“Worse starwood hotel i've ever been”

The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel
Ranked #1,696 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
“Worse starwood hotel i've ever been”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Im a plat member and the service they give me is terrible. They were supposed to pick me up at airport but never did. Their room is so dusty makes me allergy. And they move me to another room but they ask me to pay. The concierge told me that the rest in 21 st floor is open. When i went up i got chased away. I complained to the manager. But he didn't say or do anything.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edwin P, Manager at The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear St220284,

thank you for leaving your comments on tripadvisor.

Could you please contact us personally on the following email address:
0175GWSH.Guest-relations@sheraton.com

We would like to find out how it could happen that the requested airport service was not delivered to you so that we can come with a solution for the occurred inconvenience.

With Best Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My non-smoking room smelled like a smoldering ash-tray. The carpeting was stained in my room, the hallways and all of the general areas.

The staff were incredibly helpful and very kind.

The lounge entertainment rivaled a high-school talent show with matching costumes. Unintentionally funny.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank wanderlustMBA
Thank you for taking the time to complete our on-line guest questionnaire regarding your most recent stay with us here at The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel.

After reviewing your feedback, we see that some of your expectations were met, however there are also areas where we could have done better.
We are glad to hear that you found the staff were incredibly helpful and very kind. We put a lot of training effort in the service aspect as the property is ageing.
In regards to the condition of our hotel, the Great Wall Sheraton was the first International hotel in China and is now in its 30th year of operation. We acknowledge that the time has come for the property to undergo an upgrade to current day design trends and standards.
Hotel Ownership and Starwood as the hotel operator already have plans in place to undertake an extensive refurbishment and we hope to be able to get started with the project in the near future. We remain confident that when complete, your concerns will have been adequately addressed. In the meantime we have adjusted our room rates to a competitive level taking into consideration the above.

Should you have anything else that you might like to share with us, please feel free to do so. We certainly appreciate your feedback and would do our very best to constructively address your concerns.

Thank you again, and we do look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel in the near future,

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Taipei
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Old hotel, still use the old CRT TV in guest rooms. The elevator doors closed so quickly, you need to run to get into the elevator, and still have the risk of slammed by the doors. The room I stayed on the 12th floor has cracks in the bathroom sink (see photo). Not a pleasant hotel for stays beyond 2 days.

Having said that, I do wish to commend the good service provided by their staff. I'd left a bag of mobile charger, camera charger, power adapters when I checked out, and happily found that they had stored it at their 'Lost and Found'. I did get it back 2 days after I check out. Hats off to their Guest services team!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the street traffic.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear

I note that overall you rated your stay with us as being quite positive and simply wanted to reach out and thank you for your feedback
As you mentioned The Great Wall Sheraton was the first International hotel in China and is now in its 29th year of operation. We acknowledge that the time has come for the property to undergo an upgrade to current day design trends and standards.
Hotel Ownership and Starwood as the hotel operator already have plans in place to undertake an extensive refurbishment and we hope to be able to get started with the project in the near future. I remain confident that when complete, your concerns will have been adequately addressed. In the meantime we have adjusted our room rates to a competitive level taking into consideration the above.
It is always nice when a guest takes the time to convey to us that they enjoyed our service as this tends to confirm and validate the time, effort and training that we provide to our associates in our quest to deliver a quality guest experience. I will certainly share your feedback with the staff to reinforce with them how important their individual roles are to the success of the hotel and to also convey how much you appreciated their effort.
Thank you again, and we do hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel when you next visit Beijing.

Best Regards,
Reviewed May 17, 2014

It was really a bad Experience as memorized the room number wrongly as I thought it should be 1253(actual 1557) that while informed to receptionist my name and room number 1253 that she didn't checked as direct given me the key card with room 1253. I was shocked while I opened the door as it was not my room and luckily the room guest was not in. Which is very embarrassed. Isn't it should check the guest name in system before re-issue the card?

Furthermore as I called to request the room wifi password but they unable given me the correct wifi password and lastly just said room only have Lan cable and free wifi at lobby only! Then my handphone can search "rm 1557" which needed password to access. Isn't it ridiculous?

It was very unpleasant stayed for SPG group in China as even Le Meridien Shanghai and Sheraton Shanghai the days before.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Josten C,

thank you for your comments. As you also contacted the Starwood Costumer Service Center regarding this issue, I have send you conatced you personally about this occured situation.

Once more our apologies and we have retrained our staff in the safety and security guidelines.

We look forward to welcome you back to The GreaT Wall Sheraton Hotel Beijing
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Very comfirtable room.its not located in the center but you can walk to the metro station "agriculture exhibition centre"in 2 minutes abd its 2 ¥.

Great views and great service.concierge very helpful. However one of them quite unpolite (someone with a black suit). We asked him a question and his mobile was ringing,took the phone call and left without even looking at us.

In general i would recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is not a bad hotel and the price is right. What I really like about it is that it is not far from the airport. The airport is NE of the city and this hotel is in that area about 15 minutes from the airport. The traffic in Beijing can be horrendous at times, so on my way traveling out of the city, I always stay at this hotel.
It is not new and starting to show signs of age. But the rooms are well kept and bathrooms are clean and nice. Lots of restaurants on site and plenty to do. Great place to overnight. Nice club room floors with breakfast too for Platinum members.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Front Office Manager at The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Larry8241

thank you for leaving your comments.

Yes our hotel indeed conveniently loctaed near the airport express way.
The Great Wall Sheraton is in it 30th year of operation but we our doing everything to keep it into shape and pay attention to cleanliness and maintance.
Our hotel is surrounded by restaurants on walking distance, Sanlitun, Solana and lucky street are all near by.
We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed here for almost 2 weeks for work. It had everything that I needed, and was a quick walk to the Agriculture subway station. There is a lot around but you definitely have to do some walking. The staff was really friendly and was always willing to help with taxis and other suggestions for places to go. As others noted, it is a little dated, but not too bad.

The one con to note is that free wireless is available in some areas of the hotel and not others. I was here for a few days, left town and then came back. The first room had wireless but the next did not. Heard similar from other co-workers also staying here.

Room Tip: 16th floor had wireless, but the 14th did not. Heard from co-workers on the lower floors that they...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear NCTexan2011,

thank you very much for leaving your review.

As we are in the 30th year of operation we try to focus on cleanliness and staff friendliness. Thanks for pointing that out. The hotel is indeed located near two subway stations, one is as you mention the agricultural center, and the other is liangmaqiao. Both are between 5 and 10 minutes’ walk. There are several small restaurants on walking distance, bigger shopping, dining and entertainment areas are about 20 minutes away by foot.

You noted that on some floors there was WIFI and on others not, currently we are slowly installing WIFI. This is done floor by floor and may take some time. However in all public areas there is free WIFI available.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcome you back.