“Best location and beautiful Lobby with friendly staff”

Shangri-La's China World Hotel
Ranked #18 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Ocean City, Maryland
“Best location and beautiful Lobby with friendly staff”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

You can pretty much see front he other reviews that this is a great hotel for your stay in Beijing . We were on a leisure trip and having the subway right below the hotel was a great asset . You are only a few stops to the Forbidden City and the Temple Of Heaven . About a 40 minute subway ride to the Summer Palace . We booked a private your to take us to Mutiyanyu Great wall which is less touristy and on a Monday not crowded at all . If you go there take the chairlift up and toboggan down , so much fun . I suggest googling Johnny tours of Beijing . You will save a lot of money than booking through hotel . We stayed on the club floor level and I can't say enough about the great service they provide especially Tracy who booked us dinner reservations and answered all our questions that we had about Beijing . The club rooms also include breakfast , afternoon tea and a happy hour for 2 hours with drinks and tasty tapas style food . Its worth the upgrade . There is construction going on in the front of the building so I would advise a high floor or book a room facing the back . If you are on a Club floor , you wont hear anything . Enjoy !!

Room Tip: Go for the Club Rooms !!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay W
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear danudej7, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed our Horizon Club room and lounge facilities. The Horizon Club is enjoyed by many of our regular guests. I will share your comments with Tracy and I know she will be delighted. China World Hotel is well located and has great facilities for both business and leisure travelers. We appreciate your support of China World Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, Area General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Be welcomed by a very grand lobby with live Chinese orchestra performances at times. It is one of the few hotels that has moved to paperless check-in system. There is a greeter stationed at the elevators at your service. The dated rooms are however a little disappointing with worn furnishing in need of overhaul. I requested for an non-smoking room but it was reeking of smoke and a document addressed to someone else was left in the room by mistake by the hotel staff.

Its prime location in a central area close to offices and the exhibition centre makes this a popular choice for business travelers. It is also connected to the surrounding buildings and metro station via underground walkways.

Room Tip: Try requesting for a room with a good view of the iconic CCTV building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Y880, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the facilities at China World Hotel and in particular the orchestra in the lobby. Our elevator greeters have been with us for many years, and thoroughly enjoy engaging with our guests. My apologies for the smoking smell in the room, an oversight on our part which should not have happened. All of our guest rooms are going to be progressively refreshed creating a new look. We appreciate your support of China World Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, Area General Manager.
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed last week. Great hotel, friendly staff, very helpful. Subway access from the hotel basement. Good room cleaning service, good restaurants and buffet. Check-in and check out takes a little long but friendly nevertheless.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeroenireland
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Jeroenireland, thank you for your review. We are glad to know that you have wonderful memories of your time with us, and enjoyed the hospitality and service from our team. We will certainly look at how to communicate the check in and check out service efficiency to our guests. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, Area General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Airport Transfers
o Both my wife and I really appreciated the pickup and facilitation at the airport to the hotel car. We both had a very positive experience on our separate arrivals with the airport employee carrying a sign with our name and meeting us at baggage claim and escorting us to the car.
o On departure from Beijing, we were pleasantly surprised that an airport employee met us at the drop-off and assisted us with check-in.

Hotel Reception
o They surprised us by greeting us both by name on our separate arrivals at the curb and guiding us through a swift check-in and taking us to our room personally.
 The guest manager was a great host and even helped me with a room change when I announced that my family would be joining me in two days. I made the mistake of not pre-notifying the hotel, but she handled my last-minute change with grace and took very good care of us!
 She also had special chocolate treats and cookies for our kids when they arrived.

The Café & Room Service, House Keeping
o The food provided by the hotel was very good.
o Room service was quick and friendly.
o The family really enjoyed having fresh fruit in our room each day
o Housekeeping was good and friendly!

Workout Facilities / Gym
o I like to exercise daily, especially when traveling and was very pleased with the size of the gym and variety of workout equipment provided.
o The trainers were helpful and attentive.
o Our kids especially enjoyed the swimming pool, hot tub, and cold tub.

• Spa
o If I had to give one constructive opportunity for improvement, it would be on the spa:
 The prices were a bit high compared to other countries
 I was often pressured to increase the amount of time I booked for
 Each time I went, I was pressured to change from “cold oil” to “hot oil” which is roughly a ~30% increase in price.
• When I finally relented and tried the “hot oil”, I was very disappointed to see that it’s the same oil, but heated by a small electric appliance, and the oil actually cools off again after a few seconds of being applied to the skin.
o The hot oil was not worth the extra charge by any means and came at a very high cost to me, but no extra cost to the spa (save for a bit of electricity).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt F
Dear Matt F, thank you for taking the time to write such detailed feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate the efforts to recognize some of our team and will share your positive acknowledgement with our Reception, Cafe & Room Service, Housekeeping and Health club. Your experience with the Spa has also been noted. We are arranging to meet with the Spa people to discuss improvement to the service they provide. Thanks again for the excellent feedback; Some good points for us to improve on. We appreciate your support of China World Hotel and look forward to welcoming back you and your family again on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, Area General Manager.
Cape Town
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in the heart of Beijing winter with smog levels earning an orange status (one below red). Inside was awesome as you were unaware of the happenings outside. Comfortable temperatures and very helpful staff. Commendable service leaving nothing to chance and coupled with good facilities like gym, spa and restaurants. Breakfast options really good and fruit in the room styling. Only challenge is the bombardment as you check in. May want to ease on the questions, deposit demands and special offerings. You just landed and may want to be given a chance to orient yourself. Also, I left a message for a colleague who arrived later and it wasn't given. Other than that, a fab stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room as high as possible.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kamedien, thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed the facilities at China World Hotel and in particular the breakfast selection in the Scene a Cafe, and thank you for highlighting the hospitable service from our team. My apologies for the issue you experienced on your arrival, and we will certainly look at how to communicate the check in service better to our guests. We appreciate your support of China World Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, Area General Manager.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed in in October of 2012, and found it to be extremely well-run. The rooms were great - the bathrooms were state-of-the-art (the toilets alone were quite remarkable and high-tech). The view was nothing to write home about, but that's a result of the urban location. The food was great - the breakfast options were phenonomenal, and they had a lot of great options for traditional Chinese and more American / European tastes. They lobby bar was a lot of fun as well. A really great property.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Meghantown, thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed the facilities at China World Hotel and in particular the breakfast selection in the Scene a Cafe, and thank you for highlighting our Lobby Lounge. We have a great location in the heart of the CBD,with excellent shopping and accessible transportation/MTR. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, Area General Manager
Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed there several times over the past year because of the convenient location. It is right above China World and connected subway station. The rooms are definitely old but the lobby and common area has a nice Chinese feel to it.

Only complaint is when I stayed there with my husband once and at check in, the staff asked if I would like to pay extra to upgrade my room. I said no thanks. Then he said "oh, but the only room available is room 444" (the #4 is consider unlucky in Chinese culture) but to his surprise we are not superstitious and said it was ok. Then he told us, "I will upgrade you for free because there is in fact no more double room available." I was disappointed that he tried to sell me a more expensive room and wasn't being totally honest when in fact there is no more room available in the category that I booked in. I just feel there is too much selling at the point of check in.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank HKLouise
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear HKLouise, thank you for your review. My apologies for the issue you experienced on your arrival, and we will certainly look at how to communicate the room upselling service better to our guests. It is always our intention to create great value. We appreciate your support of China World Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, Area General Manager.