“Friendly and initiative staff.”

Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing
Ranked #65 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
“Friendly and initiative staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Reception: staff was efficient in checking in and checking out of customers. They were friendly and initiative.
Food and beverages: choices of food in buffet were quite limited. Food was alright.
Housekeeping: overall hotel was clean. Housekeeping was okay.
Location: quite near to city, hotel is accessible. Close to malls and shops.

• Stayed January 2013
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our hotel. Regarding your comment to our buffet food choices, we have taken up the matter with the hotel operation team. Please rest assured that appropriate steps are being taken to avoid any recurrence. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My friend and I had made reservations for 8 rooms for Crowne Plaza Wangfujing for March through booking.com. The room description states that its a premier King room with Club Floor benefits. I went to Crowne Plaza main webpage and checked with the online chat service on what Club Floor benefits mean. I was advised that it means full use of the Executive lounge. I went ahead with the reservations on account of the description on booking.com.

As i requested for an extra bed in one of the rooms (stated on booking.com confirmation slip as 210 cny per night) and I wanted ensure all the rooms I booked will be ready at check in, I emailed the hotel directly, also requesting that the rooms we made through 2 different reservations will be close to each other and to confirm use of the Club Floor benefits. My friend and I emailed the hotel at least 6 times between us but there was no response. Left with no choice, I emailed booking.com to contact the hotel and seek confirmation on my behalf.

Booking.com reverted that the extra bed will be 280 CNY (different from 210 CNY stated on my confirmation slip) and that use of the Executive lounge benefits will be 460 CNY per room per night, to my greatest shock, when it's stated on my confirmation slip that it comes with the room rates. When I expressed my disappointment with booking.com, they told me that they are an intermediary and they will just publish the information given by the hotel and I should contact the hotel directly. I tried once again to confirm with the hotel and there was again no response. It's amazing how unresponsive this 5 star hotel under the Crowne Plaza brand can be! I had high expectation of such a big international brand and greatly shocked by the whole episode - total disregards to all emails sent, different offering from what they promised online. How could this happen? If I had not bothered to check before I arrive, imagine my shock if I arrive and how much it would have spoilt my holidays? If a hotel can be so unresponsive in customer care and displeasure, I cannot imagine how my experience there would be. I would think it would not be advisable to stay here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear guest.
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing for your recent stay. At the same time, we are really sorry to hear about your unhappy experience when you were booking your room on booking.com. After our investigation, we found that because the problem of booking.com system, some information about our hotel was not updated which misled you to the incorrect information. And I want to take this opportunity to explain to you our price policy. Our Premier King room does not include Club Floor benefits. If you want to enjoy the Club Floor benefits, you should add extra RMB460. And for adding extra bed, you should pay RMB350, but we could offer you the discounted price RMB280.00 this time. Now we had negotiated with booking.com to update the information on their website. If you have any question about it, please email to our reservation department at reservation@crowneplazabj.com. I believe that our reservation staff could help you for your booking. We truly appreciate your kind support as our guest. We hope to welcome you in our hotel.
Best regards.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had a number of hotels booked for my work trip to China and after a great experience at Crowne Plaza Beijing Airport I decided to cancel my reservation at another hotel and return to Crowne Plaza Wangfujing. It wasnt very busy and i was upgraded to a deluxe room which was spacious and had nice finnishes. The staff were all great including the restaurant staff and atrium bar staff. My room was an oasis after being in country China...... The only advice i would give is for the hotel to perhaps somehow regulate the taxis collecting guests in the foyer. I had yet another bad taxi experience when travelling from the hotel to the airport. I had to argue intensely with the driver to turn the meter on. I know this isnt an issue directly related to the hotel however it would be a nice touch if the bell boys could record the drivers number and give it to the passneger before leaving the hotel and advise them that this is the number of the taxi and if there are any issues they can be reported. The driver was waiting in the foyer of the hotel and i asked the hotel attendant if he was a real taxi driver and was told yes... then i got into the taxi and had issues... Once again this isnt a hotel problem but it would be a nice touch if the hotel could find a solution for their guests. I used the hotel car on my last visit but as i was leaving in the middle of the day this time i thought a taxi would be fine. mistake.... i will get a hotel car next time. I will stay here again... I think its a great hotel for central Beijing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our hotel. And thank you for your suggestion to our Concierge. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, after all it is only through comments such as yours that we can only hope to improve our services and facilities. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed at the property for 1 night prior to China's National Day. Its within walking distance to T Square & Forbidden City, Night Food Market and plenty of food options on Wangfujing.

I had to use the business centre for its internet facility and found it to be pricey for the speed of internet service it was providing.

Due to Beijingers going on vacation prior to its National Holiday, Myself and others had major trouble trying to get a taxi. The hotel was helpless themselves and was unable wave down any taxis for its guests for 45mins. There was no hotel car available and the hotel did not call taxis in.

I ended up having to walk to a shopping center down Wangfujiang and negotiated & paid triple of what the fare should be (i speak abit of Mandarin too).

If you are staying here near a public holiday/ CNY, I would recommend you pre-arranging your transport.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jcjchung
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear guest,

In your comments, you mentioned about internet price and getting taxi. We have taken up the matter with the hotel operation team. Please rest assured that appropriate steps are being taken to avoid any recurrence. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, after all it is only through comments such as yours that we can only hope to improve our services and facilities.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have opportunity to welcome you again.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The rooms were ok, although a bit outdated. The complimentary buffet breakfast was good. Not a lot of staff could speak good English, so it was very difficult to communicate with most of them. Close to shopping malls.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our hotel location, room and breakfast. Regarding our staff English communication ability, we will continue to provide training, as we always do to the staff to keep improving the English communication ability. We truly appreciate your kind support as our guest. We hope to welcome you again in Beijing. And we promise your next stay will be a great experience. Best regards.
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here for five very comfortable nights. We had rooms on the executive lounge floor which I would recommend to anyone planning to stay here as their complimentary breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever had! The staff in the lounge are English-speaking, very friendly and always looking for ways to make sure you're as comfortable and well looked after as possible.

We went to Xi'an for 3 nights and the hotel helped us organise a car and arranged to safely leave some bags behind for when we returned to Beijing. We also travelled to the Mutianyu section of the great wall with the hotel's car. The driver spoke very good English, took us to a really good restaurant and there were no hidden fees. The price was actually cheaper than ones I've seen from travel agencies around Beijing (which usually include shopping tours and hidden fees etc.).

Food at the hotel is really good as well and it's location is probably the most convenient in Beijing. It's a short walk to the famous Wangfujing food street and around a 15-20 min walk (5 mins in a cab) from Tiananmen Sq and the Forbidden City.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: They have rooms facing inside the hotel and also ones with a street view. Street views are better. T...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Greetings from Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing! We appreciate you choosing our hotel as your home away from home. It’s a great pleasure to learn that the hotel impressed you deeply. We are also very happy to know that our colleagues were helpful during your stay. Thank you for your sincere comments and we will continue to provide excellent service in the future.
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Checked into this property for 5 nights recently.

Commendable areas include:

A. Early check-in request
As my travel mate arrived earlier than the check-in timing, the management allowed an early check in which is greatly appreciated.

B. Location
Situated in the city, it is never too far from anywhere. Very easy to hail a cab. The subway is not exactly near as walking in the cold winter was a great challenge to us though.

C. Prompt actions by the management
This is my first encounter in a hotel where the management provides a slip for feedback on items which were not functioning in the room. We have it filled and glad that most of the items were taken cared of upon our return to the room.

D. Thoughtful gesture
As we stayed throughout Xmas and Boxing Day, it was indeed thoughtful and sweet of the hotel to leave a small gift (comprises of a cute Santa and cookies). It has certainly brighten our Xmas day upon returning to the room.

Areas of improvement
E. Room service personnel ignored the "do not disturb" sign
On our last day of our stay, the room service personnel knocked on the door early in the morning despite us hanging the "do not disturb" signage. It was indeed annoying as she even attempted to open the door, thankfully we had it locked inside avoiding her to come in straight to the room. As we were awaken and had difficulties getting back to bed, it was indeed a spoiler of the day leaving us being annoyed for the entire day due to lack of sleep. Perhaps the room service personnel were not well trained in this area given the fact that the do not disturb signage were in English.

F. Faulty items
The items in the rooms may not be fully in working condition. In our room, the following items were not functioning:
- weighing machine at the restroom
- stationeries (i.e. papers and envelopes) used were not replenished daily
- handsfree function of the phone were not functioning
- newspapers were given on certain days only
Thankfully to the "Room Maintenance" form which we feedback, some of be above items were attended to.

G. Complaints not responded to as promised
As mentioned above on the room service personnel knocking on the door despite the do not disturb signage, we called the front office to complain. However the duty manager never reverted to us with an explanation despite him committed to do so upon us waking up. We left the hotel without receiving any response.

Overall we are fine with this property and may consider coming back again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to apologies for the discomfort and unhappiness experienced in our hotel. We have taken up the matter with the hotel management team. Please rest assured that appropriate steps are being taken to avoid any recurrence. We will continue to provide training, as we always do to the staff to keep improving the service standard.