“A wonderful hotel stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 5,939 Hotels in Beijing
Nj
“A wonderful hotel stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I really loved this hotel. Although some people may feel this location is not convenient- Beijing is so large I am unsure any other spot would have been more convenient. The room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. We liked all of the great space to put away or toiletries in the bathroom an the amenities in the room.Our only pet peeves were that we wish they had an outlet with a mirror so that multiple people could blow dry their hair instead of just one with the hook up in the desk and that there was no chocolate at turn down. We enjoyed the delicious breakfast served overlooking the very lovely garden area. Especially appreciated the made to order Beijing pancakes and smoothies. All of the staff was very nice and tried to be helpful despite our language barriers. We found the doormen and gym/pool attendants extremely attentive. Taxis no problem from the hotel but a little difficult trying to return to this location.

I cannot say enough about he gym/pool area. The gym was well appointed with towels, water, antibacterial wipes,etc. The pool was also maintained well and easily accommodated 4 lap swimmers. The nicest feature was the locker room which was a spa like oasis, containing steam, sauna, slate bottomed whirlpool, showers and rubber sandals, robes, towels and toiletries. It was so nice that I chose to get ready in the morning in that area leaving my friend to our room to herself. The staff was also very kind an helpful.

Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

brilliant hotel! clean with good amenities. staff warm and friendly.
restaurant food excellent - good choice at breakfast and also at dinner. one of best hotels in Beijing.
staff helpful and accomodating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great hotel, poor location. Expensive meals. Hard to get taxis in the morning. Very friendly staff. Buffet diner was very good, with lobster and other sea food. I checked in they day of my birthday and was very pleased with the complementary birthday cake they put in my room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

1. good service
2. can improve by providing more travel information about Beijing in hotel room such as map and travel guide.
3. welcome fruits can have more variety, not just apple as I stayed from 20 to 22 April
4. plant more trees and flowers in the garden
5. garden should be renovated so as to improve the overall image of the hotel and more relaxing feeling to the guests

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
La Massana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 9 days in April 2013. We had two rooms in the valley wing. And had free access to a really nice lounge with everything complimentary even nice champagne. The breakfast was served in the lounge as well, and was very good. The rooms where above normal Shangri-La standard and very large. The staff was friendly and help full though a bit hard to understand at times. From the moment we where off the plane from EU we where grated by a staff member at the gate who helped us through everything, a very nice touch. We where traveling with our 2 year old, and she felt like a star at the hotel where all staff seemed to fall for her. We even got some cute welcome presents for her. All in all i would like to recommend this hotel deeply

Room Tip: I can only recommend the Valley wing, every one kept telling us the old wing is not nearly as nice...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
saudi arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for a short weekend getaway with my family during the chinese vacation of tomb sweaping day. We were taken to the 12th floor for check in the club floor. It was very smooth and done by very polite people as well.

Hotel set up: It has two towers, garden wing and valley wing, the new one, which I stayed in with my family. both wings are connected with a long and wide walkway that includes some shops and the main entrance of the evnts hall of the hotel. the old wing is facing a chinese garden that is greatly landscped. it works great for an afternoon tea.

Location: The hotel is located in the western part of the city. Not a lot of business located near the hotel. For that I would rate it for leisure more than a business hotel. nothing much around it on foot. you need to take a cab to reach anywhere interesting. all in all, not one of the best spots in the city.

Room: rooms of the new tower are simply amazing; the standard room which I tool was really spacious with a seating area. The TV is awkwardly positioned in the middle so you can actually pull out of its hole in the wall and tilt it wither way to watch, the bed or the seating area. Great toiletries and mini bar selection.

Food: hands down, Shangri-la is the best hotel company when it comes to food catering. Any Shangri-la I go you can’t go wrong with the food, be it room service or the varieties of the restaurant they have. I have to say, their food quality don’t come cheap. It’s too expensive to the point that you have to count it in the budget if you want to eat in the hotel. I tried room service, breakfast buffet, lounge snacks and the Japanese restaurant. All top class with no issue at all.

SPA: I tried Shangri-la’s signature spa, chi, in other location. It’s simply superb. My wife tried this hotel’s and did not have any complaints. The prices are high I would say.

Sports: swimming pool and gym are very nice, heated water and very high quality equipment. Changing room is very clean and well taken care of.

Over all, we had a very lovely two night stay at the hotel. It was not cheap at all, but it was well worth it.

Room Tip: if you can afford it, go to the new tower, the Valley Wing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Shangri-la in Beijing was my second stay at Shangri-la property and I was very much looking forward to it. Unfortunately my expectations were too great.

The hotel is older than Shangri-la in Dubai and we got rooms in the not yet renovated towers so the wear and tear was noticeable. I didn't mind as the bed was super comfortable and I even got a nice view towards the tv tower.

What I did mind is the attitude of staff. I LOVED the staff in Dubai, they were very welcoming, I couldn't keep up counting the smiles I got during my short stay, there were virtually none in Beijing.

What I really liked about the hotel was breakfast. The choice was excellent it was actually two in one - large selection of "western" stuff and very nice selection of chinese dishes like pan fried dumplings and beijing pancake. The view from the dining room overlooking the garden was nice as well.

We has a lunch at the hotel in Shang Palace and that was a highlight, the chef presented us with great tasting dim sum dishes.

The Hotel charged my card with 1000 USD on arrival which seemed a bit over the top, once I found out about this the hotel manager was kind enough to promptly charge back my card.

So my overall experience was mediocre at best. I got some quality sleeps but I didnt enjoy myself.

And one more thing - would it really be so hard to include some chinese green tea to the selection in room? It was ridiculous to see just few tea bags by Lipton

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, thank your for your comments. We were glad that you have rested well in our guest room and that you enjoyed breakfast at the Cafe with its wonderful garden views and savored dim sum at the Shang Palace. However, we are disappointed that your encounter with our staff was not up to expectation. Since your visit back in March we have already included Dilmar green tea in our complimentary in-room coffee and tea set up. Should you have a chance to visit Beijing again, do contact me at christopher.chia@shangri-la.com so that we may ensure a delightful stay experience with us.