“good reception and breakfast, room standard”

Kerry Hotel Beijing
Ranked #4 of 6,491 Hotels in Beijing
Concord, New Hampshire
“good reception and breakfast, room standard”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Recently renovated, it has a very nice entrance floor with caffe, dining and bar.

Had the most pleasant hotel reception experience ever in China.
Often times, hotels in China go for more with looks than hospitality.
But this hotel seems to invest more on its staff, and I highly value this point.

Breakfast offers dozens of choice from Western, Chinese and some Japanese food.
The room seems to remain old and standard.

Considering their service and renovated first floor, it is worth going there for dinner or drink if you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I only stayed here because Park Hyatt was full but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very very nice, the bed comfortable, and a great bathroom. I ordered room delivery breakfast which was very good and arrived quickly.
I also had to do some work from the room and the wifi connection worked well and there was enough desk space to work on.
As for location, its well located for the business district, and there is also a giant shopping mall with all luxury goods available accross the road.
The only problem was that there was some works going on in the building so getting to the room was a bit complicated. But despite that there was no noise to disturb me the rooms must be well sound proofed.
I think its a great business hotel, 5* rooms but rest of it not sure (in comparison to Park Hyatt) but definitely all in 4*.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Wow. The service at Kerry Centre was incredible.

I arranged for an late-night airport transfer through the hotel, and they had someone meet me at my gate -- how she got through security remains unclear -- and escort me through customs all the way to the hotel. Upon arrival, I was immediately upgrade to a massive 19th floor suite because the hotel had empty rooms.

Rooms are newly renovated -- December 2010 I think -- and the bed was comfortable to boot. There's a great breakfast spread in a room with city views. I'm told that Kerry's hotel bar, Centro, is the hottest in town right now -- I wasn't able to verify this, but it seemed to be happening when I checked in shortly after midnight.

I highly recommend Kerry Centre if you want to stay in the CBD.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Islamabad, Pakistan
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Kerry Tower is the best place to stay in Beijing. The rooms are superb, the staff is the most nicest and pleasant. The breakfast is equally matching. Windows offer View of the city buildings. If you wanted best accommodation in Beijing...Do not go anywhere than this place.

Room Tip: All rooms offer view of the city...but try CCTV tower view..It was good...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
london
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed here for a week on business in June 2011. The staff and service were excellent, and the spa treatments, although dated, were very very good. however, the hotel just feels likes it's had it's heyday, the qualty of food could be improved, and it does not live up the brand reputation of a 5 star hotel. a solid 4 star for business.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank loosecannonlondon
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stay in this hotel after having a bad experience in the four seasons courtyard. We are a family of 5 people. The Shangri - la It's a very nice hotel. The rooms are clean, and comfortable. The staff is very friendly, and accommodating. Really good location, 5 minute walk to the subway station. Restaurants, shopping in side, and next door.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Firstly, the Shangri-La chain is among the best in the world. That is why I hold them to a higher standard than I would other hotels. We stay in some good and some bad hotels during our monthly travels to China, but when we pay the extra to stay at a Shangri-La we expect great service and wonderful facilities. On this particular trip to China we stayed at two other Shangri-La run hotels and they were brilliant. By contrast, this one was a massive dissapointment.
Of course I understand the need for renovations - however there is a complete lack of effort by this particular hotel to minimize the inconvenience to their guests. This is not "business as usual" at a Shangri-La run hotel and they need to stop pretending that it is.
When we arrived we were disappointed to find that the hotel was in the process of a major renovation. We knew that we were in trouble when the taxi driver finally found the temporary entrance and when there was nobody there to help us unload. In fairness to the staff they were busy carrying other customers' luggage up the escalator to the temporary check in - a room with three older office style desks and a carpet that had seen far better days. It is not that I am a snob, but it was pretty evident that if this was the best that they could do, the standard was pretty low.
When we asked if our reservation could be moved to one of the other two Shangri-La run hotels in the vicinity, we were told that there was no space available. We decided to make the best of it and after having very clearly asked and having been assured that the restaurants and bar had not been effected by the renovation, and that the rooms would not be noisy we checked in. I truly regret having done so. Although both of us are Jade members of the Shangri-La Golden Circle we were not offered any form of upgrade to compensate for the obvious disappointment of having booked into a five star construction site. My room was unattractive, extremely noisy from the hammering and in need of a face lift. Except for the large bathroom, it resembled the Holiday Inn room at which I had stayed the previous night - the difference being that here I had paid four times the price, was not offered an upgrade and did not get club privilages.
What makes it so much worse is that we were out and out lied to - Firstly, and despite the assurances, the restaurant facilities were not in operation - The temporary bar was a nasty and unfriendly room and we decided that it was not worth the bother. We found out the next morning that the hotel restaurant was replaced by a small facility at the Chinese restaurant located in the shopping mall next door. Again the staff were trying their best, but the place was simply inadequate. More annoying was that when we checked the internet on the first evening we found that rooms were in fact available at both the Shangri-La Traders hotel and the Shangri-La World Centre hotels (both within walking distance) - by then it was too late to bother to move. To rub salt into the wound, the rates at the other Shangri-La hotels were cheaper than that which we had paid. Thirdly despite the promises, it was in fact very noisy. The first morning was not a problem since I was up early, but I had not planned on sleeping in on the Saturday and the hammering started very early.
All in all, despite some effort from the staff, it was not a Shangri-La experience and no attempt was made to make it so.
I advise strongly to avoid this hotel during the renovation - for my part, because of the fact that I was lied to, I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: My room on the tenth floor was so noisy that it sounded as if there was a woodpecker in the wall - s...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business