“Superb Hotel”

Ranked #51 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Melbourne, Australia
“Superb Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Such a luxurious hotel, with vast marble staircase in the lobby, which is surrounded by top end designer stores. Everything you wanted was available. The pool (3rd floor) was lovely but the steam room is only available in the spa. The WiFi drove me crazy with frequent drop outs - IT support only available in work hours so bring an Ethernet cable and laptop. The only fault was the bath plug leaked. I secured a corporate discount which made my stay all the better! Staff were very helpful and booked flights at a sensible price equal to my web search. Would highly recommend!!

Room Tip: The views overlooking the historic house are nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Definitely not the same class as other Peninsulas. The room size is actually small compare to many other hotel rooms in Beijing. More shocking is the tiny bathroom. The overall ambience and decor are nothing to rave about. An update is badly needed.
It's not uncommon to see furniture with scraps and bangs in China but in Peninsula, definitely not acceptable.
Yet I love their thick, fluffy towels. Its location is unbeatable, convenient to shopping, night food markets and a plethora of restaurants. Dim Sum lunch at Huang Ting was very good but dinner was so so.
Of course this is not a bad hotel but after all, wouldn't you have higher expectations from a "Peninsula"?? A disappointing experience!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Great hotel, nice and comfortable room. I definitely recommend it...and special thanks to christine wange she was very helpuel helping us with every question/train tickes /driver to the great well .....we had a great time in beijin

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is everything one would expect from the Peninsula- beautiful rooms, excellent service and good food. My favourite is the concierge's specialised maps for ramen places. There were a few other specialised maps as well. The location is perfect for shopping and eating. I highly recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Still a great location in Beijing, near shopping, night markets, and street night food markets. You can even walk to Tiamen Square.
But the rooms are of average size and are due for a facelift.
The staff were always attentive and helpful.
The breakfast buffet is better in the upper restaurant, don't let them talk you into going down to the basement level, the variety and quality of food is not as good.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bob W
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

While the Peninsula Beijing used to be the gold standard, the hotel really is starting to show its age.
Rooms and bathrooms: definitely looking more like Sheratons now then like a luxury hotel. While they have cool electronic features, they are of some desperate need of a refresh. Bed was comfortable though and service was good and attentive when they came to set up an extra bed for my son.
Breakfast: not included and predictably pricey. While it seems like a big spread, was not as impressive as a Shangri La breakfast or some other properties throughout Asia.
Location: good location, walking distance to main sights and good shopping

Our stay was fine and comfortable but would probably stay in one of the cooler new hotels next time I'm in Beijing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank KSJones1
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I really love the Peninsula Hotels -- have stayed with them in Hong Kong, Chicago, Bangkok, New York but I would not put the Beijing Peninsula on par with the others. Stayed for a week with my husband and kids -- we had three rooms and all were Club rooms. My brand loyalty led me to stay here notwithstanding that it was not among the highest rated hotels in Beijing, but I was hoping for the best.

The Pros are:
- The Concierge staff. They always had at least 2 or 3 on duty and sometimes I saw 5 there. No waiting to ask a question or arrange a service. Very pleasant, excellent English. One of the best concierge desks I have found in my travels. We bothered them for something every single day and they kept smiling!
- Airport pick up service was nice. We were too large a group to get their Bentley (max. 3 persons), but we did have a very nice Mercedes vehicle that fit us all in. Bottled water and all cooled down when we got in.
- As the Mercedes pulled up to the hotel, we were met at the curb by a team who checked us in at the curb. That was a first for me, but very helpful and efficient. Our bags were whisked away and no waiting in line at the front desk.
- Great location in the beautiful Wangfujing shopping area and very convenient to lots of other places of interest for sightseeing
- Beautiful spa -- husband, me and daughter went nearly every day although get your wallet out. Services are not cheap; no bargains because you are in China at this spa. It was calm, beautifully decorated and my masseuse (Tina) was excellent. I liked her calm, professional demeanor.
- I very much liked the tour they arranged for the family to the Great Wall. Excellent driver and guide. It just made it so much easier. We went to the Great Wall at Muntianyu and took the panoramic chair lift up and the very fun toboggan ride down after spending some very nice time up on the Great Wall. (I have been to the Great Wall on previous visits to China and think Muntianyu is the place to see.) A wonderful lunch at a very nice nearby restaurant was included.
- Housekeeping was wonderful. Our rooms were promptly made up every morning and I really loved the evening turn-down service. Always kept us with plenty of bottled water and amenities. Beds, sheets, towels were of high quality and comfortable.
- We had our choice of breakfast in the Club or in the main Jing restaurant. We really enjoyed the Jing and had excellent service there. I was surprised to see reviews that complain about the service -- not our experience at all. After our previous two weeks out in the provinces, we were very happy to have western foods: omelets, bacon, croissants, yogurt -- there was nothing missing that a lovely breakfast buffet should include.
- I liked the welcoming, smiling staff face at the revolving door in the classic Peninsula uniform.
- Our room was very quiet (at the front of the hotel on the 13th floor), although our teenage kids (two floors below us) complained that screeching little kids ran up and down their hallways day and night.

Cons:
- Rooms were disappointing and small and tired. No creative or interesting decor, small bathroom, and I was surprised the carpet in our rooms was a bit dingy. The wood furniture had some minor scrapes and bangs. I was so disappointed that I tried to pay for a different, upgraded room or suite. I discovered I had the best, non-suite room and they told me no suites were available. Although the website allowed me to book a suite. That kind of irritated me. I got tired of arguing with the guy about getting another room.
- Club service was also disappointing. The happy hour snacks were fine, but the staff did not keep them fresh and often did not refill when empty. On two of the nights when I went at a later hour, I found fruit flies covering the fruit and cheese and nuts. Eeeeew. At the Peninsula, really?
- (The Club was small but decor was fine and you could find a private, comfortable corner. Also, there was a computer and printer in there.)
- Was disappointed in a long, sales pitch I got in the spa after one of the wonderful treatments. I was all zen and relaxed at the end, but then subjected to a marketing lecture on each of the products with some substantial pressure to purchase them. Really, at the Peninsula?
- My husband and I shared a room of course, but it was impossible to share the tiny bathroom. I agree with another reviewer here who noted mildewed grout/mastic in the bathroom. I was also very unimpressed with the Oscar de la Renta shampoos and lotions.

In summary, I have to add the the prices were very good compared to other well-located 5 star hotels. So if the room ambiance and luxuriousness are not a big deal to you, this would be a good hotel to visit. Service was good and the location cannot be beat.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the main entrance was lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family