Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
6,877 results
All reviews garden wing shang palace old wing horizon club summer palace in room dining excellent hotel breakfast buffet is business trip concierge staff the executive lounge forbidden city cha lyle china taxi gym
Selected filters
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Lovely hotel. Really nice service and staff going out of their way to make me feel comfortable with mu lack of Chinese.
Particularly good experience in the Café Cha restaurant. Alexandre was particularly good and despite his workload, found time to make sure I was enjoying my stay. His French accent was interesting to hear in the place surrounded by Chinese.
I think him for his time and effort.

1  Thank StuckeyA
Reviewed December 27, 2010

The Shangri-La is a very nice hotel, but not as nice as the JW Marriott that we also stayed at during our trip to Beijing (see my review of the JW for details). The room was nice, but the TV was an older model with a much smaller selection of channels and the shower is not as nice. The desk and night stands had no open outlets for my laptop, cell phone charger, etc. The breakfast buffet also did not have as much variety as the Marriott.
All that being said, I did enjoy my stay here, the beds are comfortable, the service was good, and I got good night's sleep.
If you're an IBM employee or visiting IBM in Beijing, this hotel does have a shuttle that will take you to the IBM facility, which was very handy.

Date of stay: November 2010
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I believe that your service and your staff are second to none. However, I found that the facilities and room are quite old such as the tap of bath tube in the bathroom is leaking whenever I turn on the tap. I don't want to flood the floor, so I used the shower instead.

Anyway, it'll be better if you place the complimentary water beside the Evian on the glass tray. May be it's your marketing method but customer make a mistake easily, and I did! When I wanted to take water in a hurry, I open the charged on while thinking that it's a complimntary one!

Reviewed December 13, 2010

This is an excellent option to stay in Beijing and have relax. Service at this hotel is highly qualified. Kind people, excellent cuisine, it worths every cent you pay for it

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Location: In my opinion, the location of the hotel is really not very good for a tourist. Even if you have transportation to all the major tourist spots, the fact that we can't just walk outside to a major dining area or at least to a metro stop is not convenient. Of course, taxi is always available, but it's still a 20-30+ minutes ride to CBD, and you have to deal with taxis. I always prefer to either walk or use metro so that affects my opinion. The closest metro station is a 20 minute BRISK walk from the lobby. You want to use the National Library of China stop on Line 4. You can cut through the Zizhuyuan Park to make the walk more interesting (there are people dancing all times of the day) but you most likely have to rely on taxis for the majority of the travel within the city.

Service: Very good and professional. The staff in the breakfast dining area were very good. Check-in/out was quick and professional.

Food: The breakfast buffet was really nice, though weaker on the Chinese food. The variety and quality of the western breakfast was above average.

Gym/Pool: Very nice pool (big and good for lap swimming, though a bit warm) and the gym is complete. There are very nice sauna/steam/jacuzzi in the locker room.

Room: The room in the old garden wing is...old. It's a nice size but the carpeting is old and a bit off-putting. The bed is comfortable, and the room a nice size, about 30 sqm (?). We had friends in the new Valley wing and they reported that those rooms are a lot nicer.

The hotel does have free wifi so that's a plus.

Date of stay: November 2010