“none”

Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing
Ranked #13 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed December 5, 2013

in general, Beijing shangri-la hotel provided me excellent services during my stay, although the room facility is a little old in comparison with other new 5 star hotel, the special services makes me still feel very good.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Write a ReviewReviews (1,904)

Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is an excellent hotel with good value for money. Great rooms, clean, very good service. Unfortunately , not in the best location, even though not far e.g. from Tian'amen square and from the airport.

Room Tip: Excellent rooms
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had the good fortune to stay at two of the Shangri La hotels in Beijing. I preferred the bathroom set up for the Deluxe room of the China World Hotel which is located on the East Side of Beijing while the Shangri La hotel is on the Northwest side of the third ring. I also thought the China World hotel had the better breakfast buffet, but they both were excellent. Both hotels provide excellent espresso and cappuccinos.

The room cleaning service of the Shangri La was better than the China World Hotel.

Both hotels are excellent. They offer free internet with download speeds from the US through the cable of 128 kB/s which is not bad for China.

One other downside of the Shangri La Cloud 9 bar is that it does not have a non-smoking section, and being from the US, the air quality could get quite bad inside.

I never had a problem getting a taxi from this hotel, while other hotels in the area, I sometimes have had to wait 15-20 min to find a taxi. Maybe I was just lucky this time.

The pool has quite a bit of chlorine so be sure to borrow a free pair of goggles. The pool was 25 m so good for swimming laps and the water temperature was perfect. I also used the Sauna which was great, but the hotel needs to put a sign up telling the patrons to use water from the showers and not the Jacuzzi, because the Jacuzzi water is full of chlorine as well. A not so smart guy filled the bucket of water from the Jacuzzi and a few minutes after dumping it on the hot Sauna coals, he managed to fill the Sauna up with acrid chlorine gas. Fortunately, I was ready to leave the Sauna after his arrival.

The service at this hotel was excellent. Garden view not so great, at least in the winter.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

It is about 15 - 20 minutes to any subway station. I had to call a taxi to Microsoft China office in Zhong Guan Cun. In the morning rush hour, there was a line for the taxi but the door man was very helpful.

The breakfast had lots of varieties but Hyatt had much better food that I would love to go there again. The swimming pool at Hyatt was also much more luxurious, cleaner and relaxing.

The service was good and the room was comfortable. The tour was very expensive. The train is much better. it is only 6 Renminbi but you need to arrive at the station early before the tickets are sold out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2013

A great start to our trip as we organised an airport transfer through the hotel. The hotel had a representative meet us from the aircraft and take us through to the car and driver. Check-in was extremely swift and well organized and we were relaxing in our room within minutes of arrival at the hotel. The hotel is a little tired but elegant, the room was comfortable with a great view but had a lot of oversized furniture in a small space. The bathroom is modern with nice amenities. Staff at the hotel are extremely helpful, polite and friendly and went out of their way to make our stay a great one! The buffet breakfast at Cafe Cha is large but the western menu was a disappointment. We had room service for dinner most days due to our busy schedule and again the food was a disappointment, more fuel than enjoyable.

1  Thank FamilyAtoll
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here on business for a week. I had reason to stay on the West side of town and picked this. If you have business at or near Peking University (Baida), this Third Ring Road property is an excellent choice. If you are doing business in Central Beijing it also works but you will have to account for travel time --- but that is really anywhere in Beijing these days. The business center is a little pricey but the team and service is very good. Used it three times during the week.

While both wings are nice let me suggest you pick the Valley Wing. It is newer and more refined. The 12th Floor executive lounge is staffed with welcoming and very professional people. The breakfast and day-long offerings are quite pleasing, and you check in here for a nice welcoming first impression. The health club on 5 is very good.....a lot of machines (cardio, weights, and free weights), nice pool, and program choices, It is an open and sunlit space.
The lobby dining restaurant has an elaborate lunch buffet that is expensive but if you are hungry you have countless choices. The first floor restaurant STAY is pricey but I had a very good business dinner there -- fun and diverse menu and highly good staff all around.
The rooms are large, modern, and well-appointed. I was on 14 and had a good view of outer Beijing. BUT here is the kicker and especially for business travelers, my first evening I was awakened by maintenance (light but very noticeable hammering repair work) at 3 am. I called to report this and ask for assistance. The phone rang once and the Service Manager Lynn Liang carefully took my report, apologized for the disruption, and promised to look into it right away. Most business travelers know what this means most of the time --- you have another 45 minutes to go. Within 5 minutes this noise was no more! Wow, but even more impressive was that morning, Lynn Liang sought me out at the 12th Floor lounge at breakfast and apologized for my experience. That afternoon a large bowl of various fresh fruit was in my room after I returned from business meetings with a note from her again, apologizing. Impressive customer focus and concern.

Thank you Lynn and well done Shangri-La management training!!

A memorable and "tellable" experience that I will surely identify as a hospitality best practice.

I will go back if my itinerary is aligned with the hotel's location.

Stay here if you can.

Room Tip: Pick the Valley Wing.
1  Thank CGCx
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Area General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you so much for taking a few moments to share your experience about your recent stay with us. We acknowledge the service shortcoming you mentioned and are equally delighted that our people were quick to effectively respond to it. Your kind comments about Lynn will indeed be shared with her. We will work hard to continually earn your confidence and loyalty. We look forward to your future visit to our hotel.
Thank you.
Christopher Chia
Area General Manager

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have been a very regular visitor for many years to this fine hotel and have seen the decline in service and staff morale since the change in management.
Even the quality of the food has gone for the worse, breakfast is mediocre at best.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Area General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation when you visit to Beijing for many years. We regret that our service and dining experience did not live up to your expectation. I would like to further discuss the matter with you, kindly contact me at christopher.chia@shangri-la.com.
We would like to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving Day in advance.

Christopher Chia