“Classy property, good location, service can be improved”

The St. Regis Beijing
Ranked #33 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“Classy property, good location, service can be improved”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed at this property for two nights during the relatively quiet Chinese New Year. As said, the location is great as it is very close to Tiananman Square and the Changan Street, tucked away in a quiet corner near the embassies. Service is reasonable as you would expect in a 5-star property. Food is slightly overpriced in the Chinese Restaurant, and the service in breakfast could be better. Rooms are quite large and certainly looks newer than the Peninsula Beijing.

Tip: They place chocolates in your room when they turn the bed, do ask for the Chinese Sweet Berries, it's delicious!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms that face the famous CCTV Tower
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear William S,

Thank you very much for taking the time and detailed opinions about your recent stay here at The St. Regis Beijing.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our location and room facilities. Please be assured that your opinions are taken very seriously and we will take the necessary measures to do an internal follow up and ensure that issue you mentioned doesn’t happen in the future.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

My family and I spend 3 wonderful nights at this hotel and the service was perfect. The concierge was extremely helpful I'm helping us make our dinner reservation and getting us directions to te restaurant.

The breakfast buffet was delicious and plentiful. The service during breakfast was exceptional. The finished plates never sat for more than a couple of seconds before they were swooped up by the waitstaff.

The guest room was immaculately clean and had nice amenities . The only negative thing that I could find is that the pillows are very hard and we tried several using the pillow menu.
All in all, I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear horadam1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor website.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our F&B service and facilities.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this lovely hotel for six days and I must say that I truly did enjoy my time (albeit not much as I was there to work). I was in particular very pleased that everyone spoke good English and my interactions with staff was very much with ease. Staff weber very polite, smiling and greeting (most of the time).

The two places that I enjoyed most were the Club Lounge and the Press Club Bar :) Staff at the bar were attentive, prompt and seemed to enjoy their work there which made the atmosphere positive. I will mention that I especially liked two staff in particular (Eric, I believe he's a trainee and another girl whose name eludes me right now sadly; but she worked with Eric) at the bar. The club lounge has a good wine during the happy hour with a decent selection of canapés (however I would suggest a better election of cheese might be in order).

The hotel has a lovely indoor pool and a decent enough spa. There are several dining options to choose from so one will not be disappointed for variety of palates. I enjoyed the great selections at the buffet restaurant, a great variety indeed.

My experience with check-in and check-out was efficient and prompt (always appreciated) but my one land only visit to the Concierge with utterly dissatisfactory! I had the displeasure of dealing with Mr Neil Wang whom I found most unhelpful, rude with an almost rebuffing attitude. A training in basic courtesy, being attentive at the desk, smiling and listening skills are due (in my opinion at least).

The hotel itself is very well maintained, clean and the decor is not overdone like many luxury hotels but very much easy on the eyes.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Hament R
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear HamentRai,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor website.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our service and facilities.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

This was my first St Regis experience as I spent two nights in town for business. My last stay in the Peninsula was disappointing, so I decided to give this a shot.

The hotel location is within the central district but it is far off from the main shopping and restaurant area. There are not much around the hotel if you want to eat out.

As a SPG member, I got upgraded to the diplomat deluxe room, which was quite spacious with a separate lounge area. The decor was classic but old fashioned - certainly not the taste for a young business traveller like me.

The personal butler service was ok but a bit overrated. When I asked for where to have the best Peking duck, it took her quite some time to revert back with recommendations. I could have done this myself by googling it in a 30 second. She should also be more proactive in understanding the guest's need. Her English skill was also basic - then I changed to use Mandarin instead.

A lot of people raved about the spa but for me it was not up to standard as a 5-star hotel. It was located in the other residence building - quite a bit of a walk. The pool was huge but it felt like a public swimming pool. There was nothing special about it. The plunge pool and steam room were not particularly clean, no attendant was found nearby.

One night I ordered room service after a long day of meetings. The garden salad and udon were blend with no taste at all. So my advice is to avoid room service and eat out, even if you need take a cab.

All in all, I will not come back to this St Regis for my next visit in Beijing. I will probably choose Grand Hyatt - at least the service is guaranteed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelGeekz
Dear TravelGeekz,

Our hotel prides itself on providing bespoke services, and when things do go wrong we rectify them immediately.

We will be ensuring that your profile is updated and that your stays from now will be everything you would expect and more.

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Well known because in part its been around over a decade, the 'old girl' (the Reggie as she is affectionately known by locals) suffers from needing more than the the partial upgrade to some of the main public areas put in place around the time of the Olympic games. The rooms are spotlessly clean, & in the one's I've recently been staying in, certainly everything 'works'--as it should, but doesn't always in China! Sadly a dated style betrays it & whilst comfortable for sure, you can forget any notion of 'luxury' that is often associated with the St Regis 'brand in the Starwood stable. It aint here. Sob.
Most disappointing was the food. A breakfast that lacks quality, style & innovation, & whilst properly influenced by the need to cater profoundly for the middleclass Chinese that seem to like it a lot, not even the CHINESE catering option was 5star >> more like 2star! But the gravest failure is when buffets aren't kept going..& The Court is guilty, as charged...Exhausted plates of nothing! Dried-out remnants & droopy salad leaves leave one desparing for something better....... This type of experience was too often the order of the day over a recent one week stay---morning AND evening it was never right--early or late(not that that should matter) the frustration was always there.. Upstairs the expensive Italian restaurant basks in a reputation not deserved & could not be recommended. Elsewhere in a vain attempt at modernisation. the men's Spa has had installed a TV set in the still-pool area (a NONO) because the set-up is without a post-sauna relaxation area where such an intrusion just 'might' be tolerated. Relaxing in a pool after a session in the (good) saunas is rendered IMPOSSIBLE if some dullard insists on watching a fighting show with the volume on HIGH. Makeshift & inadequate seating rounds off the disappointing experience there.
One would stay at St Regis for convenience ..nothing more. I suspect it has drifted into an affordable Western style hotel for ignorant locals who, not having travelled, must believe THIS is what 5star is all about. It isn't!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank John N
Dear John N,

Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Hotel for people who love "old charm", not for people that expect trendy. Overall good hotel, it is clear the staff is trained to deliver 5 star service. However, they dont deliver good sevice because they want to but because they are taught so. And you can feel that because they dont think for themselves, and miss out on the details, which is what makes a 5 star hotel a REAL 5 star. This one lacks authenticity. Also the breakfast food is not so good. Lots of variety but all baked goods are dry and taste stale. The yoghurts and yakults are expired over a month. You have to ask coffee several times and it is cold when it finally arrives. In room dining came without cutlery. And when we used glasses or other things in the room they were not replaced (we stayed 5 nights). We only got shaving equipment on the last day. Not all that important but not good for a 5 star hotel...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NadiaConefa
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear NadiaConefa,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Love this hotel.
The bath products make you feel so good.
The spa is amazing. My husband and I used every inch of our sides and met at the pool for some love.
The breakfast was delicious. Dumplings is pretty much all we ate. We grabbed a few other items in curiosity like the melon, cucumber little smoothies and the homemade granola. A fantastic cappuccino hit the spot while my lover drank his tea.
We only got to stay one night bc Beijing was a stop over for us.
Wish it was longer.
Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fiercelu
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear fiercelu,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor website.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our F&B service and Spa facilities.