“Highly Recommended”

Shangri-La's China World Hotel
Ranked #19 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had a most wonderful experience at this hotel. Their Guest Relations Officer, Michelle Han, greeted me on arrival. She was helpful and very client-oriented. The check-in was done super efficiently in my room. Michelle suggested that I upgrade to a package with breakfast, laundry and return limousine transfer - great value-adds and for less than I had budgeted to pay. I happily took her suggestion. She was patient in attending to my enquiries and making alternative transfer arrangements due to last minute changes to my flight schedule. She was there to say goodbye to me on my way out.

All-in-all, a very personalised and attentive approach, which is very much appreciated.

Other staff I met were friendly and always kept a smile on their face.

I will definitely stay again at the China World Hotel when I next visit Beijing!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear RubyChan, thank your for your review. I will poass on your thanks to Michelle and I know she will be delighted with the recognition. At China World we have a number of special packages that include breakfast, limousine, laundry and other associated benefits, something for all travellers; and I am glad you were able to experience this value. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Beijing. Regards. John Rice. General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La's China World Hotel

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 13 to 17 Dec 2012. Booked a room as a family on the Horizon floor. Room has fantastic view of the CBD area.

Checked in and later the room reeked of cigarette smoke. The floor my room was on was supposed to be non-smoking. I complained to the reception and they mentioned they could not do anything as the smoke must be caused by some other guest smoking on the same floor as me. Much later, after I insisted, they changed a room for me.

2 days later, my wife had horrible food poisioning after consuming food from the horizon floor breakfast spread. Staff was not helpful. We had to ask for a doctor and thankfully, there was an in-house doctor located on the basement level. My wife was confined to her bed for the next 2 days and it basically ruined our holiday plans.

I made complained to the management about the food and later follow-uped with an e-mail to the management but they have completely ignored my e-mail. I have stayed at a few Shangri-la hotels before but I have never been given such BAD service in my life. If this hotel is ranked 5-star, it's certainly 5-star for bad service and poor food hygiene.
-KC Chew

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear KC Chew, thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for the issues your wife experienced and I am sorry for our unsatisfactory response. Today we contacted your wife and will fix the issue. We will also send our direct contact details, as unfortunately we did not receive your email. My contact is john.rice@shangri-la.com. Regards. John Rice. General Manager.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here as part of a pre-cruise land tour so the hotel wasn't picked by us. It is very modern, clean and well appointed. Our room which was a standard one was a good size, comfortable and well maintained.
We enjoyed the buffet breakfast each morning. There is a great selection of food to satisfy varied tastes.
The reception staff, wait staff in the Scene a Cafe and housekeeping staff were friendly and attentive. We had drinks in the Lobby Lounge a couple of times during a 3 night stay and found the wait staff to be pleasant but not overly friendly or attentive. On both occasions we waited longer than necessary for one of the staff to come over and take our order. When she finally came over she was impersonal and not particularly friendly. Different staff on both nights but the same experience. These were the only instances we encountered where the Chinese people were not friendly and welcoming.

The mall beneath the hotel is very large with many options for dining and shopping. With the horrendous smog outside it was nice to stay inside when we weren't touring around.

I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear KathyLB, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed our room and the breakfast buffet in the Scene A Cafe. And also mentioned attentive services provide by our reception, housekeeping and Scene A cafe staff. I apologize for the lobby lounge service and appreciate your comment. We will work on improvements in this important area. We hope to see you again if you visit Beijing. Regards, John Rice,General Manager

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the China World in early April-----3 nights in a deluxe room and 1 night in a club deluxe room. The hotel is located in the central business district and attached to the massive China World Mall. The hotel is part of the Shangr-La chain and represents itself as a first class property. For the most part it is first class, but it is not quite in the same class as other Shangri-la properties I've stayed at. The deluxe room is the lowest class available. It is spacious----about 40 square meters and nicely laid out. The room was well maintained as is the entire property. The club deluxe room is exactly the same as the standard deluxe room, but with upgraded toiletries and access to the horizon lounge. The lounge offers a very nice breakfast----ordered from a menu plus a small buffet with dim sum and other treats. It also offers drinks throughout the day with canapes and snacks in the evening. The evening selection was not up to Shangri-la standards and closed early-----around 7:30.
In general, service was excellent. Major exception was the Aria restuarant. We experienced poor wait staff service. The food was excellent here as well in the Cafe restuarant.
The hotel website offers specials that are not available on expedia and other booking websites. Try using the website if you plan to book. I paid about $50 US extra for a one night upgrade to a club level room but received lounge amenities plus a $155 US food and drink voucher, 2 movie tickets and 2 ice rink admisssions. The theater and ice ring are in the mall, which contains a vast array of upscale and traditional mall store shopping. All in all a very nice hotel choice if you can get the right price.

Room Tip: Upgrade to club level if specials are available. Note, all room and suites with the exception of th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear jerry K, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had enjoy the breakfast in the club lounge and food in the Cafe Restaurant. I appreciate your comments on the deluxe and horizon club room condition, and website hotel promotion offer. We will work on improvement in the Aria Restaurant service, and lounge evening cocktail level. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to China World Hotel during your next visit to Beijing.
Regards, John Rice, General Manager

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Not the newest hotel but well maintained and serviced hotel. Housekeeping response was excellent and service at the front desk was very efficient. Very comfortable and clean. We had a grandchild with us and the accommodation was excellent. Food at banquet room, restaurants and Horizon Club was very good in all locations. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Horizon Club rooms on the 21st floor (top) are not serviced by an elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear CR88, thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our banquets and the Horizon Club. China World is well known in Beijing for excellent banquets and our Horizon Lounge provides a superb facility and benefits, for leisure and business travellers. We hope you stay at China World on your next visit to Beijing. Regards. John Rice, General Manager.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Very high level of service with a beautiful lobby. Very nice fitness center and a number of restaurants. Surrounded by high end shopping. Well located and both concierge and front desk staff were helpful and spoke excellent English.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear New719, we are glad you had a great stay at China World and thank you for the review. China World is in a very convenient CBD location with easy access to shopping and transportation. Our grand lobby, restaurants and hotel facilities are well known and contribute to a comfortable stay for both business and leisure travellers. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Beijing. Regards, John Rice, General Manager.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were booked at China World by Crystal Cruise for our post cruise 3 day Beijing land package.
The hotel exceeded our expectations!
The room was large, clean, and well-appointed.
The large hotel lobby is sparkling. When we were there, they had even rolled out the red carpet-LITERALLY- for the King of Brunei and his large entourage.
Staff was attentive.
Service in the lobby bar was a little slow, but with so much to look at, we hardly noticed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-ChinaWorldHotel, General Manager at Shangri-La's China World Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear AustinGrandma, thank you for your review. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed our grand lobby and deluxe room. I appreciate your comment on the lobby bar service slow and we will work on improvement in this important area. We hope to see you again if you visit Beijing.
Best Regards, John Rice, General Manager.