“Nice Service”

Shangri-La Hotel Beijing
Ranked #38 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
“Nice Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Great hotel, nice service, nice waitress and waiters, good conditions, and it's very big and comfortable.
I was in Beijing for a short (3 days) business trip. I selected the hotel due to its location, relatively close to my business location. The Shangri-La Hotel is a large, high range hotel which provides all services that you may need for a short business stay in the city. What impressed me was the total absence of waiting...

Room Tip: to check location if you like to stay far away airport. If yes, this will be a good one. But if you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights at the Shangri-La Beijing. I was quite impressed not only by the faultless service we received at the hotel, but also by the ability of the staff to remember our name and make us feel like welcome guests. The amenities are superb, the room having everything one could hope for and more. The breakfast buffet offered both western and chinese items of the best quality. Located on the western side near the third ring road, the hotel proved very convenient to the various locations we needed to visit. We will keep very fond memories of our stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

What impressed me was the total absence of waiting times in any occasion (at the reception, at breakfast, even the lift is always immediately available, notwithstanding the 24 floors of th building!).
The staff is kind, helpful and profesional. Communications in English were never a problem with any of the staff I interacted with.
The hotel provides excellent support to a foreign visitor also outside the hotel. For instance, I could book via internet a pick-up service at the airport (a person fetched me directly at the arrival gate). Also if you ask the concierge for any address, a restaurant, a place in Beijing, you get a printed map with indications, address, telephone number, and the taxi driver is directly instructed by the hotel staff to avoid language problems.
Breakfast is excellent though rather expensive.
A good choice of restaurants in the hotel is available, as well as a wide offer of in-room dining choices.
The hotel location is not really central, but with the taxi service one can reach the centre in about 20 min drive, traffic permitting.

Toulouse, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

One of the best Hotel I have been in Beijing, there is an ambiance that you will not find elsewhere, very confortable, it is a pleasure to take a drink in the garden or in the lobby. It is simply zen. The personnel knows how to take care of you.

The Japanese restaurant is perfect (cooking and service), I did not went to the french restaurant because the menu / choice was very minimal, the chinese restaurant (and the service) is very good, I think that the restaurant downstair (buffet / breakfast) is the one where the service is of lower quality. And the buffet is not renewed also in term of choice.

The business service are quite expensive, I had to pay a huge amount of money to simply print slides in color. Otherwise wireless is everywhere for free (you don't have to pay for every min etc ...).
Teh travel agency is very professional.

There is classical chinese music in the lobby which is great.

1 Thank Jesse110566
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Check in 4 Sept and check out 6 Sept. Very high degree of hospitality. However, odour smell found in room (Valley Wing) and conference room in Valley Wing Lounge floor (room 3), probably it is due to cleanliness of airconditioning system. Such odour disappeared after activating air-cond for about a hour. Besides, water pressure for shower in bathroom is inadequate. For breakfast, it has a lot of varieties, but congee served on 5 Sept was over-cooked (has the chef conducted final testing before serving on table?). Attitude of chef has rooms for improvement, has a big contrast with frontdesk and concierge staff, which are superb.

New Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

As many frequent travellers know, Shangri-La is a great premium hotel brand with a presence in many of the world's major cities. The Shangri-La Hotel in the Haidian district of Beijing doesn't disappoint either. The hotel consists of two main towers and this also presents one of the only real inconveniences, and that is the lack of adequate signage indicating which is the main check-in lobby. Inevitably my driver thought that Lobby Number 2 was the main entrance, when in fact it was Lobby Number 1. Not a huge deal, but after a tiring flight, a bit more complicated than necessary and a little further to walk (through the connecting hallway). It's a big hotel!

On the plus side, you don't get very far before someone rushes up to you to take your bags. However, on the minus side, this zeal got a little irritating later in my stay when I would get back to the hotel carrying a very small computer bag and even this, apparently, may have been too heavy for me to carry unaided! Better too much service, I guess, than too little!

As I was travelling alone, I preferred room service to eating in one of the restaurants - and I must say the variety and quality of the room service menu was first class (and not as expensive as you might imagine for a hotel of this quality).

The only snag happened on check-out when I brought down the mini-bar slip with my consumption of a couple of nights before. I say a "couple of nights" because the previous day the mini-bar had not been restocked, despite the fact that I had been out all day and my room had been made up. The receptionist assured me that the two items on the list had already been accounted for, but a few days later I received an email to say that wasn't the case and did I mind an additional small charge.

I did NOT mind the additional charge, but pointed out in my reply that I had brought down the list and had been assured the charges had been added. I also pointed out that there was possibly some confusion by the receptionist because the bar had not been re-stocked. I received a very swift response apologizing for the inconvenience and waiving the charge. A simple gesture that was appreciated and indicates the overall very good quality of service in this excellent hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed almost two weeks. By the end of the first day the staff knew our names, knew that i drank black coffee, knew that my wife drank earl gray tea. By the end of the second day they knew our preferences for table location and our room number. This is good in a boutique hotel but extraordinary in a large hotel, and even more extraordinary in a large multi-tower hotel that is part of a large chain. The level of attention to guests was remarkable. My wife coveted one of their silver plated tea strainers, a copy of a much more expensive sterling strainer that she never quite let herself buy in London; the waitress saw her admiring the strainer a couple of mornings and the next morning allowed her to purchase one from the hotel's stock. We found the level of English from all of the staff to be vastly improved from a previous visit. I plan to stay again when I make a month-long trip back to Beijing. The location is a little secluded; alternatively, the hotel's restaurants are very good, there are several good restaurants a short taxi ride away, and the hotel's surrounding gardens ensures that rooms are quiet at all hours of the night and day, which is not always true in Beijing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business