“A truly exceptional hotel!”

Grand Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #44 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for nine nights in August. From beginning to end, our experience surpassed our expectations in many ways. The location is perfect. We had a deluxe king room which was roomy and immaculate (my wife is a stickler, and really checks!) The service is impeccable, and every staff member we came in contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. One night my son wanted to play a DVD on his computer and use one of the two TVs as a monitor. A hotel tech person came to the room with the appropriate cable, but did not have an adapter for the Mac computer. She left, and later another tech person came and set up a DVD player!
Returning to this hotel after a day of climbing the Great Wall was very refreshing, especially due to the indoor resort-style pool (with two hot tubs!) This became our oasis in the early mornings and late evenings.
We had free wireless access to the internet and could upgrade to a faster connection if we desired, but it was not necessary.
There were a few negatives. Even for a luxury hotel, the $40 price for breakfast buffet is a bit high. We booked a private tour of the Great Wall through the hotel, but we were not notified in advance that this would include a "guided shopping" tour of a cloisonne factory. Last and very least, there was no iron and ironing board in the room, though I am confident that had we asked for one, it would have been delivered.
All in all, we have decided that this is our hotel in Beijing.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and overall complimentary review of out hotel on Trip Advisor. Your comments go a long way in promoting the hotel and we are very grateful for this.

I have duly noted your comments on improvement, indeed iron and ironing boards are readily available upon request and in particular I was very disappointed to read that you were taken on a guided shopping tour, which should not have occurred, and please feel rest assuredthat I will follow-up on this matter with our contracted tour companies.

I am thrilled that you consider us "Your Hotel in Beijing" and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,981)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My recent three-night-stay at the Grand Hyatt was great. CX Holidays had booked us a twin room for 3 fully paid adult package. When we checked in, Jeffrey Kwok immediatey found out the mistake and upgraded us to a grand delux two-bedrooms suite. Hotel is upto a 5 star standard with decent decoration, clean towels and comfortable bed, good buffet breakfast, free borrowing of umbrellas during raining days. The Oasis Club located in the basement is really fantastic with resort-like indoor swimming pools, jacuzzi and fitness equipments.

However, it's quite disappointed that the carpet on my floor was worn out and those inside the room (Rm 656) was dirty. You would see patches of stains and we dared not to be barefoot during our stay in the room. Though we are only paying package price for the room, we expect such a prestige 5-star hotel should keep the place clean. Otherwise, it would ruin such a good property.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank April771

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your outlinging your stay experience with us on Trip Advisor. Overall your review was quite complimentary and goes a long way to promote our hotel for which we are sincerely grateful.

Your comments on the cleanliness of the carpet in room 656 is duly noted and rest assured I will personally inspect this room together with the Housekeeping Manager, to ensure it is recitfied as soon as possible.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Only spent one night here, wish it were more!
Excellent hotel, up to the standards expected at a Hyatt.
Tasteful and spacious rooms. Nice breakfast selection. Room service was standard.
Great location. (stayed previously at the Hilton just 1 block away) Walking distance to shopping, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Beijing!

Thank you so much for sharing your stay experience on Trip Advisor and for all the compliments, we are sincerely grateful and I was thrilled that you enjoyed our hospitality so much!

We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel is adjacent to Wangfujing shopping area in the city centre and part of Beijing Oriental Plaza commercial complex. Walk a few steps from the hotel and you are in the middle of all the action including the street food area made famous on Bizarre Foods by Andrew Zimmern.

The hotel has a beautiful lobby area that is great for people watching. The staff is very friendly and helpful and ready to please. At the time of check in we were not happy with our room (very small) - the front desk manager upgraded us to a suite - much larger and much better. I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. Furthermore, apart from highlighting many of a key physical attributes, thank you for recognising the service and efforts of the team and I will ensure your feedback is shared with them.

I am thrilled to know you would return and we look ofrward to being able to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Let me start off by saying that the staff of the Grand Club are of the regular high standard I nearly alway receive from Hyatt worldwide, as a Gold Passport Diamond member. They went out of their way to help and this is always appreciated.

Were they successful? Unfortunately, no, as there are some deep basic flaws in how this hotel is designed and operates.

Traffic management in the main driveway is abysmal. Chauffeur driven cars and buses routinely clog traffic and not enough is done to keep the driveway flowing. Coupled with poor hotel design to start with, this means that it can that forever for cars and taxis to flow through, and taxi lines are a serious problem in a city where taxis are already hard to come by.

In my case, I enquired if I could book or reserve a taxi to the airport, and the Grand Club offered to try to hold one for me. They failed, due to lack of cooperation with the valet staff, long queues and the clogged driveway. End result: I had to pay for a hotel limo to make my flight. Unacceptable.

Second basic flaw: on 3 occasions during my 2 night stay, I waited nearly ten minutes for an elevator. On the day of my checkout, my room key deactivated at noon despite me confirming my 4pm checkout time upon arrival. This additional roundtrip coupled with the slow elevator issue meant a wasted 15 minutes and me being late for a business conference call. Again, unacceptable.

These are basic issues that I understand may not be too easy to fix, but are nonetheless unacceptable in a 5-star property.

Note: I acknowledge that on the 2nd day of my stay, a large foreign delegation arrived and exacerbated the already bad situation. Still, all guests need to be able to get around, nor was there any forewarning from hotel management about impending additional delays.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank milehighj
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Beijing!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with some very constructive feedback on our hotel through trip Advisor. It is only through this type of feedback that we are able to critically assess our performance and understand the required areas of improvement. We are very grateful that you chose Grand Hyatt for your stay in Beijing.

It is clear from your ratings and comments that we could improve in a number of areas and that we did not fully meet your expectations for which I sincerely apologize. Please feel rest assured that your feedback will be addressed and brought to the attention of the relevant Senior Executives and Managers in order to take corrective action with specific reference to your feedback on the taxis. Thank you however for highlighting to me the efforts of our Grand Club team and I will ensure they are duly recognised and also receive your feedback.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Beijing in the near future.

Grand Hyatt Beijing

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My family of four and I stayed here during our easter holidays shortly after staying in Japan for two weeks. Overall we were pleased with all aspects of the hotel, especially the pool which is perfect whether you want to relax or swim about. The breakfast was delicious as there is a shopping mall beneath the hotel which offers everything and the rooms were clean and of a fair size. It is near the center of Bejiing and close enough to take a bus, but there are taxis outside. Although this hotel is great, I would only recommend staying there for a week or less as after a while, there isnt much to do.

• Stayed: April 2012
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your stay experience in Grand Hyatt Beijing.

It was a very complimentary review and indeed promotes the hotel on a global level for which we thank you.

Please do remember us the next time you plan to visit Bejing as we would sincerely love to have you back.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed there for 4 nights with my Girlfriend during the week on the Club Floor. Beautiful Hotel, attentive staff. Check-In and -Out was quick. Rooms were not brand new but well maintained and clean. Super-Comfy bed. Room Service efficient and able to keep up with some special wishes. Grand Club very well managed and organised, food in quality and amount of outstanding quality. Had once dinner in the "Made in China" which was my second time and will go there again anytime, best Beijing Duck in Town! Pool absolutely beautiful! Overall, it isn´t cheap but there is absolutely NOTHING bad to say about that Hotel. Highly recommendable...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple