“Hotel to be recommended”

The Peninsula Beijing
Ranked #50 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Zurich, Switzerland
“Hotel to be recommended”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Peninsula at Beijing is a very good 5 Star hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The Lobby could be a little bit "cosier". It looks more of a shopping mall of the rich and beautyful. Just stores for superrich and the breakfast area could also be a bit more "open"...no daylight. But overall a very good address. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and quite. Good located in the middle of Beijing. I can recomend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were at the Peninsula Peking in September for 3 nights. We had a full program with Great Wall, Summer Palace, meeting colleages from the Office in sanlitun and at the silk market only to Point out the main attractions. The first 2 days were very smogy and we were more than happy that the infrastructure of the peninsula allowed us to enjoy the time without leaving the hotel after our trips. The bar at the entrance serves lovely tea with Sandwich, and specialities for a good Price value. We also enjoyed the Beijing duck at the Huang Ting Restaurant. It was prepared before our eyes and tasted great. We were also recommended a good and not too costy wine.The first bottle had a bad tap taste. I told the chief waiter and he opened a new bottle which then was excellent. We can really recommend this Restaurant. The hotel and the sunny end of our stay in Beijing compensated for the really bad Smog in the beginning. When going to Beijing, lock for good deals like The Peninsula, it's worth the Money. A & K

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel was a pleasure to stay at, rang for a bell boy by the time I got to my door he was there
I always use the club facilities, the staff were there to assist and get you what you wanted and their English very good.
The room was also very nice
I could not find a fault with this Hotel, but then I have found all the Peninsula Hotels to be of a 5 star quality
So if you are looking for a 5 Star Hotel with 5 Star service this is it

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

From the time we arrived to the moment we left for the train station for our trip to Shanghai the staff at the hotel looked after us with great care. We were upgraded to a duplex room and were given executive lounge access as well as a voucher for the spa and the restaurants.
We don't make a habit of evening our evening meals in our hotel preferring to find local restaurants but on our last night we dined in Huang Ting and can say it was one of our favourite meals on this month long trip through Asia. We only wish we had dined in this restaurant at the start of our stay and we may have chosen to eat here every night!
Our room was deliciously spacious and had everything we required to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The bathrooms were luxurious and well appointed (yes I said bathrooms, there was a powder room on the entry level as well as a full bathroom on the upper level. The double storey window with a view out over the city was such a bonus as we had some beautiful clear blue winter skies and snow during our visit.
We can't wait to get back to Beijing to stay at the Peninsula again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chellmc59
hong kong
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My recently stay at the Peninsula Beijing was perfectly adequate. Unfortunately when you think of the Peninsula brand "adequate" isn't the word that should come to mind. Arriving at the hotel late in the evening from the airport the hotel driveway was backed up with private cars simply stopped waiting. The taxi could only drop me off a ways down the driveway, the numerous door staff all saw me getting out of the taxi and me lifting my two large suitcases out of the trunk, no one came forward to offer assistance. I rolled my luggage to the doors past probably 4 staff members and no one said a word. I saw this happen to other guests throughout my stay. I kept going all the way to the front desk with numerous staff standing around and not a word. At check in the front desk staff were polite, but the check in took forever. I understand that in China copies of passports need to be taken etc. but compared to the Grand Hyatt Beijing check in this was incredibly slow and disorganized. My room had been prepaid by the company but I was told my tour group had paid, a small error in words but strange none the less. Only after the long check in process was I directed towards the elevators and almost as an after thought the lady asked "Do you need help with your luggage?". At that point I certainly did not.
My room was at the far end of the corridor, the hotel layout is strange with the elevators at one end of the hotel and most rooms at the other, meaning an incredibly long walk to and from my room every time. The rooms are very dated but well maintained. everything was clean and well kept. The bathroom was particularly dated.
I ate breakfast only on the first two mornings as the whole set up was very disorganized and chaotic. Queueing for a table and then trying, in vain, to flag down one of the staff to order a coffee made the whole experience not worth it. Staff were wandering around looking lost, cutlery seemed to constantly be being dropped on the floor and restaurant managers barking orders to the staff who appeared clueless. You could sense the manager's frustration. They certainly put out a nice breakfast buffet with a lot of choices so it's unfortunate the service lets them down. On my third morning I began walking over to Starbucks in the Regent hotel.

If in Beijing for pleasure the location is fantastic. If for business then I would definitely go back to my usual Grand Hyatt where effiency and service are much better. All in all I think there are much better choices in Beijing.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The title says it all really, this is a very good property but if you know the Peninsula brand from other properties (in particular Hong Kong or Shanghai) then you may be a bit disappointed in the standard of service which is clearly a notch down. The location is very good in the middle of all the attractions and the businesses. The building is a bit dated, though and the service is really not inspiring at all. Having said that, the "average" rating is relative to its five stars. This is still a very good and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Arnold, Maryland
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Peninsula Beijing is perfectly located for business or pleasure. You can walk to many shopping areas, tourist areas or hop on the subway which is just across the street and quite easy to navigate. Within a few short blocks you can find the best products of old and new China and even the western joys of KFC if that pushes your buttons. Service at the hotel is first rate, the rooms are lovely and relaxing and all is as you would expect at any Peninsula around the world - first rate. The lobby is very busy but this is Beijing and most everything is very busy. I've stayed here before and I'll stay here again. You can actually do quite well if you shop on line a bit for prices. The Trip Advisor comparative site is a good place to begin.