“Superb Location and Service - If Biased for Business Travelers”

Grand Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #42 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Gilbert, Arizona
“Superb Location and Service - If Biased for Business Travelers”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just recently spent 4 nights as a family vacation. We couldn't find a better combination of location, value, and class. We loved the convenience of being a stone throw away from the best of Wangfujing, and that being literally on top of an underground shopping mall with plenty of eateries (pacifier for kids who couldn't 100% shake the addiction of American fast foods), plus easy access to the subways. The rooms, the lobby, and the restaurants were all top-notch. However, everything is just a tad too business-friendly and for that a bit too up-tight. The only exception is the hotel swimming pool with an unusally whimsical yet elegant design and huge size, which suits our water-crazy kids just fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Odysseydelux
Michelle L, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Reviewer, thank you so much for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor and we really appreciate your superb review and for labelling Grand Hyatt Beijing as the "best combination of location, value and class". Looking forward to serving you and your family again in the near future. Best Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed for one night, last weekend at the Grand Hyatt Beijing and liked it. The hotel is well located in the central part of Beijing, easy to access commercial areas as well as attractions like Forbidden City and Tianenmen Square (15-20 minutes walk away). If you are in the mood for shopping, there is a mall below with top end brands and a popular shopping street close by.

We were upgraded to a premium room… Decent sized room and bathroom, but I am not sure what was “premium” about it, except that it had a nice view of the fountain upfront. Really appreciated the thoughtful touches like several multi-country plug points throughout the room, a shelf by the WC to keep your book/ newspaper/ blackberry/ phone, two sets of toothpaste and brushes replenished daily, etc. My only gripe was that the shower faucet kept tilting in its stand and could not be used as an overhead shower and had to be hand held.

The tropical looking pool area seemed lovely, though we didn’t have enough time to go for a swim or lounge by the pool.

Service was pretty efficient but could do with better training (e.g. housekeeping staff were shouting loudly at each other in the corridor).

Another attraction for me were the multiple dining options that the hotel had to offer. We had a drink at the Red Moon bar, which has a fantastic ambiance, and dined twice at the Made in China restaurant, which was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kanwalkwilltravel
Dear Reviewer, thank you for complimenting on Grand Hyatt Beijing's strategic location, being close to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, as well as just steps away from Wangfujing shopping and food street. Thank you also for your positive review of our Grand Premium Room, similarly, many other travellers also appreciate the USB charging outlets in the room. At the same time, your feedback on the shower faucet and the housekeeping staff is well-noted and will be communicated to the operations team for planning towards corrective steps. Indeed, the Club Oasis resort-style swimming pool and our award-winning Made in China restaurant and Redmoon lounge also score very high among our guests. Thank you again for choosing Grand Hyatt Beijing and best regards.
Singapore
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've stayed here at least five times already, and every time I check in and enter my room I ask myself why I came back. The purpose of this most recent trip was business, and as the conference that I was attending was being held in the hotel, it didn't make sense to stay anywhere else. Had I been given free choice on a private or business trip, I would not choose to stay here.

The best thing about the Grand Hyatt Beijing is its location. The hotel is conveniently located inside Beijing Oriental Plaza, which is bordered by the Wangfujing pedestrian shopping street that is popular with visitors from all over the country. Tiananmen Square is only 1km away, with the Forbidden City and the Palace Museum all within a short walk (although one probably be better off not breathing the air outside).

For the second time in a row, I was given a "suite" room. While most people would be happy to get this upgrade, I actually prefer the smaller, normal hotel rooms. The door of the suite I had opens up to a long, empty living/dining area that is dimly lit and bare. There is a sofa and coffee table at the far end and a small round dining table and two chairs by the wall. The kitchen makes a longer stay more bearable, but apart from the sink, there is only a microwave and a refrigerator; so at first glance it may appear to be a fully stocked kitchen, but it really isn't. The room is pretty standard, but the mattress is harder than at most other 5 star hotels, and the desk is small with fewer power sockets than I'm used to. The bathroom has all one would expect of a 5 star hotel but was really unimpressive. The towels didn't have a very "fresh" smell, and I really didn't like the cheap soap/shampoo they offer. On the surface the room has everything one would expect, but it felt a bit dark and run down and in need of a facelift.

Front desk service was fine, but one day I had housekeeping knocking on my door at 9:30 AM asking whether they could make up the room. I was in my room working at the time and asked for them to come back in about 40 minutes as I would be leaving for a meeting soon. Although they agreed, I was very surprised when I returned to my room at 2:30 PM to find my room in the state that I had left it. On another day, housekeeping knocked on my door at around 5:30 and asked whether I'd like turn-down service; I informed them that I was just getting ready to leave and that they could turn down the room in about 10 minutes. When I returned to the room later in the evening, again nothing had been done. I would say the service in this hotel is spotty. There is little attention to detail, and management still has a lot to teach its staff. (one example is the staff at the car service counter interrupting my question to shout to his colleague in the back room.) I was in a rush one morning and wanted to order a quick muffin and tea in the lobby cafe. The waitress told me they didn't have the blueberry muffins I wanted but struggled in English to describe what flavor they did have. I ordered it anyways; it turned out to be raspberry.

One of the main attractions at this hotel for me has always been "Made in China," the hotel's Chinese restaurant that specializes in Northern Chinese cuisine. Last year when I stayed at the hotel, I was unable to secure a reservation for the restaurant even though I tried booking a few days before my arrival. During my entire three-day stay last time I tried to get a reservation but was unsuccessful. On the last evening after my colleagues and I checked out and were waiting for our scheduled ride to the airport, we decided to stop by to see if we could drop in without a reservation and were pleasantly surprised to be offered a table that had just opened up due to a cancellation. The Northern Chinese dishes here are amazing, and the Peking Duck here is to die for....at least that was how I remembered it. On this trip, however, the restaurant seemed very bare; it was not packed, like I had always remembered it, and we had no problems getting a reservation or even walking in. The food was still good, but nothing like I had remembered it. Perhaps the key chefs have changed?!

On a positive note, the Redmoon bar offered a nice environment for evening drinks. It's located right behind the main lobby, next to the bell desk and car service reservation desk. The dim lighting in Redmoon is soothing, and there is a "hidden" lounge area with comfortable lounge chairs at the far end of the bar, separated by a wall that stealthily slides open to reveal this very private, intimate area. On the night that I went, there was a live performance by four ladies who performed a mix of Chinese and English songs accompanied by classical Chinese instruments. I thought that was pretty cool.

Overall, this hotel is rough around the edges and lacks refinement. The location is excellent, but the rooms pale in comparison to some of the nicer hotels in Beijing.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been completely renovated recently, while others are a bit run down. There are also...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank John T
Michelle L, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
While we are thankful that you had selected Grand Hyatt Beijing during your recent stay in the Chinese capital, we are very sorry to hear about your wait on the room service. Regarding the guestroom, we are very pleased to inform you that we are undergoing a complete guestroom remodelling and really hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to experience our new rooms in the near future. Thank you for commending on our strategic location, at the heart of Beijing. Best regards.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The service is good. the food (chinese type) is good. the location is good, the room is very quiet and clean. compare to other 5 star hotel in beijing, there is the first and second choice for business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your five-star rating of Grand Hyatt Beijing on Tripadvisor. We are honoured that you have selected our hotel as a number one choice, based on our location and peaceful guestrooms. Very much appreciated and best regards.
Shanghai
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I'm not saying that I have stayed in every five star hotel in Beijing, but I've stayed in at least two Ritz, one Mariott, one St. Regis and one Westin before, and Hyatt is the last I would consider next time I visit.

To start, room is tiny -- if I put my gouge up, then I can't really use the sofa. This is a more common problem for hotels in Hong Kong but I never expected in Beijing.

Then the bathroom -- it probably need to be renovated. The toilet (i cant recognize the brandh flush isn't very good, and (maybe just my room) the bathroom smell like a public one, shower enclosure doesn't close tight so water is all over the place after I shower.

Last but not least, service is sub-standard. I booke in room breakfast at 8am once, but the food never arrived. I called them at 8:30 and was told that kitchen is too busy and they don't know when it'll be ready. Actually the room service department never picked up my call, I had to call the 'emergency line' to get someone to answer.

No need to say, I'm not planning to stay here again if there's any choice. Unfortunately it does have a very central location and its a popular destination for conferences.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank yixin l
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your recommendation on our Redmoon lounge, which is very popular among both our leisure and business travellers. We appreciate your detailed feedback on the housekeeping service. While we are sorry to hear about your experience, please be assured that your valuable comments are highly regarded and actions will be taken to address continuous improvements. As Grand Hyatt Beijing has embarked on a complete remodelling on our guestrooms, we would really cherish the opportunity to welcome your return in a neat future. Best Regards.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Amazing stay from start to finish. Very quiet rooms, within walking distance of all the great sites in Beijing. Our view to the north was great. My pillows was a bit too soft, but no problem, I requested two different ones and they brought them up pronto. I also didn't have the correct adapter for my flat iron, and they brought up an adapter for that as well. Definitely use or at least visit the pool area - great for kids! - and you will be amazed. The breakfast was fabulous (but I only gave it 4 stars, because the Kepenski in east Beijing, where we stayed for 3 nights, has a much better buffet!) I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request a room looking north for a great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kimmisk
Michelle L, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Wow, thanks for this amazing review of Grand Hyatt Beijing's pronto customer service and very quiet guestrooms on Tripadvisor. We truly value your recommendation as it goes a long way in helping to promote our hotel, both locally and internationally. Once again, we thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to serving you in the near future. Best regards.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a reliable Hyatt but a step up as this is a flagship putting the best step forward. Near the convenient Wangfujing subway stop. Easy access from airport via high speed train and 2 changes. The fitness center is first class with great free weights, machines, stretching and all in separate areas. The large pool in a tropical setting is one of the best pools in any hotel anywhere. 55 meter length is great for laps. Locker room has spacious hot pool plus dry and wet sauna also roomy.
Leisure area in lobby has afternoon tea and high qualifying live music.

Rooms very good and free internet is good quality.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for reviewing us, and providing insightful and useful recommendations on Grand Hyatt Beijing to the readers of Tripadvisor. Namely, our strategic location, spacious guestrooms, hospitality and Club Oasis fitness centre and resort-style swimming points score very high among our guests. Look forward to be of service in the very near future. Best wishes.