather repetitive and disappointing, but if you are more I the rested in the free drinks than the food you'll do just fine.
I personally hate the lobby and the restaurants in the Mezzanine. They are so drafty and open that you don't feel cozy no matter where you sit. The other restaurants are very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. Your comments on the Club Lounge is carefully noted and will be communicated to the relevant departments for any necessary actions. As for the guestrooms, we are very pleased to update you that we have embarked on a remodelling programme and look forward to welcoming you back to more functional and spacious rooms. Warm regards.
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Back in May,2013, I have travelled to Beijing for business with family. While we stayed at Grand Hyatt BJ, my wife was not feeling well at one late night time. Hotel lobby manager quickly sent one of their staff and dispatched a hotel car to send my wife to ER for the urgent care. She received proper treatments and recovered next day fortunately. Hotel staff was so great and he basically escorted us and helped us from hospital registry through sending us back to the hotel room to assure my wife is well taken care! I will always remember the greeting from hotel lobby manager when we came back from the hospital after midnight. She said - what else could we do for you to feel better? Please let us know. This is kind of the superior step up service like taking care of your own family when they are ill without questions asked, but help out right away when needed! We really appreciate the kindness and support from Grand Hyatt Beijing! I will go back to stay there again and again! By the way, no charge for everything they did!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. Importantly, we hope that your wife is feeling better and has fully recovered. We really appreciate your kind compliments on our service and hospitality. At Grand Hyatt Beijing, every employee strives to be fully attentive to each guest and to deliver top notch service, and we certainly look forward to be of service in the near future. Best regards.
Appenzell, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

good hotel, very central, nicely built , clean and comfortable
check-in was uncomplicated and fast - so was check-out
the infrastructure is perfect and provides everything one wants
different restaurants and bars

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Michelle L, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for recommending Grand Hyatt Beijing, and for your positive comments on our hotel infrastructure, which includes the location and the overall check-in and check-out process, and restaurants. Best wishes.
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Fantastic hotel. Pity that I stayed only one night for local business. Best location in Beijing, connected to a large shopping mall, next to Wangfujing street, and down the road from Tiananmen Square and the Forbidding City. Next to Wangfujing metro station. I took the airport train and subway to the hotel. Not a good idea if you have large luggage. Metro was very crowded.

Room was terrific, very modern and well equipped, excellent king sized bed, large bathroom, large tub and separate shower. Free WiFi that was pretty fast. Most 5 star hotels charge for internet figuring if you can afford the room, you can afford another $20-30/day internet.

I did not use it, but the pool was fantastic, like a simulated lake with islands and moving water. It was located underground in the basement with the gym and sauna. The locker room was very nice and clean. The gym was small, but open 24h and with new machines. The jacuzzi was big but the water was not hot enough for my liking.

They have cheap rates $199/night but require immediate payment and non-refundable. Otherwise over $250/night.

1 Thank James S
Dear Reviewer, thank you for taking time to review Grand Hyatt Beijing on Tripadvisor and for this complimentary review on our strategic location, and spacious and modern guestroom. During your future trips to Beijing, we look forward to serving you and certainly hope you will have more time to enjoy Club Oasis and the other hotel facilities and restaurants. Best regards.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently spent three days at the Grand Hyatt Beijing on a trip that was part business and part pleasure. I travel a great deal, spending 40+ nights a year in hotels and have stayed at several different properties in Beijing in the last couple of years. The Grand Hyatt excels in terms of both service and location. The attention to detail from the staff and the welcoming atmosphere simply cannot be beat. When traveling far from home, these attributes are particularly important and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else when visiting Beijing.

The hotel is located in the center of Beijing making it convenient for tourists visiting the Forbidden City and other attractions. It is also on top of a subway station and high-end shopping mall so local travel is quiet easy. (The Beijing subway is very easy to use—all signage is in English as well as Chinese, trains run every couple of minutes, and it is clean and safe. It is also extremely cheap, depending on the exchange rate, about $1.20 US. Although taxis are also cheap, the horrible traffic in Beijing often makes subways a better choice.)

While the location is great, the Grand Hyatt truly excels in service. I was traveling with my elderly father and we requested some special arrangements. The management team and the entire staff went out of their way to help; one of the managers even personally came to the Club lounge to welcome us and make sure we had been well-taken care of. Despite spending little time at the hotel, the Club floor concierge knew our names and greeted us personally whenever she saw us.

We had a two bedroom corner suite with great views; it was larger than many New York apartments! The room also had two large bathrooms making it very convenient and providing plenty of privacy. As other reviewers have noted, Hyatt is in the process of upgrading their guest rooms and the older rooms are showing some wear. However, even in the older rooms, the beds are extremely comfortable and the linens (especially the towels) are among the best.

We had breakfast in the Club lounge one day and in the hotel restaurant the other. The Club has a slightly smaller selection but is much more relaxed and pleasant. Both are ample and sort of typical for the class of hotel. I would avoid the Grand Café in the evenings as it can be noisy and lacking in the refined atmosphere and service that is prevalent in other areas of the hotel.

While the service is the best thing about the hotel, the pool and fitness center are a close second. The fitness center is open 24 hours which is a real help if you are traveling from outside Asia and are awake at odd hours. There are numerous cardio machines, free weights, and a separate stretching area. The entire place is kept extremely clean—machines are wiped down after each guest and have a fresh bottle of water and clean headphones placed on them for the next user. Do take time to visit the fitness center and pool even if it is just to look.

I have stayed at a few other tops hotels in Beijing, while they vary in their strengths, the combination of service, location, and amenities, makes the Hyatt my first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank runkate
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, and for your detailed and complimentary description of Grand Hyatt Beijing's "strengths, the combination of service, location and amenities". We really appreciate your valuable recommendation, which goes a long way in helping to promote Grand Hyatt Beijing internationally. We are truly humbled to be your first choice, and look forward to be of service in the near future. Best regards.
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have stayed at Grand Hyatt, Beijing, many times and I like this hotel for it's service and location. However, on this recent trip, A pleasant surprise turn not so pleasant. I was pleasantly surprise upon check-in that I receive a note from the hotel manager sharing some updates, including the dining area where i could go for my complimentary breakfast. 2 were listed and one was at "Made-in-China" where breakfast was suppose to be serve from 7am. I was disappointed that when I plan to go there for breakfast one morning, Wednesday, i think, at about 7:15am. The place was shut. I did not check with any of the hotel staff but I thought it took the wow effect out from the otherwise pleasant stay this time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your support of Grand Hyatt Beijing and your review. It is our pleasure and honour to welcome you to our hotel and was delighted to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay in our hotel. That said please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused with the letter highlighting the breakfast in Made in China which is currently closed during the summer, regret about the miscommunication.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide us with your input and we look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Beijing in the hopefully not too distant future.

Philippe Frey