Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$150
$223
Agoda.com
$354
2,597 results
All reviewsgarden wingshang palacechinese gardennew towerold winghorizon clubsummer palacein room diningthird ringfitness centerexcellent hotelbusiness tripconcierge staffbreakfast buffet istourist attractionsbusiness centerthe executive lounge
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Amazing expeience. Many example of attentive and personal services. Let's share one - while it takes 30 minutes to wait for taxi in the morning, the staff issue me a ticket and encourage me to hang around in the a/c'ed lobby, while they hailed cab from the street. Truly considerate. Wil recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2012

it would be Shangri-La Beijing.

There is absolutely nothing to complain about this hote. Service is brilliant, Food is good. They would accomodate your every request. I always feel that this is my home away from home. The staff are genuinely caring and that is not a request they would deny their guest.

I must say that for a while I was so spoilt by the excellent service they have rendered to me that I had expected the same of other hotels only to be disappointed.

It is such a shame that these days I rarely stay at this hotel but I do feel that the staff are like my friends in Beijing.

Well done everyone and please keep up the great work you are doing

Room Tip: The rooms in the new wing are superb. Try to get the higher floors as you can get to see smog and everything in between.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel seems to run a very interesting business model - they allot you the worst and oldest room available in the property when you check-in and when you complain about the room conditions, they try to upsell you a 'valley' wing room at double the rate. The scheme possibly works for Shangri la patrons willing to indulge since they throw in lounge access, etc for the valley rooms.
I stayed here with my husband for 1 night. We'd orignally booked for longer but decided to check out and move to a different hotel after 1 night. I've stayed at their property in Hong Kong before and the room/service provided in Beijing wasn't even close. It can possibly pass off for a basic sleep over property but you expect more from Shangri la for the price you pay.
The staff are pretentious and put on a good show of showing concern for your issues with the room as they try to upsell the newer wing.
Location is fine, lounge is alright, service is poor, rooms are depressing, room service is cold (freezing!).

Room Tip: If you're willing to pay a premium, choose a room in the valley wing
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SalzS
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Value Guest: thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Beijing and for taking the time to share your negative comments about the hotel and our offerings. We would like to further discuss the matter with you. Kindly contact our Resident Manager at hakan.ozel@shangri-la.com. Thank you.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Hotel is located well in the business district. I was on personal holiday, but it still served well. Staff is friendly and competent in English. Rooms are spacious and even the view from the front of the hotel was wonderful. Concierge staff especially helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Book a holiday Inn Express instead at half the price at a better location. Old rooms, BnB type filthy bathrooms and cold room service with indifferent staff attitude.
Mind you, the website photos and features mentioined are highly deceptive and perhaps belong to the era of the Ming dynasty.

I spend over 30 nights a year in Shangri la properties across asia and have rarely been dissappointed - but this one is a sham. Very old rooms, furniture and upholsery almost like a Bangkok massage parlor. I asked for a diiferent room and was promptly taken to another identical room on the same floor! Chose to stay in the same room instead, spend the night and check out the next morning instead of the 3 nights I had originally planned.
When I complained about the room, I was curtly told that they could upgrade me to the 'Valley' wing at double the cost.
Decided to pay 200 CNY extra instead and moved to the Ritz Carlton the next day. Much better rooms and felt like a luxury property.

Stay here only if you are willing to pay a premium to stay in the 'Valley' wing, or pay 60% of the rate and stay at the Ritz Carlton instead.

This hotel in an embarassment to the Shangri la chain and possibly the worst they have.

Btw, I ordered the curry of the day in room service for dinner. Most above avergae hotels have moved on to the concept of 'hot boxes' to transfer room service. Got a bowl of cold curry that would perhaps have been edible when warm - seemed like leftovers from the dinner buffet.

Having said all of this, I am a Golden Circle diamond loyalty member and a regular corporate patron of the group - and if I can't get average satisfaction, if you are a regular guest - you have no hope in hell!!!

Room Tip: Yes, don't choose one here..
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Devsarkar
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Digital Marketing Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Value Guest: thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Beijing and for taking the time to share your comments. We are very concerned about your negative experience on this visit with us and would very much like to further discuss the matter with you. Kindly contact our Resident Manager at hakan.ozel@shangri-la.com, thank you.